2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Live Axle vs IRS question

Old 7/10/14, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live Axle vs IRS question

Good day all,

I am new to the Mustang, or I should say, I will be new to the Mustang. I was ready to finally get into a 2014 when I realized that there was going to be a complete rebuild and new model in the 2015's.

After looking at them I decided that the way to go would be to wait till the new model came out.

After that was settled in my mind came the doubts and questions that inevitably follow.

Established model in it's last year with all the attendant savings that will come with the clearing of the model, the unknowns of the new model and the growing pains associated the the introduction for the first year or two

To get to the crux of my question.

To those of you that have driven Mustangs with ,as many of the auto magazines describe as, the " dinosaur live axle". Will there be a significant upgrade in the 2015 with the IRS to forgo the savings in the 2014 clearance?

Thanks for any and all comments.
Old 7/10/14, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Unless you drag race, the new suspension should be significantly better. You'll have to weigh the importance of that improvement yourself. I have a 2012 and absolutely love the way the car drives, but I am seriously considering the 2015 and I personally won't miss driving over train tracks and hitting rough road on corners on the 2012.
Old 7/10/14, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you current car is a performance car with IRS you should test drive a 2014 with the live-axle and see if you notice the different.
Old 7/10/14, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The mustang was my first live axle. The first couple of times you hit a bump on a corner is scary but you learn that the car will be fine.

As said the live is much better for drag but the irs is much better for track/open road. For daily driving around town, it's tough to notice the difference.

I have no doubt that the 2015 will handle like a champ and much better than the current model in said applications. However keep in mind that Randy Pobst drove a 2011 Brembo within .01 seconds of the e92 m3 at willow springs, and he was amazed at how the live axle handled.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/24/14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 7/10/14, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
The mustang was my first live axle. The first couple of times you hit a bump on a corner is scary but you learn that the car will be fine.

As said the live is much better for drag but the irs is much better for track/open road. For daily driving around town, it's tough to notice the difference.

I have no doubt that the 2015 will handle like a champ and much better than the current model in said applications. However keep in mind that Randy Pobst drove it within .01 seconds of the e92 m3 at willow springs, and he was amazed at how the live axle handled.
Wait, Randy Pobst drove a 2015 within .01 seconds of an M3 and was amazed at how the live axle handled?
Old 7/10/14, 03:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
Wait, Randy Pobst drove a 2015 within .01 seconds of an M3 and was amazed at how the live axle handled?
Fixed.
Old 7/10/14, 04:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigNickelMustang
Good day all,

I am new to the Mustang, or I should say, I will be new to the Mustang. I was ready to finally get into a 2014 when I realized that there was going to be a complete rebuild and new model in the 2015's.

After looking at them I decided that the way to go would be to wait till the new model came out.

After that was settled in my mind came the doubts and questions that inevitably follow.

Established model in it's last year with all the attendant savings that will come with the clearing of the model, the unknowns of the new model and the growing pains associated the the introduction for the first year or two

To get to the crux of my question.

To those of you that have driven Mustangs with ,as many of the auto magazines describe as, the " dinosaur live axle". Will there be a significant upgrade in the 2015 with the IRS to forgo the savings in the 2014 clearance?

Thanks for any and all comments.
Are you coming from a FWD?
Old 7/10/14, 05:12 PM

Yes...

Current vehicle is a 2012 Santa Fe ..which we will be keeping.

All others in the past have been 4x4's or FWD.

Appreciate all the comments.

drags/race will not be a factor.
Old 7/10/14, 06:36 PM
Banned

For starters, the automotive media is just about the worst source of information for cars. That's because the media is laden with out of touch snot heads who wrongly assume that everyone on the planet looks at cars through the extreme automotive enthusiast lenses that they use. To that end they make condescending remarks about the Mustangs live rear axle when the reality is that for day to day driving you won't notice the difference between the live axle and IRS. If you have intentions of putting your Mustang on a race track every time you drive it then you might find that IRS handles better. Now, how many Mustang owners actually do that? What, .001, maybe .002%? The rest of us drive our Mustangs on regular roads and highways where the car is perfectly capable of delivering a very satisfying and spirited ride. Even with a live axle the current Mustang delivers .92 (V6) and .94 (GT) skid pad numbers in stock configuration. That sort of handling is still far better than your average midsize sedan, SUV or pickup truck that is so common on today's roads. So whether you go with the 2014 or the 2015 the reality is that you're going to have a car that is quicker and handles better than the endless sea of appliances that are common today. Also keep in mind that the current V6 Mustang with the "dinosaur live axle" still turned in better lap times on a road race course than the Scion FR-S, a car that was heavily praised by the automotive media for its handling prowess.

