2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

How to prevent mustang crashes?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/17, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to prevent mustang crashes?

So im getting my new mustang soon and i have been researching more on how these crashes occur. It seems like people are always flooring it when they are turning which leads to a crash.

I have also researched that it is also a good idea to beef up suspension. My question is what do you guys recommend as aftermarket product to beef up suspension and prevent wheel hop?

I ordered a 2017 mustang /w BMR IRS cradle & after market wheels with 20'' staggered 275
Old 4/6/17, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The #1 counter measure to preventing crashes is driver mod (aka high performance driver training/education)

Another common mistake people make other than WOT in turn is WOT straight line with no stability control, and inability to manage yaw. Rear wheels induce yaw while front wheels are kept straight. It takes some skill to successfully counter steer to keep the car straight.

Not sure about wheel hop on 15-17s.
Old 4/6/17, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 4/6/17, 10:54 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
No offense to you personally, but if you have to ask a question like that you are in no way prepared, experienced or capable enough to own and drive a 700 hp car.

If you are hell bent on buying this car, you should immediately be spending some money on performance driving lessons and seat time in fast cars with an instructor on closed courses.
Old 4/6/17, 12:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
[QUOTE=Rather B.Blown;7012189]No offense to you personally, but if you have to ask a question like that you are in no way prepared, experienced or capable enough to own and drive a 700 hp car.

If you are hell bent on buying this car, you should immediately be spending some money on performance driving lessons and seat time in fast cars with an instructor on closed courses.[/QUOTE]
Well said, but not what the OP wants to hear.
He thinks modding the suspension = driving experience !!!
Old 4/6/17, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
[QUOTE=1 Alibi 2;7012197]
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
No offense to you personally, but if you have to ask a question like that you are in no way prepared, experienced or capable enough to own and drive a 700 hp car.

If you are hell bent on buying this car, you should immediately be spending some money on performance driving lessons and seat time in fast cars with an instructor on closed courses.[/QUOTE]
Well said, but not what the OP wants to hear.
He thinks modding the suspension = driving experience !!!
OP may not want to hear it, but they better dang well listen, IMO.
Old 4/7/17, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

If you are hell bent on buying this car, you should immediately be spending some money on performance driving lessons and seat time in fast cars with an instructor on closed courses.
[QUOTE=houtex;7012259]
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2

OP may not want to hear it, but they better dang well listen, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with these cars. They do not crash or loose control by them selves. LOL It is most always the driver.

Unless something breaks it is. Take the others advice and get some training and drive the car in a setting where if you make a mistake it will not hurt you or the car.
Old 4/7/17, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
The problem is,
If everyone took this good advice there would be
no more great mustang crash videos to watch on YouTube!
Old 4/8/17, 12:47 PM
Banned

Here is a good example of what can go wrong when you just floor it in a straight line. Supercharger S550 much like yours.

Old 4/8/17, 06:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I would answer you this way...
Yes - I would expect Mustang drivers to have a greater incidence of self-caused crashes.
This can be expected - given this car's predominately younger male ownership - & the inexperience behind the wheel that many of these owners have.
(Before any of you under 30's get started - ask yourself if you were one of the many who just scraped through on your 2nd driver's test).
The car IS SAFE - no mods needed!!
Old 4/8/17, 07:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Anyone can benefit from professional driver training (beyond the standard get-your-license training). I learned a lot during my time driving a 911 on the track in Atlanta with an instructor. I want to take a more advanced course in the future.
Old 4/9/17, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure why "floor it" is even a thought on these cars. It's called driving it takes finesse, and to face the fact that your throttle is not an on/off switch. Especially, with that kinda of horsepower.
I have an 07 GT, with (if I'm lucky) 325hp with bolt ons. I can spin the tires till I'm blue in the face, or I can drive the car and be every bit faster than a high hp car with a no experience driver.(and I'm going home that night).

The common thread here, is be sensible, and take a driving course if your chasing the high hp dream, in a 4000lb weapon.

Last edited by Mustang dog; 4/9/17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 4/10/17, 03:30 AM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be fair he didn't say he was getting a Roush or Shelby so where do you get the assumption his car will have 700 hp? A stock GT only has 435 hp!
Old 4/10/17, 05:08 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Plastic
To be fair he didn't say he was getting a Roush or Shelby so where do you get the assumption his car will have 700 hp? A stock GT only has 435 hp!
In another thread he is ordering a Roush-equipped Mustang GT with supercharger. I think it is the 727 HP version. Of course even 435 can get you in trouble.

Last edited by SpectreH; 4/10/17 at 05:10 AM.
Old 4/11/17, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Here is a good example of what can go wrong when you just floor it in a straight line. Supercharger S550 much like yours.

Excellent video.

The #1 counter measure to preventing crashes is driver mod (aka high performance driver training/education)

Another common mistake people make other than WOT in turn is WOT straight line with no stability control, and inability to manage yaw. Rear wheels induce yaw while front wheels are kept straight. It takes some skill to successfully counter steer to keep the car straight.

Not sure about wheel hop on 15-17s.
Quick story time, I just got my MGW installed on my 2014. Mostly stock except TracKey, so 400 HP but a little more low end torque than stock. When I went to test out my new shifter (nannies on), I was not expecting to break the tires loose when engaging third, since I could never hit that gear at as high an rpm with the stock shifter. That little wiggle almost put me and my wife into oncoming traffic but I saved it through dumb luck (haven't made it to HPDE yet because $).

We were lucky that we weren't chosen that day. I shudder to think what could have happened with 700 HP.

Since I can't afford HPDE, can someone explain where this yaw comes from?
Old 4/11/17, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to prevent mustang crashes? Don't drive like a tool.
Old 4/11/17, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Watched the video - & I think that might buff out...?
Jokes aside - it sure is something when you feel the rear wheels slipping like on ice!
A bit scary cause you know at any moment - the grip is gonna come from the bone dry road - & its gonna bite back & push you on hard.
Old 4/11/17, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Excellent video.

Quick story time, I just got my MGW installed on my 2014. Mostly stock except TracKey, so 400 HP but a little more low end torque than stock. When I went to test out my new shifter (nannies on), I was not expecting to break the tires loose when engaging third, since I could never hit that gear at as high an rpm with the stock shifter. That little wiggle almost put me and my wife into oncoming traffic but I saved it through dumb luck (haven't made it to HPDE yet because $).

We were lucky that we weren't chosen that day. I shudder to think what could have happened with 700 HP.

Since I can't afford HPDE, can someone explain where this yaw comes from?
Rear wheel skid. Unless they rear wheels spin up (slip) at exactly the same rate which doesn't happen even with limited slip difs, there will be yaw induced. When wheels are slipping at different rates, you have rear wheel torque higher on one side than on the other, which pushes the car towards one side and induces rotation around vertical axis.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/11/17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 4/11/17, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Rear wheel skid. Unless they rear wheels spin up (slip) at exactly the same rate which doesn't happen even with limited slip difs, there will be yaw induced. When wheels are slipping at different rates, you have rear wheel torque higher on one side than on the other, which pushes the car towards one side and induces rotation around vertical axis.
Thanks. Solution is to modulate throttle and/or clutch I assume?
Old 4/11/17, 06:18 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Practice practice practice in a very open safe flat space to learn how your car feels when it loses traction and goes side to side.