2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Will Ford Show Off Convertible GT350 in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 01:26 PM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Ford Show Off Convertible GT350 in Chicago?

According to the upcoming Chicago Auto Show website, the Ford GT350 Mustang comes up as one of the tags under the "Convertibles" section of the “Vehicles on Display." But we've got our doubts.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 2/2/15, 02:31 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
"What do you guys think, would you buy one if this car actually turns out to be true? Do you think a convertible GT350 is a good idea?"

Good question. The ragtop lover in me says yes, do it now!!! But the car guy/Shelby fan in me says leave the 2016/17 as a coupe, then offer a convertible version for a possible S550 facelift in 2018. That's what Ford/Shelby did in '68.

I'm well aware of the legend, mystique,and the intent of the '65 GT350 and that's what Ford is trying to capture in the 21st century. Sure, the '66 was slightly de-fanged in the suspension department, the '67-70 Shelby Mustangs were watered down even a bit more, and the '68-70 convertibles especially strayed from their roots. But regardless of year there's an undeniable cool factor and tons of bragging rights associated with owning any Shelby Mustang, be it a '65 or an S197 GT500.

Moot point for me though. It's unlikely that I'll own one. But it sure would be sweet opening up my garage door and seeing S-H-E-L-B-Y splashed across the deck lid.
Old 2/3/15, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm disgusted with FORD by not offering the new GT350 with an Automatic!! There are more than you think especially current GT500 owners who wish they had an automatic instead. In FACT I did a survey on TS website to current 07-13 GT500 owners that when you bought your car if an Automatic was available how many would have bought it with the automatic instead and a surprising 64 percent said they would! FORD claims the new Mustang is a world car well the GT350 is not with a manual transmission. Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, Cadillac, even the Challenger Hellcat ALL standard with Automatics!! FORD has no excuse especially not when every body else does. I've never owned a GM or Mopar but this news may force me to stop buying Mustangs and I own 7 at the moment
Old 2/4/15, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 39Mustang
I'm disgusted with FORD by not offering the new GT350 with an Automatic!! There are more than you think especially current GT500 owners who wish they had an automatic instead. In FACT I did a survey on TS website to current 07-13 GT500 owners that when you bought your car if an Automatic was available how many would have bought it with the automatic instead and a surprising 64 percent said they would! FORD claims the new Mustang is a world car well the GT350 is not with a manual transmission. Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, Cadillac, even the Challenger Hellcat ALL standard with Automatics!! FORD has no excuse especially not when every body else does. I've never owned a GM or Mopar but this news may force me to stop buying Mustangs and I own 7 at the moment
I respect their decision to only offer a manual, especially in my car. If you're a purist like me, then you love knowing that EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the road in a Boss or Shelby is driving a manual.

In other words, it isn't some snooty smoking a cigar flaunting around and wasting what the car was made for. I bet half of 911 Turbos don't ever see an RPM higher than 4k. People are buying those cars to flaunt status. I don't think a Mustang purist wants a status symbol, they want to "drive" a Mustang.

That being said, I do agree that if this new Mustang is transforming into a global grand touring vehicle (kissing raw american goodbye) targeted at the likes of the Porsche 911 and GT-R... yeah it probably should offer an optional DCT nowadays. Facts alone, it is a quicker shifting transmission that'd improve lap times. My opinion of offering another transmission option is also swayed by how I think Ferrari is going down in my book (like the GT-R) since a manual isn't even offered.

Now a convertible... half of the coupes probably won't even see the track so why not? Miata's make it work. lol
Old 2/10/15, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
How is it that even though we’ve already seen both the GT350 and GT350R, there are still rumors flying around the automotive universe about more versions coming soon? Like those folks wondering why Ford lacked a con vertible version in the first place?

First off, those people are idiots. Making a convertible GT350 is perhaps the dumbest thing on the planet. Ford went to all the trouble of building the most track-capable Mustang ever. Why in the heck would they saddle it with more weight and a less-rigid chassis?

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 (4)

It’s just pure insanity. And it’s insanity that seems to be getting traction for the dumbest reason.

According to the upcoming Chicago Auto Show website, the Ford GT350 Mustang comes up as one of the tags under the “Convertibles” section of the “Vehicles on Display.” This could either be a typo, or as many conspiracy theorists are led to believe, a sign of a convertible version of the new GT350 coming to the show.

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 (2)

Here’s my problem with this: we watched closely as Ford tested the new GT 350 and GT 350R. Not once did we see a single convertible version. Sure, Ford kept the Ford GT under wraps without anyone knowing about it, but that’s the G T, not a Mustang.

What do you think? Would you buy one if this car actually turns out to be true? Do you think a convertible GT 350 is a good idea?
Old 2/10/15, 03:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well there were six of these...

Only six Shelby G.T. 350 Convertibles were produced in 1966, all different colors, making them the rarest of Mustang convertibles.

https://themustangsource.com/timelin...6/66/index.htm
Old 2/10/15, 03:52 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well there were six of these...

I think they were all give aways...one was pink which went to his secretary. None were made available to the public. I'm sure CS kept one for himself.