Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss CAI

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/11, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss CAI

So I've been looking at a CAI for my Boss. JLT has one in Carbon Fiber for the stock 5.0L that will work with the Boss 302 (you have to specify Boss 302 when ordering) and Steeda has introduced one for the Boss intake. Steeda's comes with an SCT tune but JLT's does not include any tune.

I'm going to wait to see how all this plays out with the Track Key before I jump in but wanted everyone's opinion - has anyone used CAI's from either company before and what were your impressions?

I have to tell you, I like the Carbon Fiber look from JLT but want the one that will give me the best bang for the buck - plus some extra ponies!
Old 6/14/11, 09:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yeah that looks pretty slick. I doubt I'll modify my engine outside TracKey but if someone comes up with a CAI and tune that adds 30+ HP I'll give it serious consideration. Remember the 302R and 302S run the stock air box.

Old 6/14/11, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the JLT carbon fiber and it came with 3 BAMA tunes. I love it and can feel a real difference in the power but I can't tell you if it's from the CAI or just the tune.
Old 6/15/11, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Y Remember the 302R and 302S run the stock air box.
Both of the race cars have to run restricter plates. No need to add air just to take it away.
Old 6/15/11, 08:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Both of the race cars have to run restricter plates. No need to add air just to take it away.
Good point.
Old 6/15/11, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there's a gain from a CAI, don't you think Ford Racing will offer one eventually? I know the tune won't be as aggressive as the after-market tuners, but even so if there's more power to be made (reliably) I would think FRPP would sell one.
Old 6/15/11, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh and I meant to post this up yesterday. CLEAN YOUR FILTERS! I can't believe the debris our cars suck into the airbox. Maybe it's just coming from the track events, but after every track day I've dumped literally the kitchen sink out of my filter. I had the car all prepped last weekend and remembered to check the air filter Monday night. It was absolutely loaded with junk! Leaves, twigs, rubber, rocks. Apparently the factory intake is doing its job. I'd encourage all of you to check your filters.
Old 6/15/11, 08:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is ALWAYS a gain from a new intake, of the 100's of times people said there wouldn't be on pretty much every model mustang.
Old 6/15/11, 08:53 AM

I've already purchased the JLT CF intake for mine, but won't be installing it until after we see what TracKey has to offer in the way of tuning.
Old 6/15/11, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
There is ALWAYS a gain from a new intake, of the 100's of times people said there wouldn't be on pretty much every model mustang.
The question isn't necessarily is there a gain. It's is there a significant gain that can be had with any degree of reliability. Boosting a motor or tuning to the edge on a car that gets pulled through four gears for 10-12 seconds down a drag strip is a totally different proposition than pounding one for 25 minutes around a road course in 90F ambient temps staying between 5000-7500 RPM
Old 6/15/11, 10:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is something I do not plan to do at this time but let us know how it comes out.

Have you checked with Steeda on the tune, I know they have added the Boss intake to the 5.0's and have a tune for that but do they have a Boss specific tune? Below is a pic of an 11 Steeda car with the Boss intake.

The other pic is the Boss from TMS Autosports, you can ask Tedd Seigel about any tune or if they even added one. 954 425 0058
Attached Thumbnails Boss CAI-cimg1323.jpg   Boss CAI-cimg1336.jpg  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/15/11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 6/15/11, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading in the latest Mustang 5.0 magazine about the tuning done on the Boss engine, I personally would be leery of any aftermarket CAI change that might work on the GT. There was a lot of work done for the RPM range above 7500 RPMs. The article describes how much of a challenge it was.
Old 6/15/11, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Reading in the latest Mustang 5.0 magazine about the tuning done on the Boss engine, I personally would be leery of any aftermarket CAI change that might work on the GT. There was a lot of work done for the RPM range above 7500 RPMs. The article describes how much of a challenge it was.
I've gotta find a copy of that article.

In the meantime, a K&N should be just fine. I'm assuming the airbox itself is the same as the '11 GT?
Old 6/15/11, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I've gotta find a copy of that article.

In the meantime, a K&N should be just fine. I'm assuming the airbox itself is the same as the '11 GT?
I assume you mean filter to place in the stock airbox, correct?
Old 6/15/11, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I assume you mean filter to place in the stock airbox, correct?
yes.
Old 6/15/11, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
yes.
and that is merely for longevity/cost savings around replacing an OE filter every so often, right
Old 6/15/11, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Good dialog, I'm not interested in doing a CAI unless someone can provide a Boss specific tune. I know the CAI can work physically with the Boss intake but it needs to be optimized to the entire engine package.

The JLT intake wins on appearance but I'm greedy and want both form and function!

Thanks Scott for the reference, I'll call TMS
Old 6/15/11, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

i think the point of that article was all the work to make the heads flow and to get the vehicle to meet its internal durability goal of 150k as stated. i seriously doubt the car will last that long in most hands if driven the way it was intended don't you? anyway you just need the cai and dyno tune, i am having a dyno tune, cai, headers, and a catted x added in a few weeks. so ill see how well it all works. if i can make it there is a track day at eagle canyon raceway the weekend after the install that would make for some nice comparisons since i ran the car stock there already.
Old 6/15/11, 09:27 PM
GT Member

hello neighbor

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i think the point of that article was all the work to make the heads flow and to get the vehicle to meet its internal durability goal of 150k as stated. i seriously doubt the car will last that long in most hands if driven the way it was intended don't you? anyway you just need the cai and dyno tune, i am having a dyno tune, cai, headers, and a catted x added in a few weeks. so ill see how well it all works. if i can make it there is a track day at eagle canyon raceway the weekend after the install that would make for some nice comparisons since i ran the car stock there already.
Eagle Canyon is not far from where I live. I plan to race there when my car comes in. Where do you plan to have all of these mods done to your car? I didnt think we had any "Good" Mustang performance shops in North TX...........BTW I Live in Weatherford.
Old 6/15/11, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
The key word is DURABILITY

Quick Reply: Boss CAI