2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Less is More on Future Stang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/10, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about something the size of a foxbody (or close to it) and still retain the 3.7, 5.0, and 5.4...if the 5.4 can still wedge in there and if it'll still have Mustang/SVT duty by then.
Old 4/23/10, 09:20 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The Fox was a great car from a packaging standpoint, but terrible for reproducing the classic Mstang look. I doubt we'll see something along those lines for a long time, nor see a Mustang that light again without the use of some very exotic materials (simply because safety regs wouldn't allow it using conventional materials. The fox body's light weight comes with a hefty price tag in that regard).
Old 4/23/10, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Just scale the S197 down by about 2%. That's about the size of the original '65-'66 and the fox bodies.
Old 4/23/10, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Agreed. I think 18" rims are plenty big.
Agreed. If you have a smaller car, you don't need such a huge wheel to look cool.
Old 4/25/10, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Its nice to hear they want to reduce the weight on the next Mustang. I hope they make the Mustang more aerodynamic, this would help increase MPH. It doesn't have to be retro IMO.

I can see the engines being the 3.7 V6 DI, 5.0 V8 DI, SC 5.0 V8 DI. My guess is it will retain a strut front suspension do to cost and weight, but a double A arm would be better for handling. I hope for a multi link rear set up. If the next Mustang chassis is going to be a global one, it will need the more advanced suspension set up to deal with the rough European back roads. Some others have mentioned high strength steel and I agree that will be a key to reducing weight if they want to maintain the Mustangs current size and/or chassis.
Old 4/26/10, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

[QUOTE=FivePointO;5853373]Its nice to hear they want to reduce the weight on the next Mustang. I hope they make the Mustang more aerodynamic, this would help increase MPH. It doesn't have to be retro IMO.

Agree on it not being retro. Ford hit a home run with the design, timing, etc with the 5th generation - but I think it will be a fairly significant change at least as it applies to Mustang changes.
Old 4/26/10, 04:48 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford could also go with aftermarket brands to make their wheels, just like Nissan did with the 370Z and have Rays wheels. Not only is the aftermarket plenty capable of making good looking wheels for these vehicles, but they will also be much lighter than what they are now. Wheel weight can make a huge difference. As some have said making the car a bit smaller can also make a difference. The problem is we want more things in our cars such as navigation, heated seats, more airbags, and these things all add weight. Maybe Ford could make a "Racer" package or something that would just keep it to a single disk, small radio, limited airbags, no navigation/heated/power seats even with a nice wheel package. By slimming down the options that should cut costs, while Ford could charge more for the nice, strong wheels and keep a light weight Mustang at a nice GT price.
Old 4/27/10, 12:32 AM
Cobra Member

I still think it could (and should?) at least be retro-inspired, if not "retro" in the strictest sense. There are some retro design cues that I think Ford should maintain on all future Mustangs to showcase a common design heritage...
Old 4/27/10, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Majority of the wheels are under 25lbs and are either cast or forged aluminum. So I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rims.
Ford needs to reduce weight in other areas!
Old 4/27/10, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Majority of the wheels are under 25lbs and are either cast or forged aluminum. So I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rims.
The SN95 wheels were under 20 lbs. That is a 20 lbs saving on unsprung, rotating mass. That is huge.

I totally agree that cannot be the extent of the weight reduction. Materials such as High tension steel can be used to save weight. Size reduction may not reduce weight at all. I know that sounds insane, but depending on what ford puts into the 14 we may see a size reduction and a weight increase. Hopefully not of course, but it is all too possible.

