2012-2013 BOSS 302

Anyone put Hawk pads on thier boss yet

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/11, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone put Hawk pads on thier boss yet

i went out to the track for a members day last weekend and had a blast. i drove the crap out of the car and roasted the factory pads in two half hour sessions. I ordered some pads today for the car, decided on hawk HP plus front and rear. I have a track buddy that runs them on his CTS V street and track and has had very good luck with them.

Question is this. i assume that the pads are the same as the GT500 and brembo track pack cars. However Hawk is for some reason unable to confirm the fit for sure. i ordered them anyway, just curious more than anything if you guys have put hawk pads on your cars and had an issue.
Old 11/22/11, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
i went out to the track for a members day last weekend and had a blast. i drove the crap out of the car and roasted the factory pads in two half hour sessions. I ordered some pads today for the car, decided on hawk HP plus front and rear. I have a track buddy that runs them on his CTS V street and track and has had very good luck with them.

Question is this. i assume that the pads are the same as the GT500 and brembo track pack cars. However Hawk is for some reason unable to confirm the fit for sure. i ordered them anyway, just curious more than anything if you guys have put hawk pads on your cars and had an issue.

Been running HP+ pads all year, they have been working great. I know some others have also used them on the Boss. They are not for the pro's but for beginners and intermediate they are fine and still streetable.

Numbers are here, same pad fits all Mustangs with the Brembos.

HP + HB453N.585
dtc30 hb453w.585
dtc60 hb453g.585
dtc70 hb453u.585

Found a site called Top Brakes with real good prices on them.
Old 11/22/11, 08:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

From Scott's recommendation I have the HP+ on my front only and they were a nice improvement over stock. I have separate OEM rotors to use with the pads. I only have one day on them and they had no fade (I had a little with the stock pads) and better initial bite over stock. I'm using the stock pads in the rear for now.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 11/22/11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11/22/11, 08:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
From Scott's recommendation I have the HP+ on my front only and they were a nice improvement over stock. I have separate OEM rotors to use with the pads. I only have one day on them and they had less fade (none for me) and better initial bite over stock. I'm using the stock pads in the rear for now.
Didn't want to mention you by name Putting a set (F & R) on another Boss (run of the mill crappy orange one ) here this week for some future PBIR and Homestead runs.
Old 11/22/11, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm running Hawk DTC60's up front on DBA 5000 floating hat rotors. HP+ at the rear.

Like the set-up a LOT!
Old 11/22/11, 11:03 PM

Using Hawk HP+ front and rear at my first trackday, and still felt a little fade. In general I didn't think the brake feel was great in the car - I didn't have a lot of confidence in it.

Part of the problem is I wasn't able to get a lot of heat in the pads when bedding them initially. I think the fade was better later in the day.

I'm going to give them another chance at a trackday - if they still feel "not so great" I'll probably switch to race pads.

BTW: they squeal quite a bit at lower speeds on the road, but I didn't use the grease when I installed them, so that probably contributes to this.
Old 11/23/11, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shane, I am using the Hawk DTC30's on the front with the DBA 5000 rotors. Rears are Hawk HP+ pads with DBA 4000 rotors. This pad combo was recommended to me by technical discussions with Hawk and the system works very well.

I wanted effective braking on the street as well as increased performance on the track from a rotor/pad combination I would not have to swap out for each track event. I have found the DTC30/HP+ very adequate for street use (with a little noise and dust over the OE pads) and just fine for the 4 track events I have attended.
Old 11/23/11, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Shane, I am using the Hawk DTC30's on the front with the DBA 5000 rotors. Rears are Hawk HP+ pads with DBA 4000 rotors. This pad combo was recommended to me by technical discussions with Hawk and the system works very well.

I wanted effective braking on the street as well as increased performance on the track from a rotor/pad combination I would not have to swap out for each track event. I have found the DTC30/HP+ very adequate for street use (with a little noise and dust over the OE pads) and just fine for the 4 track events I have attended.
I had the same combo..... Lets just say it was not ideal..... I burned through the fronts in less than a day and the front to rear bias was so off that it would make the rear abs go nuts under heavy braking.....

I am now running Hawk DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears. This pad combo is very good except the DTC70s only lasted about two track days. I am moving on to something else. I will probably try the carbotechs....

I have no idea how some of you guys are having positive results with the above combos.............
Old 11/23/11, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd try Performance Friction before you try Carbotechs. I've used both on different cars and the Carbotechs are extremely finicky; the material transfer is very inconsistent b/c of the weird type of compound they are made of. I used PFCs on my CTS-V and they are monsters; I was outbraking almost every car in my run group my 2nd event ever (GT3s, GTR, GT500, M3s, etc).

Doesnt Miller Motorsports Park use PFC pads on their Boss 302's?

Last edited by smbstyle; 11/23/11 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11/23/11, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

Awesome, thanks for the info that is exactly what i was looking for. i ordered the pads last night. i'm not sure if i will have to replace the rotors or not. by time i realized the pads were gone Saturday everything was closed, i was three hours from home and had to drive back. It wast a pretty sound heading home. I suspect the back side of at least my passenger front rotor is scored badly. shiny metal shavings all over the wheel.

FWIW to any of you guys, i was running the car in sport mode. the outer pad on the passenger front has a good quarter inch of pad left before the squeeker hits, but the back is obviously metal to metal at this point. It you are running hard do your brakes a favor and turn off all the TC and stability stuff.

adam I'd imagine the difference is one of track and style. i tend to brake less and roll the car into corners with more speed. ive got a friend with a 40 cts-v that runs these pads and has good luck with them and that car weighs more than the boss. other than wearing them out i had no issues with the stock pads for my style.

Last edited by ShaneM; 11/23/11 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11/23/11, 07:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Ulrichw
Using Hawk HP+ front and rear at my first trackday, and still felt a little fade. In general I didn't think the brake feel was great in the car - I didn't have a lot of confidence in it.

Part of the problem is I wasn't able to get a lot of heat in the pads when bedding them initially. I think the fade was better later in the day.

I'm going to give them another chance at a trackday - if they still feel "not so great" I'll probably switch to race pads.

BTW: they squeal quite a bit at lower speeds on the road, but I didn't use the grease when I installed them, so that probably contributes to this.
I bedded mine in very well and even got a bit of smoke coming from them. I used the supplied grease and I still had a lot of squealing on low speeds. I'm a beginner and not pushing my car as hard as many of you. My next step up will be the same as nota4re with Hawk DTC60's up front on DBA 5000 floating hat rotors and HP+ at the rear or 70's front and 60's rear like Cloud9 runs.
Old 11/23/11, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

what is so much better about those DBA5000 rotors than the stock ones?
Old 11/23/11, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaneM
what is so much better about those DBA5000 rotors than the stock ones?
They are 8 lbs lighter and have an aluminum hat so you drop a significant amount of rotational mass. The "Kangaroo Paw" design cools better so you are less likely to "disintegrate" one if thermally shocked so should be safer.

I run DTC70 front and DTC60 rear and this combo has been bullet proof for me. I get 4-6 track days from the fronts and about 10 days on the rears. I'm not exactly easy on brakes either. I've been running this combo for at least 60 track days now. You need to properly bed them in when starting with new pads to ensure you get the maximum life and braking performance. I got a full 17 track days on my last set of DBA rotors, 5000 front and 4000 rear.
Old 11/23/11, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
I'd try Performance Friction before you try Carbotechs. I've used both on different cars and the Carbotechs are extremely finicky; the material transfer is very inconsistent b/c of the weird type of compound they are made of. I used PFCs on my CTS-V and they are monsters; I was outbraking almost every car in my run group my 2nd event ever (GT3s, GTR, GT500, M3s, etc).

Doesnt Miller Motorsports Park use PFC pads on their Boss 302's?
Yes, they were also running them on the Multimatic Focus STR at Daytona. I will need to move on from the HP+ but they worked well to start out on, I have a set of 30's to try out next. Maybe I never felt any fade because all the tracks here have long straights that allow the pads to cool down between hard braking

I was going to try the Carbotechs next but after taking with the PF guy at Daytona I may give them a try next. The Hawk 60 or 70 sound good but Gary is the only one I know who is getting decent life out of them, most other people I have spoke to said the wear out quickly and eat rotors.
Old 11/23/11, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
I had the same combo..... Lets just say it was not ideal..... I burned through the fronts in less than a day and the front to rear bias was so off that it would make the rear abs go nuts under heavy braking.....

I am now running Hawk DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears. This pad combo is very good except the DTC70s only lasted about two track days. I am moving on to something else. I will probably try the carbotechs....

I have no idea how some of you guys are having positive results with the above combos.............
+1 on this