2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Looking to trade up from 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/17, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Looking to trade up from 2006 GT

Just a heads up, there's a lot thoughts going on in this thread.

I've been completely happy with my 2006 GT. I've now had it for 10 years, and just rolled over 125k miles. I've done a CAI and tune from Brenspeed, and installed Borla Cat-back.

But since I've been happy, I haven't really been keeping up with the current state of the Mustang. I went and test drove a 2016 CS/GT yesterday, and boy, have they added a lot of cool new toys.

In my test drive, I wasn't really aware of the driving modes, so I only kept it in the normal mode. In that mode, I was disappointed with the shifting. I guess I've been used to mine chirping the tires all the way up to 80mph.

I'm guessing a CAI and tune is still worth it? Or can one get by with driving on the other modes to create the firmer shift points?

One thing I was wondering though is, last year I had my transmission rebuilt. I had an issue with it not shifting under heavy acceleration. The RPMs would almost redline before I'd have to let go of the gas. Normal cruising speed would shift a little softer. The transmission place saw no surface issues, then saw no issues with a computer diagnostic. So they had to tear into it. They found the transmission was in really bad shape. Said stuff was so worn, he thought I was spinning my tires everywhere I went. Said he'd never seen anything so bad before, and just assumed I been racing this. Nope, daily driver. I get on it a little more while getting onto the interstate, but other than that, I'm pretty gentle with it.

So that leads me to my next question. Did my tune destroy my transmission? Or was the guy just over exaggerating? I never saw it, and I wouldn't know what to look for anyways.

Back to the 2016 test drive. After driving it, I'd still want to replace the exhaust with a more aggressive note, and I'd like the tire chirping shift points back, but would be concerned with transmission issues if I keep this one 10 years as well.

One other thing I noticed was going from a stop, the car almost seemed to have had the same issue mine has after a long cruise at a constant speed. I think there's a voluntary recall on the fuel pump. That after a long cruise, the pump will hesitate after coming to stop when giving it gas. I noticed that the 2016 may have done that once in my test drive. Anyone have that issue?

Are there any other issues to look for when testing out a used Mustang of this current generation? Things you like, or don't like about it? I know I didn't like the placement of the armrest. Was too far back.