2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Trinity Engine Is Not Dead Yet!

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/13, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trinity Engine Is Not Dead Yet!

I found and article with an interview with Ford's Chief Engineer discussing some engineering tidbits about the new mustang. He was asked specifically about the future SVT mustang and the Trinity engine. He states that it will fit in the S550 with modifications and has not been eliminated from being used. That doesn't mean that it will be used but doesn't mean it will not be used. I still think it will be used. Boomer and Overboost both said I would be eating crow on what I said before that it would be used in the new car. I will buy the new SVT with the "Trinity Engine" 2014 Shelby buyers prepare to get mad!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-2015-Mustang/
Old 12/9/13, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. If true the '13/'14 GT500 guys are going to get their feathers rustled.
Old 12/9/13, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Linked Article
All European cars will have the Performance Pack which means a larger radiator, summer tyres, 19in wheels, not 20s, with wider 275-rear tyres on the V8, upgraded brake cooling, six-piston calipers for the V8 and four-piston for the Ecoboost, and upgraded and specifically tuned axles.

What work have you done to the 5.0-litre V8?

We’ve made massive improvements with revised higher-lift cams, better flow from the cylinder heads, a new intake manifold, valve springs and conrods from the Boss 302. Top speeds have been raised across the range, and the V8 now does 155mph.
Sounds like the new Coyote will be a monster.

Last edited by Ibnzmonkey; 12/9/13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12/9/13, 06:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
Interesting. If true the '13/'14 GT500 guys are going to get their feathers rustled.
Why?

As a 13 owner I sincerely hope it does live on.
Old 12/9/13, 06:22 PM
Banned

No fair.

In my opinion SVT has to make the next Shelby or Shelbys great. People will be able to buy what I call super GTs that will perform better than Boss 302s. That will significantly close the gap between a GT and the SVT. A GT 350 with a NA Voodoo engine would have about 100hp more than a GT. GTs can have big wheels and big tires and big 15" 6 piston breaks and a GT already has a diffuser and a chin spoiler and a heat extractor hood! That without mentioning all the high tech and luxury goodies. SVT needs something that will still make it worth the extra money to pay for the SVT version and they only thing left that is worth while is the "Trinity" engine. No mustangaphobe would buy a "Trinity" and do a "Trinity" swap. There you go separation and exclusivity problem solved.
Old 12/9/13, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Why?

Because most of you will immediately run to the dealer to trade in.

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
In my opinion SVT has to make the next Shelby or Shelbys great. People will be able to buy what I call super GTs that will perform better than Boss 302s. That will significantly close the gap between a GT and the SVT. A GT 350 with a NA Voodoo engine would have about 100hp more than a GT. GTs can have big wheels and big tires and big 15" 6 piston breaks and a GT already has a diffuser and a chin spoiler and a heat extractor hood! That without mentioning all the high tech and luxury goodies. SVT needs something that will still make it worth the extra money to pay for the SVT version and they only thing left that is worth while is the "Trinity" engine. No mustangaphobe would buy a "Trinity" and do a "Trinity" swap. There you go separation and exclusivity problem solved.
I meant it wasn't fair that Euro Spec Mustangs get all the go fast goodies as standard equipment.
Old 12/9/13, 06:26 PM
Banned

It looks like the new coyote engine will be a forged monster and be even better than the Boss 302 engine. People will lose interest in buying the SVT if they don't offer something special and exclusive. It will not be difficult for GT buyers who get the track pack and then 4k or 5k for a nice supercharger set up to put up big numbers. I think the weak point will move from the engine to the independent rear end axle shaft and CV joints. How much extra can they handle if people start boosting the new GTs.
Old 12/9/13, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is awesome news! Upgraded suspension, 600+ HP, Cobra badges.

Body work to distinguish from the GT( hopefully ala 03-04)

Heat extractor hood
Nice spoiler
Grill delete w/ Cobra
Brake ducts
Big tires

This car should hit (mid to low) 11s in the qtr.

With the way the GT is shaping up I project low 12s for it.
Old 12/9/13, 09:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I will buy the new SVT with the "Trinity Engine" 2014 Shelby buyers prepare to get mad!

Keep your shorts on.
Whenever the SVT car gets announced then you can get all excited or not.
Old 12/9/13, 10:32 PM
GTR Member

Oh Lord. His response wasn't confirmation of anything, just the possibility it might work with enough time and effort. Wait until SVT pulls the curtain off their creation and see what they offer.
Old 12/10/13, 02:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not even gonna be a 2015 SVT....and would not be the least bit surprised if "Shelby" disappears completely now that he has passed away. Already rumors of SVT Cobra coming back. Just because it fits, doesn't mean they are going to use it. Ford's thing now is Ecoboost, turbos are smaller and more efficient and can make more power and still maintain better gas mileage. I can see Ford not offering anything between the GT and SVT product. The new changes for the 5.0 are gonna put it close to 475 at the crank. And they still have DI on the table which will put the GT over 500 easily. That puts the SVT into 600+
Ford renewed the Mach 1 licensing...could see them offering that as a stripped down street legal drag car, even with a SRA
Old 12/10/13, 03:40 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I believe the SRA is gone for good with the possible exception of the Cobra Jet. With the revised front suspension, I can't see FMC going to the effort (spend the money) of creating and testing two rear suspension setups. Although, I have been wrong before . . .
Old 12/10/13, 06:54 AM
GTR Member

Here's the exact quote:

Will there be a Shelby version of the latest Mustang? Can the 662bhp V8 from the outgoing GT500 fit?

