2012-2013 BOSS 302

Blocked off Side Exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/12, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blocked off Side Exhausts?

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry, but I would rather seal the side exhausts by blocking off the "restrictor" plates so that all the exhaust (sound) exits the rear. My only excuse is that I'm old and that open exhaust sound wears (drones) on me in short order.

Have any of you done this and if so was it successful in eliminating some or hopefully all of the in car exhaust noise. I'm in negotiations for a 2013 (white) and must close before the end of the year and I fearful that I will not like the exhaust as it presently exists.

Would love to put some long tube headers on it and eliminate the "cut out" in the system completely. Moreover I'm not at all certain that this arrangement as delivered by FOMCO improves exhaust flow and maybe actually hinders it.

In any event any help on your experience with blocking off the plates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 12/27/12, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I wouldn't suggest against blocking off the exhaust since it may create more back pressure. The holes in the plates are very small but do allow some exhaust/noise through. I would just go the route of getting a nice exhaust system that won't damage your engine.
Old 12/27/12, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

You do know the side exhaust is blocked off from the factory with plates, that, if you want, you can remove, or leave in place.
Old 12/27/12, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by davesvt2000
You do know the side exhaust is blocked off from the factory with plates, that, if you want, you can remove, or leave in place.
You do know that the side exits are not completely blocked off by plates but have plates with holes in them to let some exhaust out don't you.
Old 12/27/12, 07:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's plenty of 5.0 guys here that would buy your setup. Have you heard them yet or are you guessing at this point? Keep in mind that from the factory Ford has to meet sound limitations.
Old 12/27/12, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
There's plenty of 5.0 guys here that would buy your setup. Have you heard them yet or are you guessing at this point? Keep in mind that from the factory Ford has to meet sound limitations.
+1 I couldn't even tell I had side exits till they were removed. And you can sell the H-pipe and side exits for about 600 probably more if you took it right off the car when you get it.
Old 12/27/12, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
+1 I couldn't even tell I had side exits till they were removed. And you can sell the H-pipe and side exits for about 600 probably more if you took it right off the car when you get it.
2nded, the exhaust noise in the cabin with the stock plates in place is barely noticeable above a regular GT.
Old 12/27/12, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by cwcary
Gentlemen,

I'm sorry, but I would rather seal the side exhausts by blocking off the "restrictor" plates so that all the exhaust (sound) exits the rear. My only excuse is that I'm old and that open exhaust sound wears (drones) on me in short order.

Have any of you done this and if so was it successful in eliminating some or hopefully all of the in car exhaust noise. I'm in negotiations for a 2013 (white) and must close before the end of the year and I fearful that I will not like the exhaust as it presently exists.

Would love to put some long tube headers on it and eliminate the "cut out" in the system completely. Moreover I'm not at all certain that this arrangement as delivered by FOMCO improves exhaust flow and maybe actually hinders it.

In any event any help on your experience with blocking off the plates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis
Adding a set of long tubes will increase the exterior noise levels by a significant amount over stock.

The H-pipe from the GT will directly swap-in if you wish to eliminate the side pipes. This will likely save you a bit of weight to-boot. So many of the GT guys are swapping out their stock H-pipes that it shouldn't be hard to find a fresh take-off.
Old 12/28/12, 02:35 AM

Thanks Gentlemen,

I'm aware that the OEM system consists of restrictor plates. These plates have a hole in them to allow exhaust sound to exit just in front of the rear wheels. Ford even sell restrictor plates with different size holes in them.

I have a Mustang GT and I've driven a Boss. I notice the difference in cabin noise, and I wish to eliminate it by sealing off the restrictor plates. I have to make a decision on this by tomorrow (Friday) and I was hoping to find someone who had done it who could tell me that: "Yes it eliminates cabin noise" or "No it does not".

I'm happy to hear that I can substitute the GT X pipe for mine and completely eliminate the whole system, including the exit hole in the main exhaust. Selling my system is an added benefit. I suspect this will improve exhaust flow also!

Curtis
Old 12/28/12, 04:12 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
you may also think about removing the sound tube. This will also cut down cabin noise. this will be the cheapest Mod you will ever do.
Old 12/28/12, 04:55 AM
GT Member

If nothing else take the plates out and put a little JB Weld on the holes and reinstall.

My plates are out completely and I love the sound.
Old 12/28/12, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curtis,
Here is a link to a member where you can get a set of blank discs to close them off it you want.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....c=3663.new#new

I would drive it a while and see how it goes before I did anything. Cruising with the windows up you can't really hear the side pipes much. I always want to drive with the windows down. Of course when you get on it, you can hear it. There is no drone when cruising. As one person noted, removing the sound tube off the engine might make a difference you would like.

I have the electric cutout valves installed on my side pipes so I can close or fully open them, or anywhere in between, with the flick of a switch. They are made by Quick Time Performance.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ed

Last edited by MoscowBoss; 12/28/12 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12/28/12, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove and sell to someone who will use them!
Old 12/28/12, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

What ever changes you make, you should consider holding on to the original parts just in case you decide to sell the car in the future. Cars like the Boss always bring more money if they are in original condition or at least come with all the original equipment.
Old 12/28/12, 09:03 AM

Thanks useful information.

Boss Man: What is a "sound tube" and can you direct me to a pic.

Jaywoo: That's exactly what I was going to do, only with a real weld. JB Weld, while useful, is somewhat prone to failure especially with heat and vibration, at least it was so from my Harley days.

MoscowBoss (ED): How is the cabin sound when you close the valves? I appreciate the steer to the "blank" plates, especially since the dealer has his you know what in a wad about modifying an OEM part. Really I'm an attorney, what does he think I'm gonna do sue him over a closed plate. If anything the exhaust is now more EPA "friendly" However, I'm sure he would put on "customer supplied" plates.

Curtis
Old 12/28/12, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks useful information.

Boss Man: What is a "sound tube" and can you direct me to a pic.

Jaywoo: That's exactly what I was going to do, only with a real weld. JB Weld, while useful, is somewhat prone to failure especially with heat and vibration, at least it was so from my Harley days.

MoscowBoss (ED): How is the cabin sound when you close the valves? I appreciate the steer to the "blank" plates, especially since the dealer has his you know what in a wad about modifying an OEM part. Really I'm an attorney, what does he think I'm gonna do sue him over a closed plate. If anything the exhaust is now more EPA "friendly" However, I'm sure he would put on "customer supplied" plates.

Curtis

This is the sound tube. its on the driver side and runs from the intake to the firewall. Useless, only thing it does well is block the dip stick.
Old 12/28/12, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Also if you are more worried about the interior noise I believe the Boss has much less sound deadening so that might be why they sound louder inside.
Old 12/28/12, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't understand... I guess I'm just confused... Why would you buy a boss if you have a gt and then change it bc it has too much drone? I mean the boss is a wilder car. It sounds like what you want is the gt. I'm just confused. Any certain reason you're switching to the boss other than having something special?
Old 12/28/12, 12:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang
I don't understand... I guess I'm just confused... Why would you buy a boss if you have a gt and then change it bc it has too much drone? I mean the boss is a wilder car. It sounds like what you want is the gt. I'm just confused. Any certain reason you're switching to the boss other than having something special?
To each his own, though I don't really agree with it either. Much like people who buy the Boss just as a drag car.
Old 12/28/12, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Moreover I'm not at all certain that this arrangement as delivered by FOMCO improves exhaust flow and maybe actually hinders it.
Why do you think this?

Quick Reply: Blocked off Side Exhausts?