2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

NY Auto show:"Every three years there will be a significant upgrade to our vehicles."

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/11, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Auto show:"Every three years there will be a significant upgrade to our vehicles."

Why did Ford introduce the 2013 Taurus at the 2011 New York International Auto Show? After all, the revised sedan won't go on sale until next spring -- a full year from now. That's practically an eternity in the automotive market.

"It’s product cadence,” explained Ford spokesperson Alan Hall. “We want to keep the momentum going. It’s our commitment to refresh our products on a three-year basis. Every three years there will be a significant upgrade to our vehicles.”

Source: Edmunds Inside Line blog
Seems to add credibility to the rumors that there will be more than just color changes in the 2013 Mustang.
Old 4/21/11, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like our insiders have had sound advice.
Old 4/21/11, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

They do!
Old 4/22/11, 10:41 AM

Wow, is this the same company that essentially let the basic '79 Stang, based on a '77 Fairmont chassis, soldier on for basically a quarter century?

Very impressive indeed from the former "Good enough" company that had an ethos of update and improvement complacency. Now look at them, hard to keep up with the truly substantive upgrades that roll out about every 27 minutes it seems. Couple that with their stated objective, which I take more and more seriously by the day, to shave 250 to 750 pounds off of every new vehicle ... wow!

As for the Mustang, I would assume this to mean more than a typical surface update in '13 but perhaps not quite to the scale of the '10 update -- they are working on the all new '15 model after all and best not to divert too much attention and resources from that. However, with the continuing sales strength of the Camaro, and to a lesser extent the Challenger (and not to forget the Genesis Coupe from the surging Hyundai), Ford can't be nearly so complacent with the Mustang as they typically had in the past when they were essentially the only pony car in the paddock, so a '13 refresh needs to have some genuine depth to it, not just cheap and easy cosmetics.

As for the 2015, by applying the low end 250lb. weight reduction we get a GT coming in at a fairly svelte 3200lbs or so and perhaps the standard Stang nearing the 1.5 ton mark, Fox-era lightness.

Couple that with today's 3.7/5.0 firepower and wow, we will not be wanting for straight line performance. Back of the napkin calculations indicate that each HP will have nearly a less pound of lard to lug around: from about 8.5 down to 7.8 lbs/hp. This of course is presuming but the low end of Ford's stated diet goals, there's nothing to say the Stang might get slimmed down even more.

However, the magic of adding lightness reaps far greater rewards across the performance spectrum and beyond. Handling and braking should significantly improve not even considering the likely return of (a top notch) IRS. The icing on the cake will be better fuel economy and less stinking up of the earth.

Ford getting VERY impressive lately.
Old 4/22/11, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slightly on-off-topic: their cars are holding their value fairly well, even with the frequent changes they've made the last 7 years.
Old 4/22/11, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Wow, is this the same company that essentially let the basic '79 Stang, based on a '77 Fairmont chassis, soldier on for basically a quarter century?

Very impressive indeed from the former "Good enough" company that had an ethos of update and improvement complacency. Now look at them, hard to keep up with the truly substantive upgrades that roll out about every 27 minutes it seems. Couple that with their stated objective, which I take more and more seriously by the day, to shave 250 to 750 pounds off of every new vehicle ... wow!

As for the Mustang, I would assume this to mean more than a typical surface update in '13 but perhaps not quite to the scale of the '10 update -- they are working on the all new '15 model after all and best not to divert too much attention and resources from that. However, with the continuing sales strength of the Camaro, and to a lesser extent the Challenger (and not to forget the Genesis Coupe from the surging Hyundai), Ford can't be nearly so complacent with the Mustang as they typically had in the past when they were essentially the only pony car in the paddock, so a '13 refresh needs to have some genuine depth to it, not just cheap and easy cosmetics.

As for the 2015, by applying the low end 250lb. weight reduction we get a GT coming in at a fairly svelte 3200lbs or so and perhaps the standard Stang nearing the 1.5 ton mark, Fox-era lightness.

Couple that with today's 3.7/5.0 firepower and wow, we will not be wanting for straight line performance. Back of the napkin calculations indicate that each HP will have nearly a less pound of lard to lug around: from about 8.5 down to 7.8 lbs/hp. This of course is presuming but the low end of Ford's stated diet goals, there's nothing to say the Stang might get slimmed down even more.

However, the magic of adding lightness reaps far greater rewards across the performance spectrum and beyond. Handling and braking should significantly improve not even considering the likely return of (a top notch) IRS. The icing on the cake will be better fuel economy and less stinking up of the earth.

A 3100-3200lb GT with a 400-425hp 5.0 would be marvelous indeed. I just hope it looks equally as good.
Old 4/22/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they will cut weight by putting a I4 turbo in there... and making it a smaller car..
Old 4/23/11, 12:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

The Ford Motor Company of today is not the same Ford Motor Company of 5 years ago. It does not surprise me to see Ford more agressive today . Ford knows you must be agressive to survive. I just hope the new Mustang will have a totally new look that will not follow any of the current styling trends. Hopefully, it will be sleak but nice and clean looking. I would like to see some kind of metal grill instead of plastic.
Old 4/23/11, 01:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
they will cut weight by putting a I4 turbo in there... and making it a smaller car..
I don't think the 5.0 is going anywhere...
Old 4/23/11, 08:40 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb

Trim management and retain engineering, magic happens.
Old 4/23/11, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I don't think the 5.0 is going anywhere...
i know, i agree with that, but the Base Model will be lighter.. goal achieved.. then make the GT with the 5.0l.. a bit heavier, but more powerful.
Old 4/23/11, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

Personally, I can see Ford bringing back the SVO...
Old 4/23/11, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be foolish for Ford to not bring back a SVO Mustang with an ecoboost four cylinder engine. Just think of how light they could make an SVO type Mustang that would really make a great track car.
Old 4/24/11, 08:32 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Another SVO would be neat, but it would have some mighty big shoes to fill as it would be filling the gap between the GT and GT500 (its what the Boss does now at least with a nod and a wink from Ford)

Handling woudn't be an issue, but it would have to be a hella strong turbo 4 to fill those shoe, like something in the 400+hp range.
Old 4/24/11, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Another SVO would be neat, but it would have some mighty big shoes to fill as it would be filling the gap between the GT and GT500 (its what the Boss does now at least with a nod and a wink from Ford)

Handling woudn't be an issue, but it would have to be a hella strong turbo 4 to fill those shoe, like something in the 400+hp range.
For some reason, I see the SVO sitting between the base and the GT, not between the GT and GT500. This would put the hp between 300 and 350.
Old 4/24/11, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
For some reason, I see the SVO sitting between the base and the GT, not between the GT and GT500. This would put the hp between 300 and 350.
That's what I was thinking too.
Old 4/26/11, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

I could see the SVO costing as much as a GT, because it will have all the handling & braking goodies on it. HP: 250-300

Although I am a V8 guy and have only owned GT's, I've always wanted an SVO. I thought they looked pretty hot back in the day.

A SVO Vert would be cool too!