2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Mustang GT AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/16, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a manual - it all depends on your taste. Auto's in my opinion are boring - you don't drive the car and you aren't as in control. And besides! The fun thing about my manual is that I can rev the engine under bridges (my car is pretty loud).
Old 1/26/16, 05:30 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ClayP
I have a manual - it all depends on your taste. Auto's in my opinion are boring - you don't drive the car and you aren't as in control. And besides! The fun thing about my manual is that I can rev the engine under bridges (my car is pretty loud).
I've had four manuals and six autos - none of them boring.
Old 1/26/16, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Manual
Old 1/26/16, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
or stick... either way
Old 1/26/16, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious question: will your wife or girlfriend ever have to drive the car? I have a 5-speed manual and my wife won't even try to drive it. I fear that this may one day be a problem, like if I'm laid up sick or injured and the car needs to be moved or serviced, but so far it hasn't mattered.

I say that if you have doubts, get the automatic. But I prefer manual.
Old 1/26/16, 01:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by robjh22
Serious question: will your wife or girlfriend ever have to drive the car? I have a 5-speed manual and my wife won't even try to drive it. I fear that this may one day be a problem, like if I'm laid up sick or injured and the car needs to be moved or serviced, but so far it hasn't mattered.

That's a solid reason to consider, but no reason why she can't learn now before something happens
Old 1/27/16, 04:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TMaloneJr
Hello everyone. Iam purchasing a 2015 Mustang GT very soon. I need to know if i should go with a automatic or a manual...... I know manuals are fun and is the cool thing, but i do alot of traffic driving and never really had a manual car. Also which is faster and which can be modded more?
I read far too many issues people have with the MT82. Constant complaints on tons of mustang forums and mustang FB pages of people having issues with the MT82.

Get the automatic. They are solid and can be driven like a manual when in the mood. Both automatics and manuals can be modded equal. Automatics are typically quicker from a dead stop because they shift perfect every time and never miss a gear unlike humans.

Roll racing manuals have the advantage but not when you just drop the automatic gear down and run it like a manual. Manual owners forget, us auto guys can run like we have manual. I can drop my gear from 6th to 2nd all day long in my automatic just like they can.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/27/16 at 04:40 AM.
Old 1/28/16, 03:31 PM
GT Member

I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper Dallas traffic for more than 3 hours(2012) on the way to a Grand National show in Mustang, OK and I was extremely thankful for my automatic...so was my left leg/foot. When I bought my new 2015 GT I stuck with the automatic and paddle shifters. Use the mode selector to select Sport+ and let the car do everything. It is very, very quick, and the paddles can also allow a lot of fun too. Even with the 3.55 option I get 19mpg in town and 24 on the hwy.
Old 1/29/16, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.... that is incredibly sexist.
It's guys like you that have stuck their feet in their mouths around my sister. And given her the opportunity to drive some really nice and fast cars. They toss her the keys and say, if she can start it, she can drive it... assuming she won't know to press the clutch. Well guess what, her first car was stick (my old car). I made sure both of my sisters could drive stick so they were never "stuck" if they were taken somewhere in a stick shift car.
Old 1/30/16, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The auto's are significantly stronger than the manuals and you also have the paddle shifters should you decide you want to manually shift your car. This is my second new Mustang with an auto and I'll never go back to a manual transmission.

As far them being slow I assure you they're not. My 2011 ran 11.2 @ 122 mph N/A with just a few bolt ons.
Old 1/30/16, 06:17 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
It's guys like you that have stuck their feet in their mouths around my sister. And given her the opportunity to drive some really nice and fast cars. They toss her the keys and say, if she can start it, she can drive it... assuming she won't know to press the clutch. Well guess what, her first car was stick (my old car). I made sure both of my sisters could drive stick so they were never "stuck" if they were taken somewhere in a stick shift car.
I don't see that as sexist at all. He makes a very valid point. While there certainly are both men and women who don't know how to drive a manual, it's been my experience that women are less inclined to do so. Car culture has largely been a male dominated phenomena since the 50's. If you regularly attend shows and cruise nites, or belong to a club, chances are there will be much fewer women who are active participants, and therefore proportionally less overall who prefer to drive a stick. It's just the way it is. No harm, no foul.

