2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Thinking of upgrading exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/15, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to upgrade exhaust on my 2015 and was hoping for some feed back on Borla vs Magnaflow.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 6/25/15, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I went back and forth with them both until I heard the Corsa Extreme's. The build quality is outstanding and I got them for les than $700. Just my opinion though.
Old 6/26/15, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by pminri
I went back and forth with them both until I heard the Corsa Extreme's. The build quality is outstanding and I got them for les than $700. Just my opinion though.
thanks for the response will have to look into them
Old 6/26/15, 06:23 PM

I heard you should stay away from three inch exhaust if you aren't doing any engine modifications. Anyone have any info if this is true or not?
Old 6/26/15, 09:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked with my exhaust guy who does my fabrication stuff for me and he said 3" is a waste on a stock car. It removes to much back pressure and kills performance. Unless you have a lot of headwork cams and intake it really doesn't help. I just had everything custom built x-pipe back with mid mount mufflers and went with 2.5" and id say thats about perfect on a stock motor. Now granted i have a 4.6 but i still don't think the stock 5.0 puts out enough to get any benefit from it. He also said he just did a supercharger on a Camaro with 3" and it was not making the power it should. It all depends on your goals with the car and what route you plan to take your build.
Old 6/27/15, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
I talked with my exhaust guy who does my fabrication stuff for me and he said 3" is a waste on a stock car. It removes to much back pressure and kills performance. Unless you have a lot of headwork cams and intake it really doesn't help. I just had everything custom built x-pipe back with mid mount mufflers and went with 2.5" and id say thats about perfect on a stock motor. Now granted i have a 4.6 but i still don't think the stock 5.0 puts out enough to get any benefit from it. He also said he just did a supercharger on a Camaro with 3" and it was not making the power it should. It all depends on your goals with the car and what route you plan to take your build.
Thanks for that info I had heard three inch was to much for stock motor and my plans are to leave engine stock so I will stick with two and a half inch system
Old 6/28/15, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pats67copo
Looking to upgrade exhaust on my 2015 and was hoping for some feed back on Borla vs Magnaflow.
Any help would be appreciated

I have the Borla S catback exhaust w/the black tips. I love it. It's loud but not so loud it will get any attention from your local's finest. It has the 2.5" pipes all the way back. Perfect match for the Coyote 5.0 My 2 cents.
Old 6/29/15, 05:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pminri
^^+++ Def Corsa Extreme's.. I have them on my 14 GT Premium and you sound bad azz!!
Old 6/29/15, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
Tell your exhaust guy, he's a idiot.

3" catback on my 15 gt showed dyno proven 5 peak hp over stock and 7-9 ALL along the dyno curve

On the same dyno, same day, same hour with multiple pulls to prove it.

Added 1 7/8 stainless works headers and got another 35 peak hp and along the curve too.

Fabricators usually know very little about what actually makes power

Does he have a dyno in house? I'm betting 100% no.
Old 6/30/15, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony k
3" catback on my 15 gt showed dyno proven 5 peak hp over stock and 7-9 ALL along the dyno curve
That pretty much proves that a 3 " system is not worth it. You get that or more with a 2.5" system.

5 HP is not detectable by the butt dyno and 7-9 requires a pretty sensitive one.
Old 7/2/15, 08:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dgc333
That pretty much proves that a 3 " system is not worth it. You get that or more with a 2.5" system.

5 HP is not detectable by the butt dyno and 7-9 requires a pretty sensitive one.
I had a 3" Gibson catback installed on day 2 of ownership and my wife INSISTED that it was too loud. Now I have a 2.5" Ford Racing/Borla Touring/black tip exhaust that works for both of us. Yup...the 3" didn't do too much except on the high rpm, and the FR/Borla 2.5" is a lot better at the bottom end, where you use it the most in daily driving. I just wish the FR/Borla did cost so **** much!