2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Something somewhat new to discuss...

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/14, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something somewhat new to discuss...

This article was posted on Facebook and I thought I'd share it here as a conversation piece (peace too, hopefully).

Original Article Here

It is widely expected that the new 2.3L EcoBoost engine in the 2015 Ford Mustang will eventually replace the 3.7L V6 as the base model engine, there is still plenty of room in the Mustang lineup for a V6 engine – packing EcoBoost power and sitting in the middle of the engine lineup.

Ford Motor Company execs have been saying for quite some time now that the mighty Mustang would eventually have an EcoBoost option so when the 2015 Mustang was introduced with the new 2.3L EcoBoost 4-cylinder, no one was really surprised. It had been speculated whether Ford would opt for another twin turbo EcoBoost V6 or if they would go with a turbocharger 4-cylinder like the Turbo 4s of the Mustang Fox Body era so when it became official that the 2015 models would have an EcoBoost 4, it put a great deal of discussion to rest. What did come as a surprise was that the new EcoBoost power was very similar to the base V6 – and the V6 would also be offered for the start of the next generation. However, I think that there is still a very real chance that an EcoBoost V6 could arrive in the Mustang engine bay in the next few years.

The Demise of the V6 Mustang

The new 2.3L EcoBoost engine in the 2015 Ford Mustang packs very similar horsepower, gobs more torque and better fuel economy than the TiVCT 3.7L V6 that has been powering the Ford Mustang for years now. Take into consideration the advantages of the EcoBoost 4-cylinder mill along with the relatively small upcharge to go from the base V6 to the EcoBoost 4 and it is hard to come up with a good case to buy the base V6 – or for Ford to continue offering it. Because of this, many people expect that the current V6 will leave the lineup soon and the new EcoBoost 4-cylinder will become the base model engine in the non-GT Ford Mustang.

The “problem” with the 2.3L EcoBoost 4-cylinder serving as the base engine and the 5.0L V8 being the Ford Mustang’s “normal” V8 is that there is going to be a very hefty gap in performance. It is expected that the new EcoBoost Mustang will pack somewhere in the area of 315 horsepower and 300lb-ft of torque while the 2015 Mustang GT will use the familiar 5.0L V8 to produce better than 420 horsepower and more than 400lb-ft of torque. That is a pretty massive gap and with this big power gap will likely come a pricing gap. It is into that gap where I could see Ford inserting a future EcoBoost V6 that will offer a little more power than the EcoBoost 4 and a little better fuel economy than the 5.0L V8.

The Introduction of a Twin Turbo V6

Right now, Ford has one very good, very powerful and very reliable EcoBoost V6 in their arsenal and that is the 3.5L twin turbo V6 that powers the Ford Taurus SHO, the Ford F150, the Ford Flex and a collection of Lincoln models. This mill produces 365 horsepower and 360lb-ft of torque in its most powerful form so if Ford went with that very engine in the future Ford Mustang, it would fit right between the 4-cylinder EcoBoost and the 5.0L V8 with roughly 50 more horsepower than the base engine and 60 or so horsepower less than the V8. Also, based on the price increase of the EcoBoost V6 over the 4-cylinder options, this twin turbo V6 could likely be priced to sit between the base 4-banger and the 5.0L V8.

Ford Motor Company could also use the new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that will power the 2015 Ford F150. Power figures for that motor haven’t been announced thus far, but Ford has stated that it would offer similar power to competitors’ midlevel V8 engines. That would put the power output in the range of 325 horsepower and 340lb-ft of torque so, based on the official figures of the EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine could overlap a bit with the base 4. Fortunately, Ford could tweak the new 2.7L EcoBoost – or come up with some new variant that is smaller than the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 yet a little more powerful than the new 2.7L V6. Ultimately, a smaller option than the 3.5L EcoBoost could allow Ford to get even better fuel economy while still packing enough power to sit right in the middle of the 4-cylinder EcoBoost and the 5.0L V8.
Old 6/25/14, 08:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A twin turbo or even single turbo V6 mustang sounds very interesting/appealing :-)
Old 6/25/14, 09:05 PM
GT Member

I feel that in the not too far future, the gt will be a twin turbo v6... I mean look at the gtr... I hope it's not soon, but if it happens I'll be happy to have bought my coyote

They would put an up rated Taurus SHO motor in a stang and it would be a hell of a car. I praise the turbo idea, but there is something to be said for the feel and characteristics of a naturally aspirated v8... They are going extinct, so it is pretty nice to own one when even the m3/m4 is a turbo 6 now...

