2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ordered my very first Mustang

Old 8/13/14, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered my very first Mustang

In 1979 I got a new Ford Capri as a gift from my Mother to help me out struggling as a single Father of two young boys. After 6,000 miles the irritating noise that had been there got worse. Ford fixed it - the throwout bearing had never been greased and they replaced the part under warranty - not the heavily worn throwout bearing, but simply added grease. I demanded they replace the prematurely worn part, but even the factory rep said - look at your warranty, and I sold the car and vowed never to buy another Ford product - ever!

Fast forward to the depth of the recession when my income dropped from $500,000 a year to zero. I could no longer afford my 09 CTS-V (a downgrade from a New Aston Vantage) and the only dealer that would give me reasonable credit was: Ford. The new Focus had just been announced and I leased a fully loaded one for $450 a month (my credit was that bad). What a surprise when I got the car. It handled great, had more features than the fully loaded CTS-V, and the quality for such a 'cheap' car was amazing, so good I hardly missed the CTS-V! My wife took 3 months to drive every SUV on the market, and she agreed that Ford offered the best quality, features and price with her new Escape. Both had self parking which I thought was a joke, but we went out of our way to parallel park - its extremely cool! Two years ago the lease on my Focus was up.

When I had the CTS-V I test drove a new Camaro. I was not impressed - the Camaro felt bigger than the Cadillac. There is something wrong when a Pony Car feels bigger than a Cadillac. The first thing that came to mind was cheap car. My very first car was a new Camaro in 1969 and I had several over the years.

About 2 years ago my business began recovering and my stellar credit from before the recession was restored and I have most of the recession business debt retired.

A year ago I bought another V8 Vantage (used 09) and ordered the next generation Camaro. When I discovered the next Camaro is not getting smaller, but may actually be bigger, combined with the recent great experiences I had with Ford I started to look at the new Mustang to be my everyday car when I'm not driving the Vantage, and my winter car (any car is a winter car with Blizzaks).

At 61 years old I'm not as 'sharp' as I used to be and the clincher was the lane change warning and adaptive cruise control, both not available (yet) in the Camaro. As a pilot I liked the interior layout and electronics. I ordered a month ago an Orange Eco-Boost with the performance package, grey leather, and all the electronics. I chose the Eco-boost because it has less power than my 420HP Aston Martin, and I did not want to feel less power when I drove the Aston. The dealer convinced me to get the Automatic - I'm going to see if I can change that without delaying production order.

I still have the order on the next gen Camaro as my son is a great Camaro fan. Before the recession we had father-son Porsche 928's - both with Renegade Chevy V8 conversion. His was a 1982 with a 600HP/600TRQ Chevy blower motor with a 671 out of the hood (was published in Car Craft magazine), mine was a full custom with a 450HP Chevy stroker motor. Both 928's we sold at the beginning of the recession to liquidate anything not necessary. We had stupid money thrown at the 928's, and I'm done with putting money into making old cars better or unique.

I'm excited about getting the Mustang as a daily driver. It's the right size and nicely packaged and reasonably priced. I'm hoping the build quality is the same or better than my recent Ford leases. The Chevy dealer told me that a Mustang will never compete with the Camaro - I'm not too sure about that. I'm hoping that the new Mustang kills Camaro sales and maybe GM won't make the next generation after this one larger than a Cadillac.

Does anybody know realistically when special order Mustangs will likely arrive to dealers?
Old 8/13/14, 06:45 AM
GT Member

I'm thinking around mid October now. My order went in on May 20th, and still no VIN or scheduled build yet. They are currently building dealer stock. Once that is established, orders will be made. Expect custom order VIN's to be posted about two weeks into September.

61 and ordering a Mustang? I thought I was the oldest around here at 51. Glad to hear another old fart is getting a new Mustang too! These young whipper snappers these days think these cars are for them! Old guys rule!
I too had a Z-28 with a 6-71 blower at one time in my life. But mine was a '73. ****, I still miss that car. That car taught me how to respect horse power and to treat it like a loaded gun.
Old 8/13/14, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Prefurbia

Does anybody know realistically when special order Mustangs will likely arrive to dealers?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think that the single line in your thread that really pertains to your subject line is.

I could tell you that the 2014 models was anywhere from 60-90 days. Could be longer for the new production mustangs, don't know.
Old 8/13/14, 07:55 AM
GTR Member

It depends if your order was put into the system as Stock or Retail.

I just read on another thread that someone that had a Stock order, had already gotten her VIN and a scheduled build date of 9/22/14.

Retail orders won't start being pulled to build until around 9/9/2014.

I have a Retail order, and even if it were to be pulled right on 9/9, I would not expect to have an estimated build date until late October.
Old 8/13/14, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the schedule info.

I was able to change it from an automatic to a manual today without it being changed in the order of the order. As far as being 61 the cars keep me feeling younger, and I know it won't be too long before I can't drive like I do today. It's nice to know that the Mustang has these safety nannies. Nothing is like driving a car with a 671 blower in front of you. here in Minnesota it's illegal to have anything hanging from the rear view mirror that can block the vision, but a 671 blower that completely blocks vision to the right is perfectly legal!

