Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss 302 or 2011 GT Premium - The $14k Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/11, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Because the possibility of it being a box of chocolates is very possible and the likelyhood of being tracked, abused, and/or wrecked is very high unless you find a needle in the haystack which happens not too often.
there are plenty of signs of tracking, abuse and a wreck. It will not be a needle in a haystack to find a 1-2 year old, low mile car that isnt trashed... that is a little rediculous to think that the majority of the Bosses will be trashed by then. Maybe in 6 or 7 years, but come on now.

and for me, I could give two ***** if it has been tracked before since I'll be tracking it myself as soon as I get it! I'm buying the car to DRIVE the car, not to putz around town and short shift every gear. Hell, buying a car that has already been tracked once or twice might even be a bonus! Most tracks will force all of your little gremlins to rear their ugly heads, at which point they can be addressed afterwards.

I would also be interested in seeing how many Boss owners track their car on a repeated basis. I'm willing to bet less than half the Bosses out there ever make it to a road course. first off it aint cheap; between the entry fee, pads, fluids, etc. it is enough to drive many first-timers. And not many people are willing to risk losing a brand new $43k car on a road course.
Old 4/6/11, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBossMO
yeah, paying ADM on a Boss 302 isn't cool... I hope they don't get anyone here on the forums with that crap.

If I don't get this one I'll post up the dealer and let you know where one is available for MSRP.
Is the GT an auto or a manual?
Old 4/6/11, 01:33 PM

Manual, sorry didn't answer as someone else mentioned it had the 3.73 gears (manual only option).
Old 4/6/11, 01:58 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by smbstyle
there are plenty of signs of tracking, abuse and a wreck. It will not be a needle in a haystack to find a 1-2 year old, low mile car that isnt trashed... that is a little rediculous to think that the majority of the Bosses will be trashed by then...
There was a time I thought I was an expert and held a very high opinion of myself until I was proven wrong. I would agree that sometimes the signs are recognizable, to assume it is every time would be ridiculous.

All it takes is one time and is never forgotten.
Old 4/6/11, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't know that! I was thinking, if you were considering an auto, I'd say go with the GT, but since your are not.....

Here is my .02. I'm going into debt for the B2 car, and I'm ok with that. The history of the breed is important to me, I've always loved the cars, and there isn't much nanny in it. Its worth the extra on the payments to have a Boss 302. Not many people will know what it is, but I will, and that's important to me. I figure Ill be in this rig along time. I've owned my 70 for fifteen now.
Old 4/6/11, 02:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Agreed,
Wow we agree again.
Old 4/6/11, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
There was a time I thought I was an expert and held a very high opinion of myself until I was proven wrong. I would agree that sometimes the signs are recognizable, to assume it is every time would be ridiculous.

All it takes is one time and is never forgotten.
I was the same way until I got married. Now I'm wrong about everything.
Old 4/6/11, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
I was the same way until I got married. Now I'm wrong about everything.
Boy, do I know that feeling.
Old 4/6/11, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Boss vs GT

Here is my 2 cents. Finances should be king! Don't pinch yourself financially for ANYTHING! That aside, are you going to track the car? If not, $14K is pretty stiff to get a slightly "cooler" car. I drove the GT with the Brembo Brakes, I was TOTALLY impressed! I have not driven the Boss yet. (Mine should arrive sometime in the next 6 days) There will be Boss' in the aftermarket. I just saw a 2000 Cobra R for $26K, 60K miles for sale and they only built 300 of those (I think). If it’s about having the most capable Mustang ever built, well then, you better jump in! In 30 years of consumption I have rarely if ever regretting buying the Best. I have however, from time to time, lamented about not getting the best I could have.
Good Luck on your decision!
Old 4/6/11, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Well, after months of waiting my 2012 Boss 302 has finally shown up... The dealer said my $750 private cash offer doesn't apply to the Boss 302, so I'm getting it at MSRP if I want it. The Boss 302 that I ordered in is a base model, so it's $40,995 and after sales tax it comes out being ~$43,500 to get it. Not to mention the extra ~$300 for the Trackey when it comes out.

The dealer has a 2011 Mustang GT Premium w/ 401a and 3.73 gears options on the lot that they are willing to sell at invoice. They will take off the $2,000 in incentives and my $750 coupon is valid on it. That brings the car down to ~$28,000 and after sales tax I'm looking at ~$29,600. The GT Premium 401a interior and the extra features like Sync make the inside look so much nicer compared to the Boss 302 and the standard seats.