The 3.7 v6 will be gone soon, as good as some might believe it to be, it's not as exciting or "brand happy" as the ecoboost motor... It's definitely what should be the entry level motor... They have it backwards right now going v6 to turbo 4, making the gas conscious one more expensive... It hurts the whole point for going fuel efficient... Granted it will outperform the v6 too... Especially when tuned... That turbo has a lot of potential... The k03 in the focus st was seeing a huge jump in torque with just a ots tune... I can only imagine withe the k04. $500 and the ecoboost will be a pretty solid force
Old 6/26/14, 08:00 AM

I might expect that if Ford does anything, they'll have both the more traditional V8 GT model and and accompanying TT V6 model, perhaps under the ST moniker. The ST might not sit under the GT per se, but rather, complement it in the lineup, being a bit more hi-tech oriented and aiming more for foreign sports car/coupe buyers to add to the Mustang's buyer demographics.

I could also see such an engine and Mustang platform underpinning a Lincoln performance sedan, which they so desperately need.
Old 6/26/14, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
This is a stupid article. Even I have been saying that Ford could do a V6TT mid level model, but if you stop and think about it, the 2.3T offers more power than the base V6, that has had the same "performance gap" as the V6 to GT since 2011.

Essentially, the 2.3T is shrinking the performance gap that was already there. There's not much room in the price scheme for a V6TT model in between the EcoBoost and the GT.

Last edited by laserred38; 6/26/14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 6/26/14, 08:56 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
This is a stupid article. Even I have been saying that Ford could do a V6TT mid level model, but if you stop and thinks about it, the 2.3T offers more power than the base V6, that has had the same "performance gap" as the V6 to GT since 2011.

Essentially, the 2.3T is shrinking the performance gap that was already there. There's not much room in the price scheme for a V6TT model in between the EcoBoost and the GT.
Unless FMC wants to take the development work on their 3.5TT motor from the rolex series (DPs) and develop a Mustang for GT2 specs for Tudor/LeMans specs . . . . . .
Old 6/26/14, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Unless FMC wants to take the development work on their 3.5TT motor from the rolex series (DPs) and develop a Mustang for GT2 specs for Tudor/LeMans specs . . . . . .
Sure I could see that, but not as a regular production model. Maybe...*MAYbe*...as a special edition down the road.
Old 6/26/14, 09:15 AM

Well, they already built a 3.5L EcoBoost for endurance racing, it recently set the course speed record at Daytona with 222.971 MPH and also set the record for fastest standing start to both 10-mile and 10-kilometer.
Old 6/26/14, 10:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd rather see a smaller displacement TT-V8 than go to a 6.

The ceiling on the Mustang GT continues to climb, so unless the TT6 is expected to go passed that, become cheaper,and stomp on tradition, I can't see them going to a 6 in the GT.

GT=V8

The base car has no such designations, and has always been an entry car.
Allows Ford to put in a 4 or 6 and not really step on anyones toes.
They can keep a 6 if it does the job, or they can go to a Turbo4 or even smaller turbo6.

Last edited by Boomer; 6/26/14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 6/26/14, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I'd rather see a smaller displacement TT-V8 than go to a 6. The ceiling on the Mustang GT continues to climb, so unless the TT6 is expected to go passed that, become cheaper,and stomp on tradition, I can't see them going to a 6 in the GT. GT=V8 The base car has no such designations, and has always been an entry car. Allows Ford to put in a 4 or 6 and not really step on anyones toes.
If there's ever a V6TT in the Mustang, it'll probably be the 2.7 - I just don't see a need for a 350-375hp car in between 305 and 420hp cars.
Old 6/26/14, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
If there's ever a V6TT in the Mustang, it'll probably be the 2.7 - I just don't see a need for a 350-375hp car in between 305 and 420hp cars.
Well, Ford already will be offering two motors within just 10-20 hp or so of each other for 2015...

My guess though is that the numbers might be actually ~325 for the Egoboost 4 and closer to 450 for the V8, leaving a nice hole around the 375-400hp area.

Beyond simple power number alone, I think there could be a rationale for an Egoboost V6 that could either plug that power gap and/or complement the base and GT models by aiming at different buyers and niches by offering a model ("ST"?) that is qualitatively different.

Ford could also peel off some GT V8 buyers into a more efficient but similarly powerful TTV6 "ST" model to help their EPA and CAFE numbers while retaining the V8 GT option because, well, that IS the Mustang.
Old 6/26/14, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Well, Ford already will be offering two motors within just 10-20 hp or so of each other for 2015... My guess though is that the numbers might be actually ~325 for the Egoboost 4 and closer to 450 for the V8, leaving a nice hole around the 375-400hp area. Beyond simple power number alone, I think there could be a rationale for an Egoboost V6 that could either plug that power gap and/or complement the base and GT models by aiming at different buyers and niches by offering a model ("ST"?) that is qualitatively different. Ford could also peel off some GT V8 buyers into a more efficient but similarly powerful TTV6 "ST" model to help their EPA and CAFE numbers while retaining the V8 GT option because, well, that IS the Mustang.
Eh the V6 is still offered for fleet buyers and to meet the price point, not to have more offerings...
Old 6/26/14, 11:39 AM
I Have No Life

Or they are testing the waters to see who will buy the EcoBoost.
I don't see them offering both for ever.

And why does everyone believe there is a gap between the V6/Eco4/V8?
Then there was a MILE long gap between the GT and the Shelby in 2013.
You may be looking for holes that don't need to be filled.
Old 6/26/14, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Or they are testing the waters to see who will buy the EcoBoost. I don't see them offering both for ever. And why does everyone believe there is a gap between the V6/Eco4/V8? Then there was a MILE long gap between the GT and the Shelby in 2013. You may be looking for holes that don't need to be filled.
Old 6/26/14, 12:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I like how the article makes it sound like the 3.7l has been around forever and is stale and in need of serious updating. It's only been in the Mustang lineup since 11.

If they price the GT and Ecoboost just right, people on a budget my opt for the V6 anyway. I wouldnt count it out yet. After all, many people will buy the car based on looks and not give a d@mn about what's in it as long as it rolls.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 6/26/14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 6/26/14, 01:13 PM
I Have No Life

The only thing that shows they are swaying away from the V6.
Look at the options available on it.

If you want any real content, you HAVE to go to the EcoBoost or GT.
Old 6/26/14, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The only thing that shows they are swaying away from the V6. Look at the options available on it. If you want any real content, you HAVE to go to the EcoBoost or GT.
Exactly. Which is why it's for fleet buyers and to keep the price point because it's a tired and true power plant that is cheap to continue building and offering. I would venture that 70% of V6s sold, are sold with Base packages though. Most rentals are base (with some Premiums) and most dealer lots are full of Base, no option V6s. It's a good $21k basic transportation offering!
Old 6/26/14, 02:51 PM

I was asked to write a response to this story by one of their Reporters. Here is my response.

http://www.torquenews.com/1/could-we...tang-even-more
Old 6/26/14, 03:16 PM
I Have No Life

I think you may be optimistic on the HP numbers.

If the V6 is meant for rentals and bare bottom, I wouldn't expect the Eco4 to be a bridge gap exactly between it and the GT.
It's positioning itself more to the left than to the right.

I wouldn't expect it to have gobs more HP/TQ. More yes, but not a crazy amount.
I'd expect it to be better in its delivery and to still have great mileage.
Old 6/26/14, 03:35 PM

I think you may be optimistic on the HP numbers.

If the V6 is meant for rentals and bare bottom, I wouldn't expect the Eco4 to be a bridge gap exactly between it and the GT.
It's positioning itself more to the left than to the right.

I wouldn't expect it to have gobs more HP/TQ. More yes, but not a crazy amount.
I'd expect it to be better in its delivery and to still have great mileage.
Yeah, that was part of my point, that we just don't know yet and as such, there's no reason to think that there could be a base V6, the EB4, an EB6 and then the 5.0 on top of it.

Quick Reply: Something somewhat new to discuss...