Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss 302 Engine - Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/10, 03:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it were truly forged, then it would take at least the same HP as a true forged Manley Rod, correct?

I believe the advantage to "forged" powdered metal is less waste and less machining to achieve the finished product, and perhaps better inherent balance. The advantage is not strength as most people relate the word "forged" to.

Just trying to learn friend...

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 04:50 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Actual forging is the strongest possible conventional manufacturing technique for metals. Sintering is not forging.

End of story.
What about sintering, THEN forging, as appears to be the case here.
Old 8/15/10, 05:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
if it were truly forged, then it would take at least the same HP as a true forged Manley Rod, correct?
theres more to the strength of a rod than the way it was made. size, shape, etc.

just look at the size difference alone

stock

manley

Old 8/15/10, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Forging is the process of production, sintered steel is the material.

Nowhere in my post did I say they were forged solid steel.

Ford's calling them forged is absolutely correct.

And, if I recall correctly, the connecting rods in the 3.7 V6 are actually a solid steel forging, not sintered steel as in the 5.0.
I gotcha. I think the rub is that the message that is coming across in the literature, right or wrong, is that the rods are forged as in forged steel, or at least strengthened from the stock 5.0 rods. Maybe I'm just not that smart on metallurgy, but I'm still not capturing the advantage of sintering over the standard forging process for the non-Boss rods. Also, attached is the spec sheet for the 5.0and V6, it says the rods are forged steel, which of course is not correct, so I might hazard to guess this is some sort of misprint. Dunno. Thanks for all the info guys, enlightening thread, I like it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011_Mustang_GT_Specsv2.pdf (61.5 KB, 661 views)
File Type: pdf
2011_Mustang_V6_Specs.pdf (34.6 KB, 584 views)
Old 8/15/10, 06:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
I gotcha. I think the rub is that the message that is coming across in the literature, right or wrong, is that the rods are forged as in forged steel, or at least strengthened from the stock 5.0 rods. Maybe I'm just not that smart on metallurgy, but I'm still not capturing the advantage of sintering over the standard forging process for the non-Boss rods. Also, attached is the spec sheet for the 5.0and V6, it says the rods are forged steel, which of course is not correct, so I might hazard to guess this is some sort of misprint. Dunno. Thanks for all the info guys, enlightening thread, I like it.
The spec sheet is correct if somewhat lacking in specifics, as in yes, they are forged steel, but forged sintered steel.

In the description posted talking about the forging of sintered steel for connecting rods that was posted, it talked about the advantages, mostly less machining processes required to finish the production. Initial materials cost was slightly higher but much less machining was required for finishing making the whole cost of producing them less than a solid steel forging.

I would prefer that the rods were solid steel forgings but it is what it is, you either work with it as it comes or you change it afterwards.
Old 8/15/10, 08:33 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Fazm
theres more to the strength of a rod than the way it was made. size, shape, etc.

just look at the size difference alone

stock

manley

That stock rod photo isn't the 5.0 rod, but I haven't found a comparable shot of it yet. The 5.0 stock rod is beefier, the best shot I've seen so far is this one:

What you are looking at here is a difference in appearance based upon the way the designers chose to orient the beam. If you would consider the Ford rod to be an 'H' beam, then the Manley rod would be an 'I' beam (an H lying on its side).

If you want to build an engine to a given RPM cost effectively, then it would be important to not add too much weight to the rods, or else you will have to beef up the crank, and possibly the block as well. IT is unlikely that the Manley beam weighs any more than the stock beam.

What the Manley beam does is make better use of the material by making the 'I' larger, but with thinner material. That choice, along with the rotation of the beam, makes producing the part more expensive, because the forging process requires extra steps. The Ford rod can be shaped with two dies (top and bottom), the Manley rod needs dies to come from the sides as well in order to create the sides of the 'I'.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/15/10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 08:41 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by PTRocks
the Manley rod needs dies to come from the sides as well in order to create the sides of the 'I'.
Talk about dense forging!
Old 8/15/10, 09:26 PM
GTR Member

Actually, the manley style rod is an "H" beam forging, while the stock rod is the "I" style forging. If you look at those two capital letters you will see that.
Old 8/15/10, 09:29 PM
GTR Member

Something interesting that is very apparent in this picture is the fractured parting line between the rod body and the cap. This makes for a more precise alignment when the cap is torqued down.

Old 8/16/10, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Has it been mentioned yet about the serial number on top of the intake behind the strut brace?
Old 8/17/10, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
ONLY 30HP? That's pretty impressive from a factory engineered and warranted engine that keeps the same displacement. Again, people get so hung up on peak numbers. Maybe it has better power at all RPM's. You know, where 99.9% of your driving is. And a lightened valvetrain will rev a lot faster and be more useful.
Reading the press release they talk about what is most suitable for this car in terms of the rpm range. They say it's between 5000-7000rpm. In essence this means they have not given much consideration to bottom end drive-ability, which in fact has come at an expense to high rpm power. The torque drop to 380lbs.ft indicates that at below ~5000rpm the standard 5 litre has more power. Beyond that point, and what the Boss 302's purpose is, the Roadrunner leaves the Coyote for dead. Just like in the cartoons.

I believe the advantage to "forged" powdered metal is less waste and less machining to achieve the finished product, and perhaps better inherent balance. The advantage is not strength as most people relate the word "forged" to.

