2012-2013 BOSS 302

Blocked off Side Exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/12 | 02:01 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why do you think this?

Right. He seems to think Ford just slapped them on with no thought to performance. When the Boss is all about performance.
Old 12/28/12 | 02:06 PM
GT Member

I dont like this topic.
Old 12/28/12 | 05:10 PM

Well Gentlemen,

I have a 2005 GT-different engine. I love the Coyote engine so that's why I want a Boss. I would actually prefer the GT but can't get the Boss engine (as modified by Ford) in that car so I'm trying to modify the Boss to fit my desires.

I have been involved with bikes for many years and have a 2012 BMW S1000RR. It weighs about 450 lbs and has 193hp at the crank, look it up. In other words weighs about one-tenth as much as a Boss with almost one-half the HP. It has a custom full Akrapovic exhaust system installed amongst other modifications. So I have some experience with exhaust systems.

I think the side pipes like the Boss's sound tube are there to appease the buyer and are not performance enhancements. The manner of the side exhausts and the tiny little hole may well create turbulence in the tubes which may hinder the extraction of exhaust gases I don't know this for a fact but I don't like the right angle turns and small diameter. Exhaust gas behaves like a liquid and even if the restrictor plates are removed not much exhaust is going to make a 90 degree turn to enter these little side pipes. They are there to make noise for the driver and if I'm that driver I would rather the exhaust continue undisturbed to the rear of the car.

For the gentlemen who was concerned that blocking off the side pipes would create too much back pressure, I offer: Back pressure is not always bad, especially at low RPM. Moreover since this engine has variable cam timing on both the intake and exhaust, I doubt back pressure or the lack thereof is an issue for it.

Curtis
Old 12/28/12 | 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cwcary
Well Gentlemen,

I have a 2005 GT-different engine. I love the Coyote engine so that's why I want a Boss. I would actually prefer the GT but can't get the Boss engine (as modified by Ford) in that car so I'm trying to modify the Boss to fit my desires.
What about the engine is worth the premium? I suppose if you like spinning and making power at the top-end (shades of your motorcycle enthusiast experiences?), then it would be worth it. And I am in NO way minimizing the Boss 302 engine - awesome engine conceived for a specific purpose. The standard 5.0 is an excellent engine in its own right.

I have been involved with bikes for many years and have a 2012 BMW S1000RR. It weighs about 450 lbs and has 193hp at the crank, look it up. In other words weighs about one-tenth as much as a Boss with almost one-half the HP.
Seems like NO car would match the acceleration experience

It has a custom full Akrapovic exhaust system installed amongst other modifications. So I have some experience with exhaust systems.
The engineers who designed the Boss exhaust system have specifically worked on the Mustang with a full armada of engineering tools, so I believe they have some credence there

I think the side pipes like the Boss's sound tube are there to appease the buyer and are not performance enhancements. The manner of the side exhausts and the tiny little hole may well create turbulence in the tubes which may hinder the extraction of exhaust gases I don't know this for a fact but I don't like the right angle turns and small diameter. Exhaust gas behaves like a liquid and even if the restrictor plates are removed not much exhaust is going to make a 90 degree turn to enter these little side pipes.
The design of this system was to indeed move the sound experience CLOSER to the ears. This system was marketed as something to increase the volume and tonal qualities while NOT impacting the scavenging effects. There was much consideration given to the arrangement, especially with meeting noise regulations, so I would not characterize it as "hindering" but designed for a specific purpose.

They are there to make noise for the driver and if I'm that driver I would rather the exhaust continue undisturbed to the rear of the car.
Everyone has their preference, of course. That system is so unique to this vehicle that taking it away removes part of the "essence" associated with the car. If it were me, as suggested by someone else, I'd be keeping that part to go with the car for a future sale, since I believe it would possibly reduce desirability to another buyer.

For the gentlemen who was concerned that blocking off the side pipes would create too much back pressure, I offer: Back pressure is not always bad, especially at low RPM. Moreover since this engine has variable cam timing on both the intake and exhaust, I doubt back pressure or the lack thereof is an issue for it.

Curtis
I also doubt there would be a concern with back pressure by plugging up the holes.
Old 12/28/12 | 06:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have to agree with the others. Idk why you'd want the boss engine over the regular coyote for what it seems like you want it for. From what I've heard the regular coyote is pretty dang good haha. The boss motor is great in it's own rights and it's good at what it was built for. Idk if you'd use it for what it's built for though. But hey maybe you will! Myself, I like to customize the car and make it mine. Power to you if you can buy what you want (that'll be awesome someday). I personally would start with the regular gt and make it mine. I have no use for the boss motor. Just my .02 post pics when you get it!

Last edited by 06blackvertstang; 12/28/12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12/28/12 | 08:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You right the back pressure probably won't be increased much by blocking the pipes, and for me the sound was never enough so I went with a good cat back on my Boss. If you have the money I say go for it.
Old 12/28/12 | 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

install some sound deadner on the floor boards under the carpet. That should do the trick
Old 12/28/12 | 09:34 PM

Tony Alonso,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Indeed the BMW S1000RR is frighteningly fast and brutal being essentially a race bike in street trim. Look it up on the Youtube or the net. It is the same bike used in the WSBK (World Super Bike) series as seen on TV save those are a bit lighter and make over 200HP. It is pulling so hard at 150 mph that I'm intimidated so far and roll off the throttle.

I don't know the history of this (Boss) particular exhaust system so I will bow to your knowledge. It just looks to me like an "add on". However having said that, the only thing I ever wanted to do was block off the restrictor plates and leave the system installed and intact and was asking if anyone had done that and if so what noise reduction in the cabin was experienced, if any.

I accept your statement that the side pipes do not hinder the scavenging and in fact all I said was it might hinder scavenging for all I knew. But it certainly does not enhance performance in my view (like the so called "sound tube") and I agree it is, as you stated, to enhance the sound.

O6blackverstang, I like the Boss engine for what it is and I'm not sure what it is intended for since this is a car for use on the street and is in nowise a race car. I also like the adjustable shocks and other items, but truth be told it really doesn't matter why I want if I can afford it, right?

Brandon302, I don't think back pressure matters much in this engine if you are speaking of the anti-reversion needed when using cam(s) with a large overlap, since the cams offer variable timing while the engine is running and under load I would expect overlap, if any to be miimal. I too would like to place a set of long tube headers and maybe some different silencers, but that is about $5,000 and will have to await another day.

Thanks, for your replies,

Curtis
Old 12/29/12 | 12:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

With all that being said.... I have a Boss 302 system that I had installed on my 2013 for sale. I removed it when I traded for the Shelby. PM me with offers if interested. System has @4k miles on it.

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 12/29/12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12/29/12 | 06:18 AM
V6 Member

MoscowBoss (ED): How is the cabin sound when you close the valves? I appreciate the steer to the "blank" plates, especially since the dealer has his you know what in a wad about modifying an OEM part. Really I'm an attorney, what does he think I'm gonna do sue him over a closed plate. If anything the exhaust is now more EPA "friendly" However, I'm sure he would put on "customer supplied" plates.

Curtis
Curtis,
There is a slight difference inside the cabin with the windows up but I would call it very slight if just cruising and a bit more when accelerating or decelerating. With windows down as you would expect it is a bit more pronounced. I do not have a DB meter to measure but there is some difference. With the road noise due to the sound insulation left out of the BOSS and engine sound tube it will always be a bit louder that the GT for sure unless you address all three sound issues.

Waiting for photos of her...
Ed

Last edited by MoscowBoss; 12/29/12 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12/29/12 | 08:43 AM

Curtis,

It's your car, so do whatever suits you best.

There is absolutely no problem in doing what you're suggesting. The Boss side pipes are primarily for sound. They offer little to no performance benefit, add weight, reduce ground clearance and make accessing the rear jacking point more difficult. Also note that the Boss race cars do not use them. Rather than simply using block off plates I would recommend replacing the entire H-pipe section.

I'm not sure why other people are saying the Boss engine is not worth it. I think the primary reason to get a Boss over a GT is the engine. It certainly was for me. It is already "built" from the factory. Highlights include: upgraded forged crank, rods and pistons. Upgraded cams, valves and springs. CNC machined high flow cylinder heads. The list goes on and many considerations were taken for its higher rpm capability (such as a new alternator).