Vehicles we liquidated:
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my very first Mustang-dsc00265.jpg  
Old 8/13/14, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
I'm thinking around mid October now. My order went in on May 20th, and still no VIN or scheduled build yet. They are currently building dealer stock. Once that is established, orders will be made. Expect custom order VIN's to be posted about two weeks into September.

61 and ordering a Mustang? I thought I was the oldest around here at 51. Glad to hear another old fart is getting a new Mustang too! These young whipper snappers these days think these cars are for them! Old guys rule!
I too had a Z-28 with a 6-71 blower at one time in my life. But mine was a '73. ****, I still miss that car. That car taught me how to respect horse power and to treat it like a loaded gun.
Hey, I have you beat!
I am 55, and ordered a '15 GT with Perf. Pkg., Dark Saddle leather interior...etc., and so on.
Its good to know us older guys still got it!
Old 8/13/14, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was able to change it from an automatic to a manual today without it being changed in the order of the order. As far as being 61 the cars keep me feeling younger, and I know it won't be too long before I can't drive like I do today. It's nice to know that the Mustang has these safety nannies. Nothing is like driving a car with a 671 blower in front of you. here in Minnesota it's illegal to have anything hanging from the rear view mirror that can block the vision, but a 671 blower that completely blocks vision to the right is perfectly legal!

Vehicles we liquidated:
That its a 928 is, well anyway...but having a blower out the hood is cool!
My current DD is an '03 Mustang GT, with a Kenne Bell Supercharger...all under the hood!
Old 8/13/14, 03:01 PM

Dark saddle interior?

How did you order a dark saddle interior? I was told that all I could do is a grey, I'd prefer tan or saddle.
Old 8/13/14, 05:30 PM

I have been thinking hard about sitting down and ordering the 15. What is the deposit and are you getting any discount or is it full retail? My first new car was a 1983 GT I bought at Medford Ford in Metford NJ
Old 8/13/14, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Vehicles we liquidated:
Curious, what do you do for a living?
Old 8/13/14, 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
61 and ordering a Mustang? I thought I was the oldest around here at 51.
Not even close. I was closing in on 73 when I ordered my first ever Mustang and first domestic car in over 40 years. I've had it for over 16 months and 25K miles and I run autocross with it. I'm one of the slowest people out there, but I'm still learning and having a blast.
Old 8/14/14, 08:44 AM

what I do

I do two things, I develop software specific for sustainable land development spanning land planning, engineering, surveying and architecture as well as have a land planning company. We have been in the software business since 1976 and planning since 1968. Needless to say when the home building industry died at the recession, it hit us pretty hard.
Old 8/14/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

I do two things, I develop software specific for sustainable land development spanning land planning, engineering, surveying and architecture as well as have a land planning company. We have been in the software business since 1976 and planning since 1968. Needless to say when the home building industry died at the recession, it hit us pretty hard.
I bet it did! Around here, even the illegal aliens moved back home to find work.
Old 8/14/14, 09:07 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I bet it did! Around here, even the illegal aliens moved back home to find work.
They didn't stay away for long.
Old 8/14/14, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool, thanks for sharing. Good luck with the Mustang.
Old 8/14/14, 02:59 PM

Order process

I put $500 down (these deposits are typically refundable unless you order something really odd). I did not ask for any discount (yet), and will probably lease for 2 years instead of buy. Other than the Aston, I typically get bored with a car after a few years and a lease is easier to walk away from. I also am typically not so much of a negotiator as I refuse to discount in my own business (not fair to those paying retail), and realize others must remain profitable to maintain business, service customers, and grow. Of course I'll ask, but not push. What I won't ever do is pay extra for having the first deliveries.
Old 8/14/14, 07:30 PM

I put $500 down (these deposits are typically refundable unless you order something really odd). I did not ask for any discount (yet), and will probably lease for 2 years instead of buy. Other than the Aston, I typically get bored with a car after a few years and a lease is easier to walk away from. I also am typically not so much of a negotiator as I refuse to discount in my own business (not fair to those paying retail), and realize others must remain profitable to maintain business, service customers, and grow. Of course I'll ask, but not push. What I won't ever do is pay extra for having the first deliveries.

Thanks for your input and info

I'm thinking hard about the 50th annaversery edition but don't want to pay a dealer up charge for it.
Old 8/14/14, 07:47 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your order and your first Mustang! Always loved the 928's and that blower pic was sweet!!!
Old 8/15/14, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am another "old guy" with a Mustang (54)! I have had mine for 14 years and spent waaay too much modifying it over the years. My next Mustang will be a 2015...but it will be at least a year old, which I have found is the best way to buy cars over the years (so you guys take care of those 2015' so I can get a good one)!

My current whip......
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my very first Mustang-improvedpic3-medium-.jpg   Ordered my very first Mustang-100_3092-medium-.jpg   Ordered my very first Mustang-100_3074.jpg  
Old 8/15/14, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you order a dark saddle interior? I was told that all I could do is a grey, I'd prefer tan or saddle.
It depends on your exterior color. Not all interior color options are available with all exterior color options.

What color is your order?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered my very first Mustang