2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Exhaust Advice needed on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/17, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Advice needed on purchase

Hey guys… I am looking at a 2015 GT with performance package. Car runs great and sounds like it's had exhaust upgrades in someway shape or form. I'm not an exhaust expert. Can you guys tell from any of the pictures what might have been done?

Last edited by Pirate_5.0; 2/1/17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2/2/17, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks like an homemade xpipe, glasspack and muffler delete axle-back. It does not look like any brand I have seen so far, which let me think that is it homemade. Midpipe is stock. Welding looks good, so if you like the sound (must be very loud, since you don't have a resonator or muffler), just keep it.
Old 2/2/17, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

I'm assuming the catalytic converter's are still on there? Hey are needed in my state-
Old 2/2/17, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

we can't see from the pictures you posted as the cats are closer to the engine and the tranny
Old 2/3/17, 12:13 PM
V6 Member

Kotenukimen-

Thank you a bunch for the info… I do not have extensive exhaust knowledge. Only dealt with adding axle back to my previous 2011 GT.

So my first inclination with the vehicle was even though it drove great, is accident free and has fairly low miles all of the changes underneath the car make me a little uneasy. I am assuming all of the homemade pipes and welding etc. was in an effort to save cost from going a more traditional aftermarket brand type exhaust correct? I'm surprised that someone would want to go that route on a $30,000 car as opposed to just putting the normal X pipe etc.

Should these changes that have been done be significant enough to warrant passing on the vehicle? Other than the exhaust everything else about the vehicle I like - price point included.
Old 2/3/17, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Someone who welds or knows a good welder can make an homemade catback exhaust line for 300-400$ worth of stainless tubing compared to branded catback who goes usually aroung 1000$-1200$, plus installation fee, so it means a grand of dough in your pockets.

Usually you only need Catalytic converter to pass emission test, since its the only part of the exhaust line that cancels toxic fumes, the rest just muffles the sound.

Doesn't mean you can't get a ticket from cops for not having a muffler, technically, I said technically, muffler delete are only for track use.
Old 2/3/17, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

That makes better sense. Doesn't sound like a deal killer. Worst case I could always just have a cat back system installed -
Old 2/4/17, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Exhaust pipe is exhaust pipe. I am of the mindset that I'd rather pay for a complete system because it was engineered to work together and looks better than a hacked up and welded exhaust, but there will be zero difference in the power of the exhaust on that car and the same car with an aftermarket complete cat back. I just prefer to have all the metal look the same and I wanted the unique sound that I got from Solo Performance. There are deals to be had on catbacks. You don't have to pay retail. And don't be afraid to buy used either!

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but personally I would also buy a cat back for it.