Looking at the numbers and seeing a ~$14,000 price difference is making me second guess the Boss 302. I'm sure the Boss 302 will hold its resale value better 4-5 years from now, but with $4 a gallon gas back and Mustang popularity fading (ie: the plant is shut down and they have twice the normal inventory) it makes me concerned.

I love the lore of the Boss 302, but having $14,000 in my pocket would allow me really beef up the GT Premium and put on that set of Boss 302R BBS wheels that I love. I'm looking for a weekend driver/racer and live in an area where we don't have any closed tracks to run the Boss, so unlike many of you guys this car won't be a race track queen.

What would you guys do? The dealer is giving some time to decide, but I'd like to hear your honest thoughts as I'm sure I'm not the only one that has looked at both models and the price gap.
It won't be a daily driver as I have a few cars, but it would be a for fun driver when the weather is nice.
If it was any other month it wouldn't be an issue, but laying down $43k and paying taxes this month has made me take note of my spending habits. Like most of you guys this is a hobby and fun money. This would be my fourth sports car, so it's not like it's a daily driver and going to be stuck in traffic like some mentioned.

Like you guys said it's my choice, but I'm having a harder time on this car purchase than any other I've made in my life. I blame the dealer for telling me about the new incentives and that my ford cash would work on a GT....

My honest opinion, I would never think of buying just a Mustang GT as my 4th "sports car"; what would be the point?

Think of it another way. If you give up everything that Ford put into the Boss 302, all of that racing technology and track development time, just to save some money; is that really worth saving $14k? To end up with just a plain Jane Mustang? Why buy the car at all? Save the whole $43 grand!

Sure the Boss moniker has prestige attached to it. But this car would earn that prestige all on it's own!

That's why it's worth the dough!

That's my humble but accurate opinion

Last edited by 66sprint200; 4/6/11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 4/6/11, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bossdog
I just saw a 2000 Cobra R for $26K, 60K miles for sale and they only built 300 of those (I think).
Where did you see that baby advertised?? My ABSOLUTE all-time favorite SN-95 car!!

Sorry to go off topic here, but if you have info, I'd love to see it!
Old 4/6/11, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 66sprint200
My honest opinion, I would never think of buying just a Mustang GT as my 4th "sports car"; what would be the point?

Think of it another way. If you give up everything that Ford put into the Boss 302, all of that racing technology and track development time, just to save some money; is that really worth saving $14k? To end up with just a plain Jane Mustang? Why buy the car at all? Save the whole $43 grand!
That is a good analysis, given the situation! Of course, I guess it depends what the other 3 cars are.

That said, if you won't be "car poor", you probably will purchase one of the all-time great special Mustangs. One might consider that $14,000 as the ultimate in "customization costs", with a warranty to boot, as someone mentioned.

That money is buying fun. If you were fully considering the fiscal impact, you wouldn't buy it all as mentioned above.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 4/6/11, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, remember the volume Ford is doing...

They are still moving 15,000+ cars a quarter and how many Boss 302's have been made so far? ~400
Good point, but if you are selling clothes and your blue suits aren't selling but your more expensive grey pin stripe suits are...
Old 4/6/11, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, just to stir the pot some more, WHAT IF the next Special Edition Mustang is the Mach 1? with all the luxury touches PLUS the BOSS motor? Huh? Did you ever think of that? The purists can have the "stripper" BOSS and the well healed gentleman can have it all with the Mach 1!!! for a small nominal fee, of course. SO save yourself the heartache of a terrible decision and don't buy either one. Enjoy your other sports cars until you HAVE to buy a new car and then get the Mach 1 or GT500 of the day. No compromises.
Old 4/6/11, 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Buy the Boss and save money elsewhere,that's about 3,000.00 a year over 5 years start using coupon that should be easy. the 750.00 coupon I have does not exclude the Boss302 and others have got it.Call Ford It's worth a try.That a good start?I also saved a bunch on Insurance on my Shelby buy shopping around. GO FOR IT YOU WON"T BE SORRY!!!! Sounds like a little buyers remorse.JMO
Old 4/6/11, 04:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
Here is my 2 cents. Finances should be king! Don't pinch yourself financially for ANYTHING! That aside, are you going to track the car? If not, $14K is pretty stiff to get a slightly "cooler" car. I drove the GT with the Brembo Brakes, I was TOTALLY impressed! I have not driven the Boss yet. (Mine should arrive sometime in the next 6 days) There will be Boss' in the aftermarket. I just saw a 2000 Cobra R for $26K, 60K miles for sale and they only built 300 of those (I think). If it’s about having the most capable Mustang ever built, well then, you better jump in! In 30 years of consumption I have rarely if ever regretting buying the Best. I have however, from time to time, lamented about not getting the best I could have.
Good Luck on your decision!
Finances should be king! I'm addicted to the Suze Orman show!

