2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Questions about the Mustang - never owned one. Always had German cars.

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/13, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the Mustang - never owned one. Always had German cars.

Hey guys,

I'm assuming I'm probably the only non-Mustang diehard, but here goes my set of questions --

I don't know much about the car. I've owned various cars over the year but have always been a BMW diehard.

Which brings me to my first point: I've been reading these forums and I've seen a lot of disgruntled longtime Mustang fans, and I'm guessing it's because of the exact same reason that a BMW enthusiast like myself would suddenly fall in love with the new design of the 2015 Stang. Perhaps a more 'euro friendly' design now that it'll hit the showrooms of Britain, etc. I can see why some of the old school fans would have a problem with this, but for the first time it appeals to not only me, but plenty of other Europeans who would have normally gone German.

1. Buy or lease?

You guys are the best to answer this question: is it worth buying or leasing the new Mustang? How does the car retain its value? Also, reliability? I plan on keeping the car for 3-5 years, which from what I've seen will most likely be the lifespan for the new design.

I'm not going to go crazy about easy mods - I could easily do without them. Had I had a 2014 Mustang the only thing I would have done would probably put a Borla exhaust.

2. V4 or V6?

V8 is out of the question for financial motives, so here it goes: A V4 ecoboost doesn't exactly embody what I think a Mustang should be -- until I read that it'll have better pace than the V6. So if you had to choose between the two, which one would it be?

3. Color.

What is the most historic Mustang color?

4. Cabin room

I read that they might be slicing off a bit of head room from the 2015. Has anyone heard this? Only reason I ask is because I'm 6'4 and fit just about right in the 2014. (My head touches the ceiling in a Camaro).

Thanks for the help..

Last edited by MBonetti87; 12/28/13 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12/28/13, 09:16 AM
GT Member

I'm real intrigued with the ecoboost 4. Revives the idea of the SVO from the 80's. If I was gonna get something that wasn't a v8, it would be that. Especially since it's gonna have more output than the 6.

Buy/lease is on you, bro. If your plannin on 3-5, sounds like lease plans. But without getting uncomfortable personal with your financials, can't help you.

I would say the most iconic color is dark highland green, due to the whole Steve McQueen thing in "Bullitt", (he drove a 68 390 GT in the movie through SF). But I've always been a huge fan of Calypso Coral, and GHIG, of course.

As for headroom, sorry I don't have the specs, but the roofline looks a bit more cramped. It may have some "shell" in the roofliner to give you some ease. Gonna have to wait and see?

Welcome to the forum.

Ps, my Boss will smoke your BMW.
Old 12/28/13, 09:26 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The most iconic Mustang color is black. I'm sorry but I own 5 different Mustangs and

all of them are different colors but there's just something about a clean black Mustang that will always turn heads. Now that being said it's impossible to keep clean so there you have it.

However you asked for historic. I posted a thread here similar to that question many years ago. The answer was all and none. There really isn't one color because of the 50 years of the car and the fact that the early cars came in so many colors. For some it's white with or without the blue lemans stripes like the GT350s of the first gen. Dark Highland Green of course for Bullitt but it's only even offered on Bullitt edition cars and the last ones were 08-09. There's the Grabber colors of the 60s and 70s but that's at least 3 different colors.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 12/28/13 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12/28/13, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

1. 3-5 years, no modding = lease.
2. Based on current engine information, I would lean toward the upcoming turbo 4 cylinder.
3. The brightest "give-me-a-ticket" red.
4. You should wait and check out the new cabin.

Originally Posted by MBonetti87
...I'm guessing it's because of the exact same reason that a BMW enthusiast like myself would suddenly fall in love with the new design of the 2015 Stang. Perhaps a more 'euro friendly' design now...
What exactly are the features of the new design that make it more 'Euro friendly'? This puzzles me since I do not see any major design differences between the current body and the new one. Surely not just different headlights, rear deck, and IRS?
Old 12/28/13, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

4. Cabin room

I read that they might be slicing off a bit of head room from the 2015. Has anyone heard this? Only reason I ask is because I'm 6'4 and fit just about right in the 2014. (My head touches the ceiling in a Camaro).
There is actually more interior room in the 2015 over the 2014. The seating position is dropped a bit from the current car. While the headroom is down a bit, the leg room is more.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about the Mustang - never owned one. Always had German cars.-2015-v-2014-mustang_zps2eeecc35.jpg  
Old 12/28/13, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
There is actually more interior room in the 2015 over the 2014. The seating position is dropped a bit from the current car. While the headroom is down a bit, the leg room is more.
Very interesting. Thanks. That settles it
Old 12/28/13, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
What exactly are the features of the new design that make it more 'Euro friendly'? This puzzles me since I do not see any major design differences between the current body and the new one. Surely not just different headlights, rear deck, and IRS?
You could say it lost some of those sharp jagged lines which made it so iconic. Perhaps that look isn't for everyone? Has some resemblance to the Ford Fusion, which of course has the front end of an Aston Martin.
Old 12/28/13, 11:12 AM