Best of luck.
Old 12/29/12 | 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Uninformed people say a lot of things. It's amazing how many people just don't get the Boss.
Old 12/29/12 | 09:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not saying I don't get the boss engine. I understand how it's upgraded and how it's better. I just don't get why you buy a louder, better car just to restrain it or change it. When people modify their cars it's usually to make them louder or faster or any of those things. If they don't it's because they like how it already is. Power to you if you want a boss and can afford it. I'm not bashing at all. I just don't understand why you would buy a boss to change it to be quieter. I'm just saying if you were to buy a muscle car from the 60s or 70s, who would make it quieter? If anything you make it louder like most people (then again people who don't like drone will put cats back on there car so I understand that) It just doesn't make sense to me, but power to you (literally with the boss motor haha). I would be excited and so ready to have it.
Good luck Curtis
Old 12/29/12 | 09:33 AM
Post *****

but truth be told it really doesn't matter why I want if I can afford it, right?
This is always true. But I think you need the Boss for the intimidation factor against other attorneys when you pull up. Somehow riding in on a beemer with your briefcase strapped on back just doesn't cut it right?

(jus kidding )
Old 12/29/12 | 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Before removing the stock restrictor plates, first remove the silly sound tube (and perhaps install a set of hood struts at the same time) and see how it sounds.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

Be advised that going with LT Headers will eventually throw a CEL when performing this upgrade. If I had the money or desire, I would go for the Kooks setup from the following link.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_KO_System.shtml

There's been a lot of discussion on Boss forums about headers and off road pipes w/o cats. So just like with mufflers, making modifications to your exhaust ends up being more about the sound and not as much about performance. You can get 30-40 more HP with headers only if you don't use the cats, otherwise it seems to be in the 17-30 HP range depending on your other mods, such as tune and CAI.

Ford did such a great job with this car, they didn't leave much on the table, so I'd much rather spend that kind of money on fine tuning the suspension and chassis. But it's your car to do with as you please.

A lot more discussion on this here;

https://themustangsource.com/f813/co...esults-503167/
Old 12/29/12 | 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony Alonso,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Indeed the BMW S1000RR is frighteningly fast and brutal being essentially a race bike in street trim. Look it up on the Youtube or the net. It is the same bike used in the WSBK (World Super Bike) series as seen on TV save those are a bit lighter and make over 200HP. It is pulling so hard at 150 mph that I'm intimidated so far and roll off the throttle.
Definitely have seen those babies - you got to love a machine that scares the @#!$% out of ya!

I don't know the history of this (Boss) particular exhaust system so I will bow to your knowledge. It just looks to me like an "add on".
There's a fairly extensive write-up on this in the Boss 302 book by Donald Farr. It's an interesting read to see how this and the other parts content was chosen. My understanding comes from that course, as well as talks with some of the engineers who worked on it. Others who post here who are local to the Detroit area likely to have similar, if not more, insight.

However having said that, the only thing I ever wanted to do was block off the restrictor plates and leave the system installed and intact and was asking if anyone had done that and if so what noise reduction in the cabin was experienced, if any.
Yep, understood. I've heard the stock configuration and with the system opened up, and there is a noticeable change in the volume level with it plugged.
Old 12/29/12 | 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Moscow, did you do the install yourself?

Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
Curtis,
Here is a link to a member where you can get a set of blank discs to close them off it you want.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....c=3663.new#new

I would drive it a while and see how it goes before I did anything. Cruising with the windows up you can't really hear the side pipes much. I always want to drive with the windows down. Of course when you get on it, you can hear it. There is no drone when cruising. As one person noted, removing the sound tube off the engine might make a difference you would like.

I have the electric cutout valves installed on my side pipes so I can close or fully open them, or anywhere in between, with the flick of a switch. They are made by Quick Time Performance.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ed
Old 12/29/12 | 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's very docile in comparison to removing the restrictors (with the small hole in it). With the restrictors out the exhaust is totally transformed in sound level in my opinion. With them in its slightly louder than the GT.
Old 12/29/12 | 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Moscow, did you do the install yourself?
Dean,
Yes I installed them. It was pretty easy and straight forward although to do it does take a little planning in regards to running the wires into the car and connecting the power. If you are considering them let me know and I can give you a few details on how I did it and lessons learned.

Ed
Old 12/30/12 | 06:10 AM
GT Member

This is crazy???
You buy a BOSS for several reasons:
1. You want to HEAR an AMERICAN V8 screaming at 8000 RPM
2. You want to carve curves at +1g
3. You want to look BOSS and be BOSS right out of the box

I only have two suggestions

1. A set of ear plugs or
2. A Camaro (They have quit exhaust for your ears and IRS for your tail)

BOSS #228 (not Z28)

Quick Reply: Blocked off Side Exhausts?