The 5.8-litre supercharged engine? We’ve not excluded it from fitting. Modifications will have to be made, but will it go under the hood? Yes, it will…
There's nothing affirmative about that statement. As I said before, with enough time and money, you can do anything. The question is, will it be cost effective for Ford to go forward with it? Also, is this the direction that they want to continue to take Mustang in? Unless you know the answers to both, I don't think his statement tells you anything.
Old 12/10/13, 07:21 AM

I meant it wasn't fair that Euro Spec Mustangs get all the go fast goodies as standard equipment.
Perhaps best to look at it that us Yanks have a lower cost option in addition to more fully-fleshed but more expensive models, perhaps an option the Europeans wish they had.
Old 12/10/13, 08:23 AM
Banned

It is true that the SVT offering may not come out for the 2015MY and who knows what it will be called but there is logic for the "Trinity" engine to carry over for at least a few years more:

1. Customer Demographics....most people who buy the SVT/Shelby cars are middle aged men that like driving an exclusive car with a lot of horsepower and are people who are not worried about gas mileage. They like "old school" power and would not like anything "rice"!
2. "Voodoo" engines = rice....the purpose of any ecoboost engine is to provide power in a fuel efficient manner. If they use a flat plane crank it will sound like a four cylinder(rice). It would make more power than a stock GT but would not sound as masculine. A twin turbo coyote engine would be nice and still sound masculine but it would not be as exclusive as the "Trinity" engine. In any case either of the choices would result in less people wanting them who can afford them.
3. It does not take a lot of modification to make it fit. The S550 uses a new front suspension set up that allows for more engine bay room and also bigger brakes as an additional benefit. Reverse mounting of the supercharger like Saleen does and or the use of a slim intake manifold like the old thunderbird super coupes did woud be easy to do.
4. "Voice of the customer" It is very clear that the customer wants to keep the "Trinity" engine as indicated by surveys and opinions voiced on various forums. I noted that several people rushed out to by 2014 Shelby GT500s when there was the slightest speculation that the engine would not fit.
5. If the engine will fit, the customer wants it, the customer is willing to pay for bad gas mileage then what is the motivation to discard the engine?
Old 12/10/13, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Why?

Amen! I don't believe it though ...
Old 12/10/13, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kabooka
Amen! I don't believe it though ...
You are right. To me saying that the "Trinity" engine that will fit will be discontinued because an ecoboost engine will be better on gas is ridiculous. The ecoboost V-6 that is used in the taurus and the f-150 could be amped up to 450hp and save gas and fit better in the GT but I bet that would turn a lot of people off. I really don't think so many people will buy the SVT without the "Trinity" It would have been better if they had came out and said that it would not fit in any way shape or form possible.
Old 12/10/13, 08:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is true that the SVT offering may not come out for the 2015MY and who knows what it will be called but there is logic for the "Trinity" engine to carry over for at least a few years more:

1. Customer Demographics....most people who buy the SVT/Shelby cars are middle aged men that like driving an exclusive car with a lot of horsepower and are people who are not worried about gas mileage. They like "old school" power and would not like anything "rice"!
2. "Voodoo" engines = rice....the purpose of any ecoboost engine is to provide power in a fuel efficient manner. If they use a flat plane crank it will sound like a four cylinder(rice). It would make more power than a stock GT but would not sound as masculine. A twin turbo coyote engine would be nice and still sound masculine but it would not be as exclusive as the "Trinity" engine. In any case either of the choices would result in less people wanting them who can afford them.
3. It does not take a lot of modification to make it fit. The S550 uses a new front suspension set up that allows for more engine bay room and also bigger brakes as an additional benefit. Reverse mounting of the supercharger like Saleen does and or the use of a slim intake manifold like the old thunderbird super coupes did woud be easy to do.
4. "Voice of the customer" It is very clear that the customer wants to keep the "Trinity" engine as indicated by surveys and opinions voiced on various forums. I noted that several people rushed out to by 2014 Shelby GT500s when there was the slightest speculation that the engine would not fit.
5. If the engine will fit, the customer wants it, the customer is willing to pay for bad gas mileage then what is the motivation to discard the engine?
Uh... where to begin.
1) Sure. But this is not engine specific.
2) No one but people involved in this project would know what the engine of choice for SVT will be or sound like.
Anyone else is just talking out their blowhole.
3)This is a typical armchair engineer speak.
4)More blowhole speak
5)See #4 with some added noise.

I've read the complete opposite.
I've read and seen on numerous boards how people don't want the added weight and will welcome a newer more efficient engine that make gobs of HP.
That whole thing was made up.
Just proving a point how I can write anything to suit my own agenda.
Old 12/10/13, 10:17 AM
GTR Member

It's going to be powered by unicorn **** and run on rainbows for boost! With enough effort, they'll make it run on garbage. See, when there's a will, there's a way.

Your points are flawed hands down. There is ZERO proof outside of your opinion that they'll keep it around.
Old 12/10/13, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

As a 2014 GT500 owner, I would welcome the Trinity 5.8 liter engine in the new Mustang. I would keep my 2014 GT500 because there will most likely not be a Mustang produced with the SRA rear end again. I am a big fan of the SRA rear end and will treasure the fact I could get a Mustang with one before they went out of production. However, I would like to see what kind of performance the SVT team could wring out of a Mustang that is lighter and has IRS. I would just like to see how much faster an IRS GT500 Mustang would be than my GT500 on a road course.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 12/10/13 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Trinity Engine Is Not Dead Yet!