I don't think you need to track it, but it will make the price difference negligible compared to the experience difference. It's like in Pulp Fiction when the drug dealer explains, "When you [track] it, you will know where that extra money went."

I bought a bare bones Jeep Wrangler JK in '08 because I didn't like the exact configuration of the Rubicon and thought I could mod it the way I wanted cheaper... I did and with 35's. This is not the same comparison. It's more like the '06 F150 4x2 v6 I bought as a regular cab to save money and be practical... after it was done with basic moving friends' furniture, etc. and making three grown men extremely uncomfortable in a vehicle, I was done with it. I couldn't make that into the truck I have today; F150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.5ft bed, fully loaded minus HIDs. That's the comparison that more closely resembles the GT vs. Boss(or maybe vs. a Raptor, but I've never owned one).

...anyway, so I regretted the first truck, but never regretted my current truck

I also had a similar experience with two harleys. I spent lots of money and time on my 1200R, but it was never what I wanted. I bought an '08 Crossbones and had the dealer install filter, Thundermax, and V&H short shots(black) before I took delivery. I knew exactly what i wanted and refused to settle. The result? The saturday I went to pick it up I thought the dealership was closed because the showroom floor was empty... they were all crowded around my bike in the "delivery room" by service.

They're both Mustangs but have two very different purposes.

The GT will impress a girl once they're in the car, but the Boss will do it from 50 yards away!

*self censored that last part, lol
Old 4/6/11, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bloody Knuckles, I like you more and more each day. I totally agree with you. And if someone says you don't buy a car to impress others, that is just their sad way of pretending not to care what other people think. EVERYBODY buys a car to impress SOMEBODY, but the most important person you need to impress is yourself. If you are happy with your purchase, everybody else can go stuff themselves like a holiday turkducken.

If you are having trouble deciding, then sleep on it, but in the end, don't settle. In all honesty, I have waited to buy a Mustang since 2007. Mostly because of my wife, but still, in that time, the Mustang I HAD to have (2007 Shelby GT in white) morphed into the Shelby GT in Vista Blue...or Grabber Orange, yeah, I could rock an orange car, to a Bullitt, to a 2010 GT with TracPac, to a 2011 5.0 in ANY configuration, to a BOSS 302...do you get my point? the longer I have waited, Mustangs have gotten better exponentially. I would have been fine with the 2007 and would still have it and be happy, but by waiting, things have only gotten better and better.
Old 4/6/11, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed with everyone. This all comes down to personal choice and what you actually want. My take on it was that I already had a blown '06 GT. It was a blast. Then I had to grow up and sell it cause I wanted to buy a house. I got married last year and have now convinced the wife that I need my toy before we have kids and the only toys I buy are made by Fisher Price

Anyways, I wanted something different. I don't want to be like everyone else I see in their stangs. Sure, you can make a 5.0 obnoxiously fast for less money. But no matter what you do or how much you put into it, you wont have a Boss. The money...sure I would like to have that extra money laying around(in all honesty..who wouldn't?), but we can still live comfortably while buying a Boss. I think that's what you should assess. If you can do it financially safe, and the Boss is something you need...then do it. If that isn't the case...then a GT is a sexy beast all in itself.
Old 4/6/11, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Where did you see that baby advertised?? My ABSOLUTE all-time favorite SN-95 car!!

Sorry to go off topic here, but if you have info, I'd love to see it!

It was on ebay, might still be there
Old 4/6/11, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

the normal GT is cool, but it doesn't move me. i bought a 10 GT to supercharge it rather than the 5.0, kept it a year and then realized that no matter what i did to the car it woudln't be the same as a Boss or even a GT500. At the end of the day a normal GT can be awesome, but it's just a normal GT. That said i am crawling out of my skin at the thought of the 7 month wait and almost talked myself into a GT500 today after only a week waiting. lol i am a lot of things and none of them are patient. In the end the thought of the same whp with some boss mods and no heat soak in the 110 degree texas summer saved me... for now

i thought about one of my buddies dads. He has owned a slew of mustangs going back to the 60's when he was a teen. out of all those stangs the one he talks about most is the 66 shelby he sold and regrets ever getting rid of. i don't want to be that guy walking with my grandkids 20 years from now thinking about how i could have had a boss when i run across one at a car show

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 or 2011 GT Premium - The $14k Question