2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Just a Rant..

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/15, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a Rant..

I Have 3 ford dealers near me and I know more about the 2015 mustang than they do...and when I asked for a sales brochure, the idiots gave me sales training literature instead! TWICE!!!
Old 1/12/15, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like most dealerships in my experience.
Old 1/12/15, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Same here. Sometimes you just need to find one that comes across honest about their limited knowledge. If your a Stang nut, it's going to be rare to find a salesman that knows as much.
Old 1/12/15, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RIBS
I Have 3 ford dealers near me and I know more about the 2015 mustang than they do...and when I asked for a sales brochure, the idiots gave me sales training literature instead! TWICE!!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with car dealerships. The vast majority of car salesman don't have a clue about cars. You're just a sucker with a checkbook to them. I've heard stories about car salesmen looking under the dash to find the hood release for Jeep Wranglers if that gives you some idea of the mentality that you're up against. Every now and then you'll come across a salesman that knows his or her stuff. Most them don't know and don't care. Most of them won't be a car salesman six months from now because it's a crappy job with long hours, especially when you're just starting out and don't know crap about cars.

With respect to a sales brochure. Many dealerships are getting away from having brochures on hand at the dealership to hand out. They regard it as just another expense in an age when most customers will get on line to learn about their respective products. I think it's ridiculous too because there is just something about having a nice, well put together brochure that you can actually put in a customers hand as opposed to just telling them "go look at it on the Ford website." Human beings like that tactile contact, it's genetic I think.

I've bought a lot of cars in my life and I've only ever come across a handful of salesman that were worth anything. Most of them aren't worth crap and just count on you really wanting the car instead of actually trying to sell it to you.
Old 1/12/15, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7
Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with car dealerships. The vast majority of car salesman don't have a clue about cars. You're just a sucker with a checkbook to them. I've heard stories about car salesmen looking under the dash to find the hood release for Jeep Wranglers if that gives you some idea of the mentality that you're up against. Every now and then you'll come across a salesman that knows his or her stuff. Most them don't know and don't care. Most of them won't be a car salesman six months from now because it's a crappy job with long hours, especially when you're just starting out and don't know crap about cars.

With respect to a sales brochure. Many dealerships are getting away from having brochures on hand at the dealership to hand out. They regard it as just another expense in an age when most customers will get on line to learn about their respective products. I think it's ridiculous too because there is just something about having a nice, well put together brochure that you can actually put in a customers hand as opposed to just telling them "go look at it on the Ford website." Human beings like that tactile contact, it's genetic I think.

I've bought a lot of cars in my life and I've only ever come across a handful of salesman that were worth anything. Most of them aren't worth crap and just count on you really wanting the car instead of actually trying to sell it to you.
Yep. I was having my car serviced about 5 or so years ago and ran into the most knowledgable sales guy ever.

This guy loved Ford trucks and knew them inside and out. Kinda cool to see. He really believed in what he was selling.

Looking for my 20015 GT and the sales crews are a joke.
Old 1/12/15, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by simple06
Yep. I was having my car serviced about 5 or so years ago and ran into the most knowledgable sales guy ever.

This guy loved Ford trucks and knew them inside and out. Kinda cool to see. He really believed in what he was selling.

Looking for my 20015 GT and the sales crews are a joke.
Yep, most of them are a joke. RIBS is lucky that he has 3 dealerships near him. I have one and the next closest is over in the next county about 40 minutes away. The sales staff is a pathetic joke and I don't even bother taking my car there for routine maintenance. Learned that lesson with my last Mustang. The service department is just as much a joke as the sales staff. The only time you'll get a mechanic that actually has two brain cells to rub together is if your car has a serious problem. The guys that handle oil changes and routine maintenance are knuckle dragging, mouth breathers that I would trust to screw in a light bulb.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/12/15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 1/13/15, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have always known more than the salesman when buying a new car or truck. If you don't then you haven't done the research.
Old 1/13/15, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The salesman at the dealer I got mine at didn't think you could get a V6 with a manual trans.
Old 1/13/15, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

When I purchased my '13 GT500 I checked in TN,GA,NC,and AL. I have been buying cars for quite a while and never encountered a worse bunch of ilinformed,uninterested,lying weasel crooks than the Ford dealers.The kings of scum were at King Ford in Murphy,NC.the best was Carl Gregory in Ft Paine,Al.
I am going to order a '15 GT and thnx to X-Plan I hope to have it be a fairly painless experience. I hope.
Old 1/13/15, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
They need to know about the whole line up not just one car like the average customer...... but I'm not sticking up for them lol
Old 1/13/15, 11:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
They need to know about the whole line up not just one car like the average customer...... but I'm not sticking up for them lol
For new cars, how hard is it to learn a few simple things about each one? If that's your entire job, then it should be easily enough done.

Think about, in our jobs we have facts, figures and other things we have to learn and remember day in and day out. The people that stick around a dealership likely are the ones that can at least have a decent conversation. I don't expect them to always know as much as an enthusiast, but they should at least learn what makes each model special and the basic options available.
Old 1/13/15, 12:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
For new cars, how hard is it to learn a few simple things about each one? If that's your entire job, then it should be easily enough done.