If there's a female in the household (or another male for that matter) and they are reluctant or unwilling to learn, why cause a rift in the family or deny yourself owning a Mustang or any other performance oriented car because of transmission choice? And if one's wife/sister/girlfriend is more motivated to drive the car because it's an automatic, then she just might become an enthusiast too.
Old 1/30/16, 08:30 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My wife can drive either. Her Saturn is an auto, and her Miata a 6 speed manual. I chose the auto for the Mustang because if I ever choose to take it to the drag strip, the auto's are more consistent and faster for the average person.
Old 1/30/16, 08:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I prefer a manual but I have no greed for autos. I had this same internal debate when I was purchasing my car. If paddle shifters were available on the automatic in 2012, I might actually be driving an auto. That said, I think manual isn't as bad in bumper to bumper traffic as many people think. My commute was 30 miles and it took 2 1/2 hours each way on a good day. The engine has so much torque and the clutch bites so early that it didn't wear me out. I had an Audi A4 in manual before that and it was very tiring. I guess I'm saying in an incredibly long winded way that I don't think you can lose with either. Just drive them and see which one gives you a bigger smile. I believe that's what these cars are all about.
Old 1/30/16, 11:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
What are you talking about man? Take a fricken chill. He asked if any of our wives or girlfriends drive their cars, not if we LET them drive our cars. I tried to teach my wife. She did great on her first lesson, and had zero desire to go back to it. She just doesn't care enough, even if it means we'll be stuck somewhere if we take the Mustang and I get injured or sick. It doesn't make sense to me, but it's her choice. We tweet go out in the Mustang anymore. We always take her Focus because it's easier with the kid (soon to be kids).
Old 1/30/16, 12:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
What are you talking about man? Take a fricken chill. He asked if any of our wives or girlfriends drive their cars, not if we LET them drive our cars. I tried to teach my wife. She did great on her first lesson, and had zero desire to go back to it. She just doesn't care enough, even if it means we'll be stuck somewhere if we take the Mustang and I get injured or sick. It doesn't make sense to me, but it's her choice. We tweet go out in the Mustang anymore. We always take her Focus because it's easier with the kid (soon to be kids).
Congrats on the future munchkin! I'm assuming this means your wife is pregnant. If not, feel free to ignore this.
Old 1/30/16, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Congrats on the future munchkin! I'm assuming this means your wife is pregnant. If not, feel free to ignore this.
Yes lol, due in March. Liam turns 2 on 2/23, his little brother is due on 3/21. Thanks
Old 1/30/16, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's your only car, get the auto. If it's only a nice weather weekend car & you wanna try to learn driving with a clutch, go for it.

I know a number of people who bought manual transmissions with no previous driving experience. A couple of them returned the car for autos. The others just learned to deal with it.
Old 1/30/16, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
If it's your only car, get the auto. If it's only a nice weather weekend car & you wanna try to learn driving with a clutch, go for it.

I know a number of people who bought manual transmissions with no previous driving experience. A couple of them returned the car for autos. The others just learned to deal with it.
My problem isn't the manual. My problem is having power that I can't enjoy. I need to move.

I'd also like a 3.0-3.5 V8 Mustang with 300hp, 600lb weight reduction, with all the creature comforts of my current car. Like 7/8 version.
Old 2/8/16, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

In it for fun, say on twisty roads? Manual. Commute and some fun with straight line acceleration? Auto.

Engine braking and pulling out of corners already in the right gear is better in a manual.

On the commuting front - if you can train yourself to allow some space between you and the car ahead, you'll do way less shifting in stop and go.

Snow? I've heard autos are better.
Old 2/8/16, 05:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I prefer manual in snow. Can start in any gear I want, and as far as I'm aware none of Ford's auto gearboxes, even those with selectshift, do not allow for that.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL