2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Tire choice for 777hp

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/16, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Absolutely!

But you ain't gonna make it on a 8.5" wheel. Unless it's a 15X8.5 with full slicks or ET streets. In fact there is absolutely no logical reason to not upgrade the wheel size.
Old 3/1/16, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Traction isn't king, staying off the go pedal is. Unless you're actually racing... Then yes traction is very nice to have. All the traction in the world just means you hit that tree head on, not sideways.
Old 3/1/16, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Very informative thread. Awesome advise!

Originally Posted by Ecostang
That's your best chance with stock rims IMO. A friend of mine has a 2013 gt500 and only runs nitto 555s, he told me it was a mistake to go with the the michelins if I was looking for traction. I got the michelins anyways because I really like the way they looked, they were safer in the rain, and I didn't expect that I would not be able to get traction until 3rd gear.
My MPSS's are currently backordered, been waiting 2months now. The only reason to wait this long (and more waiting, no ETA) is because what everyone is saying about Michelin's.

But not getting traction until the 3rd confuses me. Should I cancel the order and get Nitto 555s?

Last edited by PonyMuscletang13; 3/1/16 at 11:32 PM.
Old 3/2/16, 12:32 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
What I think you are looking for are tires like the SCCA Autocrossers use. They use a 200 tread wear tire. If you look up the Tire Rack and look for extreme performance summer tire.
This is probably one of the better tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....-Force+Rival+S

Hankook also has a good one
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....28Version+2%29
Old 3/2/16, 03:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
At this power level, " street " tires don't get the job done.
You need a 10 or 11" rear wheel.
The tires that will " hook ", aren't much good in the rain.
The smart money would be to buy a beater for a DD............GOOD LUCK !!
Old 3/2/16, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Very informative thread. Awesome advise!

My MPSS's are currently backordered, been waiting 2months now. The only reason to wait this long (and more waiting, no ETA) is because what everyone is saying about Michelin's.

But not getting traction until the 3rd confuses me. Should I cancel the order and get Nitto 555s?
No problem!

If your not pushing more than 500 whp and 500 lb of tourqe the MPSS will be fine, actually it's all about the torque level that really breaks the tire loose.

When my MPSS wear out I'll replace them with michelins again, I got approx 30% more traction than the stock goodyears btw. For that reason people love them, I get it. They are also a very good looking tire, I'm not a big fan of the nitto look. The goodyears were worn out around 3k miles, the MPSS have 7k on them and they are probably 50% worn.

They also did very well at road course racing. BUT if I were racing the car 1/4 mi I would go with the nittos. On the street, against another car with street tires, there's no competition. At the 1/4 mi track however I would get spanked by 5.0 with slicks or drag radials often. Again it's all about your torque levels.

Just for fun I really need to make a video of the 1-3rd tire smoke, it's doesn't seem likely this could happen but it does. This isn't dumping the clutch, this is rolling in to the throttle in each gear. If you dump the clutch you may be in 3rd gear burning the tires and only moved 10' lol. I'll try to get my GoPro going today and get a video.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/2/16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 3/2/16, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
At this power level, " street " tires don't get the job done.
You need a 10 or 11" rear wheel.
The tires that will " hook ", aren't much good in the rain.
The smart money would be to buy a beater for a DD............GOOD LUCK !!
I totally
Old 3/2/16, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Just to be clear, everyone is referencing the 555R's correct? Because the regular 555s are garbage. I'd be interested to try the 555 Gen 2's though.

Also for Nitto, the NT05s and NT05Rs are another good choice.
Old 3/2/16, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Just to be clear, everyone is referencing the 555R's correct? Because the regular 555s are garbage. I'd be interested to try the 555 Gen 2's though.

NT05 is not really for hooking with tons of power, it's more of an autocross tire.

The NT05R is the next step up from the 555R, but even worse in the rain.

Unfortunately, the OP seems to think he knows more than anybody posting in this thread, so he and his over-boosted car will probably be on the news covering some horrific crash where the driver lost control of his Mustang.
Hopefully he doesn't kill anybody when he does.

Last edited by Gabe; 3/2/16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 3/2/16, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Correct, I'm referring to the 555r. Thanks for clarifying that!
Old 3/2/16, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
NT05 is not really for hooking with tons of power, it's more of an autocross tire.

The NT05R is the next step up from the 555R, but even worse in the rain.

Unfortunately, the OP seems to think he knows more than anybody posting in this thread, so he and his over-boosted car will probably be on the news covering some horrific crash where the driver lost control of him Mustang.
Yes and yes on the NT05s, but yeah I'd really only suggest the Rs for his power level, and not for rain use. I know guys that have driven their full bolt-on s550s in the rain on the Rs, and it's not advisable whatsoever, but doable...that's with 450whp though, not another engine's worth on top of that.
Old 3/2/16, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
My car is almost exclusively driven on the street, because of traction issues I wasn't successful at the track and gave up trying.

I did learn something racing my car last year. It doesn't necessarily matter how much HP you have, it's how much you can get to the ground. With my car I'm able to put around 450 RWHP to the ground despite having close to 700 RWHP on a dyno. I figured this out because other mustangs running slicks with 400-450 RWHP, that didn't have any traction issues, were running the same 1/4 mile time as me at my local track.

I talked with a guy running .5 seconds quicker than me in a 2014 gt500 and asked what his secret was. He actually had less mods than me, made 50 RWHP less but he had a setup rear end and nitto tires. That really got me thinking about the correlation between HP, traction, and speed.
I wouldn't necessarily say you were putting 400-450HP down. You were putting down all 700HP but had tire spin which cost you a lot of time. I bet you were trapping higher than those cars and your back half numbers were probably better then theirs once you caught traction. Then you have to go ahead and look at the suspension differences in getting the car out and moving etc.

Suspension and tires will help enormously in getting all that power to the ground. It is fun to blow the tires off though haha

Originally Posted by dly
What I think you are looking for are tires like the SCCA Autocrossers use. They use a 200 tread wear tire. If you look up the Tire Rack and look for extreme performance summer tire.
This is probably one of the better tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....-Force+Rival+S

Hankook also has a good one
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....28Version+2%29
The G-Force Rivals are awesome tires for autocross!! A lot of people seem to be using them with some really good success. Nice choice on those.

Once I wear out my MPSS I am thinking about going with the RE-11's. I have heard FANTASTIC reviews on them.

No problem!

If your not pushing more than 500 whp and 500 lb of tourqe the MPSS will be fine, actually it's all about the torque level that really breaks the tire loose.

When my MPSS wear out I'll replace them with michelins again, I got approx 30% more traction than the stock goodyears btw. For that reason people love them, I get it. They are also a very good looking tire, I'm not a big fan of the nitto look. The goodyears were worn out around 3k miles, the MPSS have 7k on them and they are probably 50% worn.

+1 to that

Those stock Goodyears suck!! Ford sacrificed performance for wet traction, price and a little bit of longevity (when handled properly). If I was OP I would also look at the Toyo R888's. They still have some good road manors in the wet and have rave reviews everywhere. They are also popular on the Cobras which are putting down some good numbers and shouldn't be too bad of a DD tire depending on where you are int he country.

The Pirelli Corsa's that were on my car hooked like crazy! They would on a warm day hook from a dead stop with some throttle control and they handled amazingly.
Old 3/2/16, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
......Unfortunately, the OP seems to think he knows more than anybody posting in this thread, so he and his over-boosted car will probably be on the news covering some horrific crash where the driver lost control of him Mustang.
Why so harsh, you drive a supercharged car too right? Are you arguing just because he wants to drive it daily and perhaps you chose not to, or just because it's more power than yours so you think you can handle yours but he can't handle his? Just didn't understand the need to assume he's absolutely going to wreck it because it's "over boosted" in your words.
Old 3/2/16, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Why so harsh, you drive a supercharged car too right? Are you arguing just because he wants to drive it daily and perhaps you chose not to, or just because it's more power than yours so you think you can handle yours but he can't handle his? Just didn't understand the need to assume he's absolutely going to wreck it because it's "over boosted" in your words.
No, I'm arguing because he asks for advise and when he gets it he seems to shi* on it.
Strikes me as a young kid whose daddy paid for everything and doesn't know anything about how prepping a car to be boosted is more important than any other part of the process.
Build the suspension, get some real tires, and THEN boost the thing.
Or, boost it to the moon, then realize you're spinning just breathing on the gas pedal, then jump on forums asking what tire will cure the problem.
No tire will.
It's a whole system that's needed.
Old 3/2/16, 02:35 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Allen,........do yourself a favor and go to Youtube and search for some videos of high powered cars to see what they are running. That will be a great indicator for you.
Old 3/2/16, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ford20
I wouldn't necessarily say you were putting 400-450HP down. You were putting down all 700HP but had tire spin which cost you a lot of time. I bet you were trapping higher than those cars and your back half numbers were probably better then theirs once you caught traction. Then you have to go ahead and look at the suspension differences in getting the car out and moving etc.

Suspension and tires will help enormously in getting all that power to the ground. It is fun to blow the tires off though haha.
I agree with you and understand that, I just did a poor job of explaining what I meant. A car with slicks that doesn't spin and has 450 whp is basically putting that amount of HP down the entire track. If I launch and blow the tires off through 1st and 1/2 way through 2nd I'm putting less than 450 whp to the ground while spinning, but as soon as I hook then I'm putting down my 700 whp. If you averaged my HP based on traction from one end of the track to the other I'm only putting down the equivalent of 450 whp. I don't know if my explanation made this more confusing or not, my logic still could be wrong

Once I learned I needed better suspension and better track tires I decided to build a race car instead. I didn't mind the few engine bolt ons that I have but I didn't want to modify the car any more than that. I didn't want to beat it up that much either, track days are hard on our cars. I dont ever plan to sell the car and want to keep it mostly stock and in good shape so my kids can have it some day.
Old 3/3/16, 10:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Stiff sidewall to handle the turns but stick well. They last about 8k miles and don't do well if the road is wet at all.

This! So much this!

I remember the first time I ran DR's and forgot I had DR's and the ground was just damp on some new pavement and new paint. I dove into an off ramp and right as I hugged the turn and the passenger rear tire kissed that new paint on the road I suddenly remembered I had a set of Nitto DR's on the rear. I said fudge but not really and away I went doing a few pirouettes ( three as I recall ).

Anyways to the OP

With almost 800 horsepower to the rear wheels your going to have traction problems no matter how much tire you've got in the rear and whatever suspension mods you have. That's life with a powerful street car.

The only time your gonna have some really good traction is with a set of super sticky drag tires at a well prepped track on a good day where the pavement is just right. The rest of the time your just going to have to use some restraint.

Frankly I'd get a good summer tire or good performance all-season tire if you frequent places where the temp can get below 40 degrees (or a snow tire if it snows a lot and keep a set of summer tires for when the weather is good).

They wont be as sticky as a set of DR's but in the case of the summer tire or all-season tire your going to get better all around performance especially when the road is wet.

I've driven the GT500 with its 700+ whp in all sorts of weather with okay to great summer and all season tires and have done fine unless I'm trying to go full throttle from a dig or up to 3rd gear.
Old 3/4/16, 08:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
12 to 15psi, a little water, use your line-lock to heat them up !!
Name:  28X125X15LT09-02-2011002.jpg
Views: 11046
Size:  169.3 KB

Old 3/4/16, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out the hard way about temperature and tires on my car.

I run the MPSS now and I'm at around 550 to the wheel and I cannot matte the throttle until probably third gear and even then it's doing it very carefully.

On a street tire at 700 you're just not going to hook up unless you run a wide drag radial and even then... probably not.

Like others have said a drag radial will suck in the rain and corners so if it were me I'd run the MPSS and be very very careful with the car.

Basically that's what I do now hehe and my "traction control" in my '07 is basically non-existent. It went off one time at a stop sign because it was on an uneven hill... that's the only time it has ever gone off.

When I slid my car into several trees it never activated :/

On the newer cars you have active TC so you're better off than us in the older cars... but you're still going to have to be very careful with that much HP.

Kind of like what others have said... it's cool to say, "I have 700 hp" but the practicality of it is you're probably much better off with less because you'll be able to use it... and you won't have to baby that throttle as much.

At my power level I still have to baby it in first and second... my car is also a DD.
Old 3/4/16, 01:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Traction control didn't do me any good last year when I got into a slide, other than leave me dead in the water when I started to correct the slide, allowing me to be t-boned...and insurance blamed it 100% on me for breaking traction. Even though the idiot that hit me had plenty of time to brake/swerve. And it was his idiotic driving moves that caused me to take evasive action in the first place.

Quick Reply: Tire choice for 777hp