Think about, in our jobs we have facts, figures and other things we have to learn and remember day in and day out. The people that stick around a dealership likely are the ones that can at least have a decent conversation. I don't expect them to always know as much as an enthusiast, but they should at least learn what makes each model special and the basic options available.

Product knowledge is the key to successful salesmanship. I'd say more important than personality. Product features/benefits is how you overcome objections. I've worked for companies that had hundreds of items and I learned many if not most of them. And you have to know the competition's products as well.
Plus, if a salesman doesn't know, there's always the "I don't know - but I'll find out." Then find out, show some customer service, close the sale.

(My salesman didn't know crap about Bullitt. He kept asking me what color, interior packages, etc. from the GT full list of choices. rofl! And it was at a Roush/Saleen Dealer so he should have known about SE's.)

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/13/15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 1/13/15, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree with everything you said Charlie and would even add knowledge is at times more important than price (assuming the price is competitive or in the ballpark). I find myself willing to pay a little extra if the salesman and or company is knowledgeable in their products. Kinda like certain companies on this site, some may have pricing that's a few percent lower but others may have more knowledge and guidance. Or like Crutchfield for electronics vs my local Best Buy ha!
Old 1/13/15, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
oh Yea I said I wasn't sticking up for them. Most times when I go the the dealership there's usually 3 or 4 guys standing around talking. If I was a sales man I would take the brochures home at night and learn them for sure
Old 1/13/15, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford has what...20 cars in its line up? Most lots have about half of those actually on the lot itself. I wouldnt think that it would be that hard to learn about the cars you are selling.

I know one of the 'super lots' where i live actually has a guy dedicated to knowing the cars so when you actually buy one he comes by to tell you about all the features. The salemen themselves do not know much about the cars....
Old 1/13/15, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
Ford has what...20 cars in its line up? Most lots have about half of those actually on the lot itself. I wouldnt think that it would be that hard to learn about the cars you are selling. I know one of the 'super lots' where i live actually has a guy dedicated to knowing the cars so when you actually buy one he comes by to tell you about all the features. The salemen themselves do not know much about the cars....
Especially since most the cars have the same features LOL.
Old 1/13/15, 04:37 PM
GT Member

If you want to talk to car experts, take a walk out back to the repair shop and look for somebody with a wrench in his hand. Car salesmen are experts at separating you from your cash. Those few who know anything about their product will often use THIS as a weapon to bs you into signing on the dotted line.
Old 1/13/15, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

My last trip to a Ford dealer was to look at an Escape. So, I get this kid who was very pleasant and he takes me around back to the line of Escapes. Except, they were the line of Edges. I said, this isn't an Escape. He said, yes it is....I said, ummm...no, it is a Ford Edge, the Escapes are over there. Oh, well, I've only been here for 3 weeks, he said.

I'm thinking - jeez buddy, in 3 weeks, you should at least know where each type of new car is on the lot. Oh well, I left and bought the Mustang instead through a different dealer.

Last edited by TheTaminator; 1/13/15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 1/14/15, 02:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I got my Mustang back in June, I asked for a salesman that currently owned a Mustang. I waited a little bit, but my salesman was awesome and knew everything little thing about Mustangs (he owns a Boss 302). When I bought my Accord and CRV a few years back, I did the same thing with Honda. I definitely helps!
Old 1/14/15, 08:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RIBS
Originally Posted by MuddyLX
Same here. Sometimes you just need to find one that comes across honest about their limited knowledge. If your a Stang nut, it's going to be rare to find a salesman that knows as much.
Originally Posted by 3point7
Yep, most of them are a joke. RIBS is lucky that he has 3 dealerships near him. I have one and the next closest is over in the next county about 40 minutes away. The sales staff is a pathetic joke and I don't even bother taking my car there for routine maintenance. Learned that lesson with my last Mustang. The service department is just as much a joke as the sales staff. The only time you'll get a mechanic that actually has two brain cells to rub together is if your car has a serious problem. The guys that handle oil changes and routine maintenance are knuckle dragging, mouth breathers that I would trust to screw in a light bulb.
Originally Posted by GT40 2
The salesman at the dealer I got mine at didn't think you could get a V6 with a manual trans.
Originally Posted by rider
When I purchased my '13 GT500 I checked in TN,GA,NC,and AL. I have been buying cars for quite a while and never encountered a worse bunch of ilinformed,uninterested,lying weasel crooks than the Ford dealers.The kings of scum were at King Ford in Murphy,NC.the best was Carl Gregory in Ft Paine,Al.
I am going to order a '15 GT and thnx to X-Plan I hope to have it be a fairly painless experience. I hope.
Originally Posted by TheTaminator
My last trip to a Ford dealer was to look at an Escape. So, I get this kid who was very pleasant and he takes me around back to the line of Escapes. Except, they were the line of Edges. I said, this isn't an Escape. He said, yes it is....I said, ummm...no, it is a Ford Edge, the Escapes are over there. Oh, well, I've only been here for 3 weeks, he said.

I'm thinking - jeez buddy, in 3 weeks, you should at least know where each type of new car is on the lot. Oh well, I left and bought the Mustang instead through a different dealer.
Hello guys,

As 3point7 mentioned, most dealers no longer carry brochures. Regarding your dealer experiences, I’m happy to get these documented for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha