Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

BBK Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/11, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK Headers?

I was thinking about ordering a few parts for my car before it gets here and I think a set of headers and off road X will be my first option along with a Lund Tune
My Question is does anyone have experiance with BBK Long tubes?
Do they leak? How is the dyno numbers against other headers?

I noticed they are half the price of Kooks and othe competitors........
I used Kooks on my Vette and was happy with performance but they leaked from day one Even after we changed the gasket three times!

Thanks,
Dylan
Old 6/21/11, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

long tubes

Just helped a friend of mine put a set of american racing long tubes on his 2011 5.0, they fit beautifully, no leaks, you can view a thread about them on the HPS site,with photos, believe he picked up 20 HP and 40 torque in the mid range, his dyno sheets are in the thread, just put in long tubes in the search
Old 6/21/11, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by billyboss
Just helped a friend of mine put a set of american racing long tubes on his 2011 5.0, they fit beautifully, no leaks, you can view a thread about them on the HPS site,with photos, believe he picked up 20 HP and 40 torque in the mid range, his dyno sheets are in the thread, just put in long tubes in the search
Thanks for the input.
What is the HPS site? Is it anothe Mustang forum?
Old 6/21/11, 09:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by billyboss
Chris Corbetto installed them on his (NASA Mid-Atlantic American Iron) '11 GT - holding up well, as far as I know.
Old 6/21/11, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

long tubes

yes it is another site, High Performane stangs
http://www.highperformancestangs.com...e-Mustang-Club
Old 6/21/11, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO I would not spend the money on headers. Not cost effective for any gains. (From Ford engine designers based on development dyno testing).
Old 6/21/11, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
IMO I would not spend the money on headers. Not cost effective for any gains. (From Ford engine designers based on development dyno testing).
So what would you go with? A high flow X Pipe? If so does anyone make an off road X that will flange up to the Factory Headers?

I am just wondering where you got this info that no gains could be expected from Headers? Everything I have read is 20+ HP and 40+ trq....
Believe me I don't believe everything I read but still would like to know why you would not gain from a set of long tubes......

Thanks,
Dylan
Old 6/21/11, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by c6dreamvette
So what would you go with? A high flow X Pipe? If so does anyone make an off road X that will flange up to the Factory Headers?

I am just wondering where you got this info that no gains could be expected from Headers? Everything I have read is 20+ HP and 40+ trq....
Believe me I don't believe everything I read but still would like to know why you would not gain from a set of long tubes......

Thanks,
Dylan
The 5.0 article on the Roadrunner does a good job of explaining the situation as I recall. Are you planning on eliminating the Cats?
Old 6/21/11, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

headers

here is the direct link to the thread with dyno sheets, granted he has a boss intake and, cold air,BBR tune, and cat delete X-pipe
http://www.highperformancestangs.com...ight=longtubes
Old 6/21/11, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by askjeffro
The 5.0 article on the Roadrunner does a good job of explaining the situation as I recall. Are you planning on eliminating the Cats?
The exhaust engineer interviewed for the above article said that long tube headers would help but because they couldn't move the cats any further down stream, they were never considered.
Old 6/21/11, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

In regards to the flange question. I spoke to Nick over at American Racing Headers. He said that he was going to set me up with some flanges and a few inches of pipe, basically setup so it would make it easier on any capable muffler shop to setup. Thereaftere it would be a bolt on affair such as the original. I ordered a couple of sets as I am doing another for a customer with a 5.0. I will keep you guys posted, most likely in about 2 weeks.
Old 6/22/11, 06:04 AM

Having AR Headers with high flow cats and x pipe installed this week. AR sent some tube flanges so I can have the side pipes still. I dyno'd car a few weeks back and plan to dyno it again just to see the gains.
Old 6/22/11, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by c6dreamvette

Thanks,
Dylan
Dylan-
To answer you question, I would stay with stock. The engineers gave us a great OE system out of the box.

Header companies want to sell product, and dyno tests are very easily influenced by many, many variables which can slew data whichever way you want it to go. I trust what the OE engine development engineers say. But feel free to spend on any modification your might like.

See my post #41
https://themustangsource.com/f813/so...495813/index3/
Old 6/22/11, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dylan-
To answer you question, I would stay with stock. The engineers gave us a great OE system out of the box.

Header companies want to sell product, and dyno tests are very easily influenced by many, many variables which can slew data whichever way you want it to go. I trust what the OE engine development engineers say. But feel free to spend on any modification your might like.

See my post #41

Agreed! Headers would only make a worthwhile investment(in my opinion) if you do forced induction. The biggest gains are from the intake and tune, with a small increase with an o/r x pipe and just noise from muffler replacement
Old 6/22/11, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all of the input gents......
I agree that ford did an outstanding job with the current headers on the Boss. I just thought the by extending them to a long tube and eliminating the cats I would get incresed HP and TQ. I am really looking forward to see what Lethal does with there Boss in the next issue of 5.0. As far as forced induction....Not right now for me anyway but maybe a 125 wet shot if I can find a "good trusted" tuner in the DFW area.
I am a drag racer not much of a circle tract guy but that may change after I see how the Boss performes

Anyone know of a shop they would let tune there car in DFW?
I really want a Lund tune but if I do a Wet shot it really needs to be a Dyno Tune...........
Old 6/22/11, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Dylan-

See my post #41
Good job with the post.
Don't take tkis the wrong way but I think you believe the car is as good as it gets from Ford. I really don't think that is the case. Just my 2 cents but this little forged 5.0 has alot more in it than 444hp
Old 6/22/11, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
Agreed! Headers would only make a worthwhile investment(in my opinion) if you do forced induction. The biggest gains are from the intake and tune, with a small increase with an o/r x pipe and just noise from muffler replacement

I used to think the same way about headers being essential to a forced induction motor. But after talking to a well known turbo installer/tuner who almost always uses manifolds, told me that there not a significant gain from headers. He reminded me the air was being pushed in, contrary to a naturally aspirated motor in which you need to find any ways to effectively move the air through the motor.

c6dreamvette: I too am a drag racer. If you have done this long enough your experience dictates that your initial hunch is correct. Longtubes are the way to go. I wish I new of a tuner in the DFW area to recommend. Do regional searches and I am sure you will find someone with good experience. Remember don't go for dyno numbers. A tuner who concentrates on driveability and uses the dyno as a tool to measure changes is the best to go with, netting you TRACK results!!

BTW this motor is far from maxxed out. It is only a plaything that Ford has given us to EXPLOIT!!
Old 6/22/11, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
I used to think the same way about headers being essential to a forced induction motor. But after talking to a well known turbo installer/tuner who almost always uses manifolds, told me that there not a significant gain from headers. He reminded me the air was being pushed in, contrary to a naturally aspirated motor in which you need to find any ways to effectively move the air through the motor.

c6dreamvette: I too am a drag racer. If you have done this long enough your experience dictates that your initial hunch is correct. Longtubes are the way to go. I wish I new of a tuner in the DFW area to recommend. Do regional searches and I am sure you will find someone with good experience. Remember don't go for dyno numbers. A tuner who concentrates on driveability and uses the dyno as a tool to measure changes is the best to go with, netting you TRACK results!!

BTW this motor is far from maxxed out. It is only a plaything that Ford has given us to EXPLOIT!!
Thanks Brawlin!!
Man That is a awesome list of cars you have! 70 Cuda is an awesome car, My father in law has a 71 Cuda 440 six pack
It's really good to know I am not the only guy that will be tearing up the 1/4 mile with a Boss.
Yes, you are correct a N/A car needs all of the help it can get removing air from and inducing air into the motor. I have been doing this a little while, I am new to Ford but not the drag seen. Some of my best memories as a child is watching my dad tear up the 1/4 with his 69 Camaro
Old 6/22/11, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Besides my first car being a '74 Mustang II, this is my first Ford. I bought it because I liked that it was the first real attempt to satisfy racers ( without having to belong to some team, etc..) by any manufacturer since the muscle car era. Ford nailed it!!

BTW my insurance agent loves my cars too.......wonder why!!
Old 6/22/11, 12:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Thanks, Besides my first car being a '74 Mustang II, this is my first Ford. I bought it because I liked that it was the first real attempt to satisfy racers ( without having to belong to some team, etc..) by any manufacturer since the muscle car era. Ford nailed it!!

BTW my insurance agent loves my cars too.......wonder why!!
How bad are the Insurance Premiums on the Boss?

Quick Reply: BBK Headers?