2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What is Opti-Coat Pro and How is it Different from other Ceramic Protective Coatings?

Old 3/14/16, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Opti-Coat Pro and How is it Different from other Ceramic Protective Coatings?

Opti-Coat Pro is a protective coating for your exterior paint, which takes the place of conventional wax or sealant.

It WILL

-protect from chemical etching
-protect from oxidation
-protect the paint as you would expect from wax or sealant, but better, for a matter of years (not months)
-make cleanup / routine maintenance easier

It WILL NOT

-resist all swirl marks
-resist water spotting (hard water)

Investment in Opti-Coat Pro for your vehicle includes

-paint correction / machine polishing to ensure the car looks its best prior to application (even new cars dont always look their best under close scrutiny)

-application of Opti-Coat Pro to all exterior paint (often includes wheels, glass and / or trim depending on your installer)

-5yr warranty on all exterior painted surfaces for vehicles 5 years old or newer

Terms of the Opti-Coat Pro warranty can be found here:

http://www.opti-coat.net/content/55/warranty.html

How is Opti-Coat Pro different from other ceramic protective coatings on the market?

Credit to long time forum member TOGWT as I have sampled some text from his blog post on the subject found here

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...tings.html?m=1

Bullet Points:

-Opti-Coat Pro is primarily Silicon Carbide (SiC) not Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) like many competitors on the market

-Silicon Carbide actually bonds to the paint while Silicon Dioxide 'floats' in a resin above the paint

-Silicon Carbide will maintain its gloss over time while Silicon Dioxide will lose some of its gloss over time due to oxidation

-Opti-Coat Pro offers superior chemical resistance over the competition due to its chemical structure

"True coatings are characterised by their silicon content (not silicone), and 2 principal variations of silicon are used. The most common is Silicon Dioxide, sometimes marketed as glass, quartz or ceramic, and in all cases that’s true. Modesta SiO2 is suspended in a resin in the form of nano particles of Silicon Dioxide, and the resins suspend this in a film over the paint. SiO2 has a melting point of 1,600 °C (2,910 °F; 1,870 K) and on the Mohs scale of hardness is a # 7

The other coating system is Silicon Carbide (SiC) Opti-Coat Pro is the only coating available that harnesses the strengths of Silicon Carbide (sometimes referred to as ceramic, industrial diamonds and carborundum. Unlike SiO2 based coatings the SiC based coating actually bonds to the paint and the SiC is formed as a chemical reaction in that process, not by having Nano particles of the ceramic floating in a resin. SiC is superior to SiO2 coatings chemically and has a melting point of 2,730 °C (4,950 °F; 3,000 K) and is a # 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness

Opti-Coat. Pro is unique in many ways because of this fundamental difference in chemistry. Opti-Coat–Pro becomes one with the paint instead of suspending nano particles of a harder substance in a resin. This gives Opti-Coat Pro far superior chemical resistance, as the chemical must break down the SiC, and not break down a resin holding SiO2 nano particles. OCP is harder than other coatings, but no coating is scratch proof. To obtain maximum strength other coatings require heat curing, with OCP that’s not required. SiO2 coatings obtain their maximum gloss immediately, and that gloss drops off over time,

Opti-Coat Pro obtains its maximum gloss once the polymerization process is completed (roughly 7 days). Opti-Coat Pro will maintain its gloss over time, SiO2 coatings start losing their gloss through oxidation and it continues to drop, requiring the need to add periodically some form of resin to maintain or restore the gloss and protection

These coatings are layer-able to produce a thicker top coat if used correctly. Offering effective durability to extreme temperatures, ultra violet (UV) radiation protection and a gloss, similar to candy-coat paint. "

To learn more about Opti-Coat Pro or to locate an installer in your area, please visit Optimum Polymer Technologies at

http://www.opti-coat.net/approved-dealers.php
Old 3/14/16, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I cannot say in technical terms the difference in that product and the one I applied called Sapphire V1 by Flight Shield. What I can tell you is that it is well worth the money. Any ceramic coating IMO is a great investment.

This is what is looked like freshly applied.

Name:  20150918_173155.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  144.5 KB

Name:  20150918_173141.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3225.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  57.9 KB

Last edited by CoyotePremium13; 3/14/16 at 05:18 PM.
Old 3/14/16, 05:55 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
What I can tell you is that it is well worth the money. Any ceramic coating IMO is a great investment.
I agree sir.
Car looks amazing.
Old 3/14/16, 06:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
I cannot say in technical terms the difference in that product and the one I applied called Sapphire V1 by Flight Shield. What I can tell you is that it is well worth the money. Any ceramic coating IMO is a great investment.

I've never heard of that product but it is a highly likelihood a SiO2 (silicon dioxide) coating which as I explained is not quite as durable as Silicon Carbide (Opti-Coat Pro)

Car looks great as the prep and choice of installer plays a big role in the final result
Old 3/15/16, 03:11 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
the prep and choice of installer plays a big role in the final result
Correct sir!
I'm getting ready to finalize and schedule an appointment to have my truck done with their Stage One polishing, wash/clay/buff/etc., etc. and then have 2 coats of CQuartz Finest applied to the entire vehicle and all 4 wheels.

Opti-Coat is a great product as well. They also use and do the Opti-Coat at that shop. One of the best shops in the Northeast.
Old 3/15/16, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Correct sir!
I'm getting ready to finalize and schedule an appointment to have my truck done with their Stage One polishing, wash/clay/buff/etc., etc. and then have 2 coats of CQuartz Finest applied to the entire vehicle and all 4 wheels.

Opti-Coat is a great product as well. They also use and do the Opti-Coat at that shop. One of the best shops in the Northeast.
Cquartz Finest is an example of an SiO2 coating (silicon dioxide) which as I explained above is inferior in some ways to SiC (silicon carbide / Opti-Coat Pro)
Old 3/15/16, 06:32 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Cquartz Finest is an example of an SiO2 coating (silicon dioxide) which as I explained above is inferior in some ways to SiC (silicon carbide / Opti-Coat Pro)
Now when you say inferior, is it because it doesn't last as long? And that it doesn't seep into the paint, but rather sit on top of the paint?
Is there a warranty with the Opti-Coat application? I am getting a 2 year warranty on the CQuartz Finest.
Old 3/15/16, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Now when you say inferior, is it because it doesn't last as long? And that it doesn't seep into the paint, but rather sit on top of the paint?
Is there a warranty with the Opti-Coat application? I am getting a 2 year warranty on the CQuartz Finest.

Doesn't last as long, doesn't bond to the paint (floats in a resin above the paint), will periodically need a spray type of wipe down to restore the surface protection, gloss will drop over time due to oxidation

Opti-Coat Pro carries a 5yr warranty and Opti-Coat Pro Plus comes with 7yr warranty

Old 3/16/16, 03:12 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Doesn't last as long, doesn't bond to the paint (floats in a resin above the paint), will periodically need a spray type of wipe down to restore the surface protection, gloss will drop over time due to oxidation
Opti-Coat Pro carries a 5yr warranty and Opti-Coat Pro Plus comes with 7yr warranty
Very impressive. I may have to ask about that!

Search this Thread