I'm sure that the 2015 with an IRS setup is going to be a good handling car. Personally I avoid first year model cars but I know plenty of people who have bought them and had no problems. Either way, you would end up with a car that you enjoy and one that handles better and runs quicker than most things on the road around you at any given time.
Old 7/10/14, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
For starters, the automotive media is just about the worst source of information for cars. That's because the media is laden with out of touch snot heads who wrongly assume that everyone on the planet looks at cars through the extreme automotive enthusiast lenses that they use. To that end they make condescending remarks about the Mustangs live rear axle when the reality is that for day to day driving you won't notice the difference between the live axle and IRS. If you have intentions of putting your Mustang on a race track every time you drive it then you might find that IRS handles better. Now, how many Mustang owners actually do that? What, .001, maybe .002%? The rest of us drive our Mustangs on regular roads and highways where the car is perfectly capable of delivering a very satisfying and spirited ride. Even with a live axle the current Mustang delivers .92 (V6) and .94 (GT) skid pad numbers in stock configuration. That sort of handling is still far better than your average midsize sedan, SUV or pickup truck that is so common on today's roads. So whether you go with the 2014 or the 2015 the reality is that you're going to have a car that is quicker and handles better than the endless sea of appliances that are common today. Also keep in mind that the current V6 Mustang with the "dinosaur live axle" still turned in better lap times on a road race course than the Scion FR-S, a car that was heavily praised by the automotive media for its handling prowess. I'm sure that the 2015 with an IRS setup is going to be a good handling car. Personally I avoid first year model cars but I know plenty of people who have bought them and had no problems. Either way, you would end up with a car that you enjoy and one that handles better and runs quicker than most things on the road around you at any given time.
well said. Everyone assumes live axle is the worst thing. The boss 302 with a live axle slaps the m3 around, isnt that enough proof? I use to have an 07 gt, i got to say my 14 gt is much more planted. I really dont feel that its a live axle. The only problem i see with the mustang is the soft suspension. Thats why i am gonna lower it with new shocks/struts, watts link, etc. I know with that upgrade this car will be a blast on the corners.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 7/10/14 at 07:29 PM.
Old 7/10/14, 08:16 PM

Before I got my 14 GT vert I came out of a 2001 Porsche 911. No question the 911 is a fun car. But, unless you stick it into a curve at 60+ all day, and given how I normally drive, and I believe most people, you will barely/never know the difference between IRS and live axles. The 911 is sophisticated fun. The GT is brute force. I'll take the GT anyday for cruising and playing.

Just tonight I was driving with my grandaughter, 72 degrees, no humidity, top down: perfect. Completely unsolicited she said, "I like the Mustang a lot more than the Porsche. It's more fun and it sounds better." I agree.
Old 7/10/14, 10:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smrbrz
Before I got my 14 GT vert I came out of a 2001 Porsche 911. No question the 911 is a fun car. But, unless you stick it into a curve at 60+ all day, and given how I normally drive, and I believe most people, you will barely/never know the difference between IRS and live axles. The 911 is sophisticated fun. The GT is brute force. I'll take the GT anyday for cruising and playing. Just tonight I was driving with my grandaughter, 72 degrees, no humidity, top down: perfect. Completely unsolicited she said, "I like the Mustang a lot more than the Porsche. It's more fun and it sounds better." I agree.
Now that is awesome :-)
Old 7/10/14, 11:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
When I decided to buy a Mustang I considered waiting for the 2015. Then I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I went in to my dealership to order a 2013 just when Ford cut off orders, so my order on 1/7/2013 was for a 2014. I picked her up on 2/28/2013 and she now has over 24,000 miles on the clock. During those miles I have chased Honda S2000s on California's Hwy 1 and they were shocked that they couldn't get this red thing out of their rear view mirrors. She's been on several road trips, most recently a 4,000 mile 15 day National Parks tour where she delivered 30.6 MPG on regular gas. She's been to several autocross events and I've had a blast. I'm probably one of the slowest guys out there, but it isn't because of the axle. She handles amazingly well and, with her 65 series tires that absorb so much of the crummy road surface, she delivers a wonderfully smooth ride. I have no regrets. I agree that the automotive journalists with their rants about the Mustang solid rear axle are largely full of crap, but then they aren't much different than most other journalists.

