Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss Audio

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/12, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss Audio

I am looking for an alternative to the stereo jack in the center console. Has anyone retrofitted a USB connection to the stock deck to play music through? I would like to be able to play music using my iPhone without having to take off the case to use the stereo connector.

I noticed this feature on the new 2013 models so that is why I am asking.

Thanks!
Old 5/17/12, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy a different case?
Old 5/17/12, 10:23 AM
Banned

The case I have is completely waterproof and is still very slim and they currently do not make another one like it.

I am not really concerned about money, I would rather not have to take my case off.
Old 5/17/12, 12:58 PM
GT Member

You could get a splitter for the cigarette adapter with built-in USB ports...
Old 5/17/12, 01:01 PM
Banned

Oh, I was unaware that you could play music through the cigarette adapter.
Old 5/17/12, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DRock9
There is no cigarette lighter in the new stangs.
Old 5/17/12, 02:16 PM
Banned

Then what are my two 12V outlets that I have in my car?
Old 5/17/12, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are just 12V outlets called Power Points.
There is a Smoker's Package that includes a lighter and ashtray, but, it is available only on regular Mustangs and is a Fleet only option.
Old 5/17/12, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just 12V outlets
Old 5/17/12, 04:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

LMAO That's part of the retro theme.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution here.
Old 5/17/12, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

RCWALP and more

ZOMG! 6 replies ( not counting my ignore list ) and nobody slamming the OP for daring to ask how to improve/modify the audio in the '12 Boss! But I'm sure eventually that noise will eventually happen.

The best solution you may have would be to take your Boss to a pro installer, and have them lay out your input source options with the stock head unit. My wife's '11 GT has the Shaker 500 and it's cool having BT/USB options, but I don't know what the base quote/unquote 'premium' head unit has, so either more internet/forum searching, or check with a pro installer.

Good luck with what you decide on, I want to keep the stock HU on my '13 Boss, even after upgrading the rest. I am really not impressed with the after market kits, they look like crap.
Old 5/17/12, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

I am just starting to design a system for my Boss. My goals are to use some existing amps that I bought about 4 years ago for my last vert. I already replaced the speakers throughout the Boss, but the stock HU is not doing them justice. I have an Eclipse head unit, a Kicker 400 for a JL audio sub, and a Kicker 4x150 for the speakers that I will install. I plan to mount the amps on a board that I can disconnect with just a power, ground and speaker harness. Then use some sort of strap or bolt that I can unhook to remove the sub and amps for track days, but will look nearly invisible when you open the trunk - any ideas are welcome here! My last goal is to incorporate a Boss theme for car shows. I am trying to create something unique, and have the best of both worlds on street and track.
I know that many folks are happy enough with just the exhaust tone. I have the sides open all the time, but I love music and I am a musician.
Anyone tackle the removable part yet?
Old 5/18/12, 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GGGforce
I am just starting to design a system for my Boss. My goals are to use some existing amps that I bought about 4 years ago for my last vert. I already replaced the speakers throughout the Boss, but the stock HU is not doing them justice. I have an Eclipse head unit, a Kicker 400 for a JL audio sub, and a Kicker 4x150 for the speakers that I will install. I plan to mount the amps on a board that I can disconnect with just a power, ground and speaker harness. Then use some sort of strap or bolt that I can unhook to remove the sub and amps for track days, but will look nearly invisible when you open the trunk - any ideas are welcome here! My last goal is to incorporate a Boss theme for car shows. I am trying to create something unique, and have the best of both worlds on street and track.
I know that many folks are happy enough with just the exhaust tone. I have the sides open all the time, but I love music and I am a musician.
Anyone tackle the removable part yet?
One of the chapters in Jimmy Pribble's Boss thread has a link to his blog showing his audio upgrade, which I believe has a removable sub enclosure. His whole thread is worth reading if you haven't checked it out yet.

I talked to a shop about a complete HU back upgrade to my '13 Boss once it arrives. I had the idea of replacing the Boss door panels with a pair from a car that had the Shaker system, as it has the factory 8" speaker grilles down on the bottom of the door. The owner of the shop thought this was a great idea, and we have spec'ed out a full JL Audio upgrade for my Boss. This will allow for 'big sound' up front w/o the need for a sub out back. Sure if I was made of money I'd go for a big sub out back as well, but I'd rather just invest in a quality amp and speakers in the doors for now. I can always add a sub later if I wish.
Old 5/18/12, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JL makes a stealth box for these cars. I'm still on the fence if the clean sweep actually works ok I'll probably upgrade I don't like any of the dash kits. Figure just some 2-ways front and rear surface mount the tweeters so no real holes, 5 channel XD amp, and a stealth box. Should be all i'm looking for.
Old 5/18/12, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I installed my radio, I just ran my Ipod connector into the center console and cut a small hole to leave my ipod there, of course, I'm not using the stock radio, etc., anymore.
Old 5/18/12, 07:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.

I just wasn't sure if there was an OEM setup I could throw in there so that it maintained factory parts.
Old 5/18/12, 11:29 AM
GT Member

I misread your post, my bad.
Old 5/20/12, 06:27 AM
V6 Member

I tried the PAC for the factory radio but it still didn't give me the flat responds that a new HU did. The factory HU with the auto EQ is based on the factory speakers. The first thing I did was the speakers and amp but it didn't have what I was looking for. I then put the JBL MS-8 in and it helped but not very impressive. Then I decided to do it right, on a budget that is. Removed the PAC, MS-8 added another amp ( they fit in the spare tire well and out of sight ) HU, Metra console ( will be swapping for a Schosie ) MTX thunderform. Sound great after tuning it.

PS. at least with a new hu you can get bluetooth for hands free calling and usb for the ipod, jumpdrive ect..

Last edited by racered302; 5/20/12 at 06:29 AM.
Old 5/20/12, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Glad you found the solution you needed for your '12 Boss. I'm lucky that the '13 Boss has Sync, so I don't face the same limitations the '12 had. Can you post up some pix or vid of your install please?

Thanks.
Old 5/20/12, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the solution you've all been looking for. I installed a pro clip for my iPhone 4S that holds the phone right under the center vents and plugs right into the power source between them. This looks super clean and is perfect for navigation apps, auto log apps, etc. it almost looks like it came with the car, and always keeps the phone charged.

2nd, I purchased a unit called the Satechi soundfly BT ultimate. It is a Bluetooth receiver that your phone can use hands free calling with as well as stream audio. This unit can then pipe the music/phone calls into your stereo through aux or should you choose can also function as an FM transmitter. I plugged it in the center console. I then wired the mic under the tunnel (there's actually a removable cover inside the center console for running wires). The mic is hidden on my steering wheel column and is securely mounted. Phone calls sound perfect, voice commands to Siri are perfect, and echo cancellation is fantastic.

My only gripe is that the mustangs do not disconnect power when you turn the car off, so you need to turn the unit off by holding the power button down when you leave the car.

I paid 60 dollars for the Satechi on amazon. The pro clip I paid about 100 for. Maybe a little pricey, but this setup is very clean with no wires showing, and IMO accomplishes what the boss needs.

Here's a couple of pics of the parts. The proclip shows the mounting location. Once you buy the piece shown, then you buy the mount specific to your device-- iPhone, android, garmin, blackberry, etc.

Also, the soundfly has an SD card reader on it for music files, and also has an aux port, so if you want to just leave it plugged in but need to plug something into aux you can. It's also cool on my other cars that don't have aux ports because it lets devices plug into it and then it broadcasts over fm. And the FM transmission on this is the best I've ever seen, and I've used a lot. It's powerful enough to completely drown out a local station with minimal hiss. Of course the boss has aux though.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Johnny5alive; 5/20/12 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss Audio