Just trying to learn friend...
I thought the below would be of interest.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_101939306/

forged powdered metal rods engineering article

What about the mechanical properties of the forged PM rod versus the forged steel rod? "The mechanicals are equal to or better. They are in fact what you want them to be. Name it and we can match nearly any requirements. Powder metal parts always have to overcome this myth of inferiority, but it just isn't there," Letourneau explains.
"In this application the ultimate tensile strength is basically identical and the yield strength superior by some margin. Through the addition of manganese sulfide to the powder, we have a material that is machinable and still has a hardness in the Rockwell (C) 26-27 range. The microstructure is isotropic and lends itself to excellent machinability. We project that tool life is improved by a factor of four to one.
"But because this is a near net shape technology, there isn't that much machining anyway, the capital cost for machining equipment is less, and the dimensional control is much improved. We've completely eliminated weight pads on both ends of the rods and thus the subsequent machining and processing required to meet weight specifications."
The connecting rod for the 7.3L engine is quite different from that for the 6.0L diesel. The 7.3 rod has a straight split on the big end while the 6.0L rod features an angle split On the small end, the 6.0L rod features teepee geometry to provide a larger bearings surface to absorb the high pressures on the underside of the piston pin. The material is a cuprous iron alloy with high carbon and a manganese sulfide additive. Copper content is approximately 3 percent.
Mechanical Properties of typical rods. not a particular rod.

......................................Forged Steel......................... Powder Forged

Yield Strength Rp0.2 .........550 N/mm2 ..........................670 N/mm2

Tensile Strength Rm......... 1050 N/mm2.........................1030 N/mm2

Elongation A5 ....................10% ...................................11%

Density p ..........................7.82 g/cm3 min..................... 7.80 g/cm3 min.

Modulus of Elasticity E ........206 GPa ...............................207 GPa

Poisson's Ratio ...................0.294.......................... ......... 0.294

Core Hardness ......................28-34 Rc............................ 21-31 Rc

there are the numbers. those numbers are from the company who makes them. metaldyne
Old 8/17/10, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
That stock rod photo isn't the 5.0 rod, but I haven't found a comparable shot of it yet. The 5.0 stock rod is beefier, the best shot I've seen so far is this one:

What you are looking at here is a difference in appearance based upon the way the designers chose to orient the beam. If you would consider the Ford rod to be an 'H' beam, then the Manley rod would be an 'I' beam (an H lying on its side).

If you want to build an engine to a given RPM cost effectively, then it would be important to not add too much weight to the rods, or else you will have to beef up the crank, and possibly the block as well. IT is unlikely that the Manley beam weighs any more than the stock beam.

What the Manley beam does is make better use of the material by making the 'I' larger, but with thinner material. That choice, along with the rotation of the beam, makes producing the part more expensive, because the forging process requires extra steps. The Ford rod can be shaped with two dies (top and bottom), the Manley rod needs dies to come from the sides as well in order to create the sides of the 'I'.
Here you go.

Old 8/17/10, 11:18 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Falc'man
I thought the below would be of interest.
Thanx.
So they have the science to be able to "dial in" shapes, balance, and strength. Yet because of plenty of stories of broken PM rods when the 4.6 is taken over 500HP, apparently they just aren't making them as strong as they could for 500+ HP.
So why don't I read where people upgrade to better PM rods rather than always going to forged steel?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/17/10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 8/17/10, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Thanx.
So they have the science to be able to "dial in" shapes, balance, and strength. Yet because of plenty of stories of broken PM rods when the 4.6 is taken over 500HP, apparently they just aren't making them as strong as they could for 500+ HP.
So why don't I read where people upgrade to better PM rods rather than always going to forged steel?
Placebo? Perception? Not sure.

I guess from an OE standpoint it's the better material; better for shaping (less waste), better for machining (refer quoted bit - "The microstructure is isotropic and lends itself to excellent machinability. We project that tool life is improved by a factor of four to one."), and in terms of strength it's not that bad and does the job. It's as good as forged steel from what I can gather. Remember, the GT350, which is blown and has over 550hp, has the same bits.
Old 8/17/10, 08:53 PM
FR500 Member

With the complexity of tuning the newer ECU's I wonder how many of blown (up) motors could be attributed to tuner error, vs an inherent weakness of the rods themselves.

I would imagine that more of the relatively inexperienced 'tuners' are working with stock bottom-end 4.6's than with fully built forged rotating assemblies. If a motor lets go, it would be in the tuner's interest to blame the motor, rather than themselves. If this is indeed happening, it would go a way to explaining the rep that powder forged rods now have.
Old 8/17/10, 08:55 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Falc'man
Here you go.

theres more to the strength of a rod than the way it was made. size, shape, etc. just look at the size difference alone

stock

manley
Now we can see the rod in the first picture isn't as big as the 5.0 rod.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/17/10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

ya the rod pics i posted were both for 4.6's as manley doesnt make a 5.0 rod yet that i know of.

the 5.0 rod is bigger than the 4.6 rod, but not by a huge amount
Old 8/17/10, 09:19 PM
FR500 Member

ya the rod pics i posted were both for 4.6's as manley doesnt make a 5.0 rod yet that i know of.

the 5.0 rod is bigger than the 4.6 rod, but not by a huge amount
When you look through the Manley catalog, you will see that 'generally' the H-beam rods are comparable to their I-beam rods when looking at (HP rating / rod weight). There is a slight advantage to the H-beams, but it isn't by much.
Old 11/12/10, 08:13 PM

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever attempted or made a cabin filter or another filters out of a normal home furnace filter. I am looking into doing so, just wanted to know how well it works and if it's worth it.
Old 11/13/10, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ecenur
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever attempted or made a cabin filter or another filters out of a normal home furnace filter. I am looking into doing so, just wanted to know how well it works and if it's worth it.

no i have not....

But that't about as OFF TOPIC as i have ever seen in ANY forum

and people say I have ADHD LOL!!

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 Engine - Press Release