You must make your own decisions and live with them, but I would take the cost savings and avoid the possible new model teething problems and smile all the way to the bank. And I assure you, you will smile - from ear to ear.
Old 7/11/14, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with the folks that say drive and decide. I love mustangs but come from driving European cars. I was very nervous about the solid rear axle. One of my best friends took me for a spirited drive in his 2007 gt. I took it over roads I'd driven in my a4 and it felt amazing. It's harder to drive because of the power and weight but it's so much fun. I bought a 12 gt and couldn't be happier. I also agree to avoid first model years of a major change. My pops worked his way through college as a mechanic and that was his number one rule on car hunting. Good luck with your choice.
Old 7/11/14, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the things that has bugged me since I bought my 2014 GT, is all the live rear axle hate! Mostly from un informed individuals! I've driven irs rwd cars that didn't handle half as good as my Mustang with Koni yellows and Steeda sport springs! My last car was an irs, had a fully track tuned coilover suspension set up that was so stiff you could run over a quarter and tell if it was heads or tails! If you jacked up the front driver side, the rear driver side would lift at the same time! "Made tire rotation a breez", It was more harsh than my live rear today just due to suspension tuning. The fact is that Ford did such an amazing job with the 2011 to 2014's live rear axle that it's literally the most advanced live rear ever! and will be tuff to beat by any irs! But if your even a little worried about it then just get the 2015! I'm sure that will be an awsome Mustang as well!
Old 7/11/14, 01:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
One of the things that has bugged me since I bought my 2014 GT, is all the live rear axle hate! Mostly from un informed individuals! I've driven irs rwd cars that didn't handle half as good as my Mustang with Koni yellows and Steeda sport springs! My last car was an irs, had a fully track tuned coilover suspension set up that was so stiff you could run over a quarter and tell if it was heads or tails! If you jacked up the front driver side, the rear driver side would lift at the same time! "Made tire rotation a breez", It was more harsh than my live rear today just due to suspension tuning. The fact is that Ford did such an amazing job with the 2011 to 2014's live rear axle that it's literally the most advanced live rear ever! and will be tuff to beat by any irs! But if your even a little worried about it then just get the 2015! I'm sure that will be an awsome Mustang as well!
I agree. I don't own a 2014 but on my test drive I was suprized. The saleswomen that drove the car off the lot was a really good driver supriziling :-) once off the lot she took a couple corners and high speeds and I was amazed at how well the 2014 GT handeled! Which has me all the more excited to drive the 2015!
Old 7/11/14, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had my "live axle" v6 for 9 months now. I have yet to experience "wheel hop". I am not babying this car by any means, nor are the roads I drive on free of "irregularities".

Pick your car based on price/features, and the all-important "HOW COOL DOES IT LOOK"!
Old 7/11/14, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses and comments.

Leaning towards the 2014 with a lot more confidence.

Thanks again!
Old 7/11/14, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd rather have a live axle RWD Mustang than a FWD car any day. I have a Mini as a daily driver, and it sticks like glue, but oh how I wish it were RWD - like God intended. :-)

That said, there is one scenario where FWD is better than RWD, and that's driving in snow. You can get by with a FWD and all-season tires, but a RWD with all-seasons is challenging.

There's a reason that almost every race car (other than AWD rally cars) are RWD.
Old 7/11/14, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as avoiding first-year models, that was really a thing of the past. Seriously. Everything has changed. Cars don't need to be broken in any more, at least not like in the old days. Tolerances are so much tighter than before. Cars are just made better, period.

I bought the first-year 2005, and have had ZERO issues with it in 9+ years. It's never been back to the dealer. No recalls, no warranty problems, no issues. And this is a car that has been a daily driver until I got the Mini last year, and has been to HPDE track day events 7 times now.

This first year car is definitely the most reliable car I ever owned in my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Live Axle vs IRS question