There are plenty of areas they can trim, but not if demand is for additional content. Adding options adds to the base's infrastructure, so we will have to see what they do.
Old 4/27/10, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 19's are approaching (or exceeding) 30 lbs now. The 17x8 wheels that came stock on my 2001 and 2008 Mustangs were 21.5-22 lbs each. Heck, the 17x9 Enkeis that are on my Bullitt are just under 16 lbs each. IIRC Ford said the biggest factor in the weight increase from the 2009 to 2010 Mustangs was the increase in size of the wheels.
Old 4/28/10, 07:25 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I hope the next Mustang weighs 250-300 pounds less. Retro a little, but not using the Mustang II as a starting point. I had a (new) 1976 Mustang II, it was really a Pinto with a different body. At the time the Mustang II was ok but now when i look back at it............Ford, please don't do a retro off of a Mustang II LOL!!!
Old 4/28/10, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
The 19's are approaching (or exceeding) 30 lbs now. The 17x8 wheels that came stock on my 2001 and 2008 Mustangs were 21.5-22 lbs each. Heck, the 17x9 Enkeis that are on my Bullitt are just under 16 lbs each. IIRC Ford said the biggest factor in the weight increase from the 2009 to 2010 Mustangs was the increase in size of the wheels.
If they shrink the mustang only in height then that will go a long way for using smaller wheels. Personally with the cost of tires these days I would like to see 16's standard and 17's for the GT. the 2010 is 2.5" taller than my '04. Reducing the height (not lowering the suspension) back to 53" could make 16's and 17's look great.

Of course to many buyers bigger is better, so if the camaro offers 20's then the mustang must as well
Old 4/28/10, 07:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Ford keeps making $2B every quarter we can all have our carbon fiber panels and aluminum space frames...so wheels won't matter much!
Old 4/28/10, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
The Fox was a great car from a packaging standpoint, but terrible for reproducing the classic Mstang look. I doubt we'll see something along those lines for a long time, nor see a Mustang that light again without the use of some very exotic materials (simply because safety regs wouldn't allow it using conventional materials. The fox body's light weight comes with a hefty price tag in that regard).
isnt that how the next one is supposed to be? i mean not completely non retro like a foxbody but look very modern like the fxobody did, but have more retro cues than the foxbody did. also, to keep the V8 with its legendary displacement numbers (5.0, 302). if we ever did see a Mustang the size of a foxbody i wonder if it'd be a hatch again...id rather see a hatch than a Camaro size trunk.
Old 4/28/10, 01:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure Ford are still exploring many different options for the next Stang, but I'm confident they are smart enough not to mess with a good thing
Old 4/29/10, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
1.) Depends on the design.
2.) If its Forged or Cast Aluminum. Cast wheels are usually heavier.

I'm a Quality Manager in the OEM Wheel Business. I've seen 17 inch wheels weigh more than 20 inch wheels.
Some wheels are fully machined, while others have a large quantity of asforged material still left on them. A fully machined wheel is lighter, and more expensive.
Old 4/30/10, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

1.) Depends on the design.
2.) If its Forged or Cast Aluminum. Cast wheels are usually heavier.

I'm a Quality Manager in the OEM Wheel Business. I've seen 17 inch wheels weigh more than 20 inch wheels.
Some wheels are fully machined, while others have a large quantity of asforged material still left on them. A fully machined wheel is lighter, and more expensive.
But you'll agree that if you have two rims a 17 and a 19 made the same way, with the same design, the 19 is going to weigh more.
Old 5/1/10, 06:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I still think it could (and should?) at least be retro-inspired, if not "retro" in the strictest sense. There are some retro design cues that I think Ford should maintain on all future Mustangs to showcase a common design heritage...
Hey Guys! Let's be careful what you wish for!!!
Attached Thumbnails Less is More on Future Stang?-1974fordmustang_large.jpg  
Old 5/1/10, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

It's not necessarily the downsizing of the wheel I was thinking about, just using the material more efficiently without jeopardizing the engineering. (so like we're talking millimeters worth of shavings in different areas but that can really add up). Take OZ Rally or BBS... some of their 19"-20" rims weight 20-21lbs. Granted they're expensive... So there would need to be a way to work around it... but a Saving 7-10lbs per wheel is a good gain.

This Car&Driver article is pretty good read on effects of tire/rim size...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 5/1/10 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Link

Quick Reply: Less is More on Future Stang?