Most Iconic color has to be white in my mind. That is the Color Shelby raced in.
Black is the most popular and to my eye impact blue(Dark Blue) is best.
Engine? Which ever is fastest. But to be honest I'm not a big fan of buying a first year motor in any car from ford so I would stay away from ford's new 4.
Disclaimer: I own a 2011 coyote .First year of that V8. And yes it had problems.
Old 12/28/13, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want a car that will turn heads without spending a fortune, black will do definitely do it. A black Mustang, with a nice set of wheels, with staggered tires, and a nice pinstripe over the hood, and you'll get a lot of attention. I have 2 11 Mustangs. A red one and a black one and my red one has a significant number of external mods, but it seems like my simpler black Mustang with exactly what I've described above gathers way more attention.
Old 12/28/13, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The most iconic Mustang color is black. I'm sorry but I own 5 different Mustangs and

all of them are different colors but there's just something about a clean black Mustang that will always turn heads. Now that being said it's impossible to keep clean so there you have it.
I couldn't agree more with this. My black one turns more heads without a doubt, but within a day after washing it, dust shows unbelievably. My red car on the other hand can go weeks without a wash and I'll have people ask me if I just washed it...lol.
Old 12/28/13, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First welcome to the wonderful world of mustang. Are you sure you don't want to (or can't) do a V8. Coming from BMW you might just love the heck out of 302 cubic inches of America muscle.

We are all kind of guessing on the turbo 4 as we don't have a clue what it will feel like, what it will sound like and if it will get our blood pumping. I would say 6 cylinder (again what do I know??). As has been mentioned if you fit in the current one, you will likely fit the new one. Buy the car so you can do the mods that make your car uniquely your own.
Old 12/28/13, 04:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

2. I4 or V6?

Fixed, supposed to be a 2.3L direct Injected Turbocharged in-line four.

Depending on your driving cycle the V6 might provide better economy if your cycle includes long distance travel at high speeds where the engine might start to creep into boost or your heavy on the gas pedal. However if its slow speed and bumper to bumper the Ecoboost will work better as you'll be staying out of boost.

Unfortunately the V6 is the base car so it wont be getting the premium equipment available to the GT and Ecoboost Mustang so I guess that's another plus to the I4 car.

Last edited by bob; 12/28/13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12/29/13, 01:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
1. 3-5 years, no modding = lease.
2. Based on current engine information, I would lean toward the upcoming turbo 4 cylinder.
3. The brightest "give-me-a-ticket" red.
4. You should wait and check out the new cabin.

You can mod a leased car,I do it all the time. Either sell it as is or return to stock before turn in. You can recoup 60-70% of the cost of the mods. Thats why when I do mod I do it right away.

BTW, sold my leased 2011 M3 for almost $49K when the residual was $40k. Of course BMW wanted me to turn in my car

Returned it to stock and put the parts on my 2013 M3.
Old 12/29/13, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by db2797
If you want a car that will turn heads without spending a fortune, black will do definitely do it. A black Mustang, with a nice set of wheels, with staggered tires, and a nice pinstripe over the hood, and you'll get a lot of attention. I have 2 11 Mustangs. A red one and a black one and my red one has a significant number of external mods, but it seems like my simpler black Mustang with exactly what I've described above gathers way more attention.
Often times with styling, less, but well done, is better than more, overdone, for good styling is ultimately a qualitative endeavor, not a quantitative one measured by parts count and size. I think your experience with your two Mustangs bears this out. The Mustang, current and coming, has great basic lines and forms and perhaps the best approach is to tastefully enhance them rather than bury them under a pile of parts.
Old 1/3/14, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My thoughts...

Red is also a classic mustang color. I had a black mustang and will never own black again (dusty within hours of washing, shows all the dirt, and gets very hot in the summer).

V6 or Turbo 4 - The turbo is the issue here that we'll need to watch as the new cars are released. There can be issues with turbos (IE, lag) that can hurt the car's handling. So I couldn't make a call on which will be better (yet).
Old 1/3/14, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr
V6 or Turbo 4 - The turbo is the issue here that we'll need to watch as the new cars are released. There can be issues with turbos (IE, lag) that can hurt the car's handling. So I couldn't make a call on which will be better (yet).
The twin-scroll turbo on the new engine is supposed to be engineered for a more linear torque curve. In fact, I would say the general trend has to remove the "off/on" feel from turbo engines in the past number of years.

However, the proof will be in that dyno graph I hope we see sometime in the near future!