2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Anyone planning on buying the 4 cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/14, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Anyone planning on buying the 4 cylinder?

I am looking at might taking a job where the commute is going to be an hour and half away. I would hate to get rid of my 2010 Mustang GT convertible. However, to stay in the Mustang family I would need to get one with a v6 or 4 cylinder. Anyone one else even pondering it? Normally I would laugh at the idea but if I have that commute I will have to sell the GT.

The 2015 looks pretty cool but I migt be able to get a heck of a deal on a 2014 right now.

Edit: If I do not get the job I will be keeping my GT. I love it!

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/13/14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 6/13/14, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Only one I'm considering is the Ecoboost. 305+ hp is plenty for me and the torque from these ecoboost motors is pretty amazing. Between the initial cost of the car and fuel cost and the fact that I'll never track it, 420+ hp is overkill for me. The only thing I worry about is the sound, but if its anything like my ST, it should sound great.
Old 6/13/14, 12:52 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Not planning on buying one, but am intrigued to drive one . . . and hoping for the 2.3 Ecoboost in a Fusion ST (wagon?).
Old 6/13/14, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Go for the 2014. Thats what i did. You can get a deal on the V6 or the GT. Gt Premiums have bigger rebates.
Old 6/13/14, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the Egoboost's numbers might be impressive, I am less impressed by the NVH characteristics of big four bangers:
  1. Sound is generally flat and "blatty," not terribly melodious.
  2. Very rough and coarse when revved, though balance shafts can help a lot here.
  3. Lumpier torque pulses--the power pulses simply aren't pureed as finely and smoothly as a motor with more pistons.
  4. Turbo four economy can be ephemeral in real life. Turbo fours tend to be tuned to deliver well on EPA tests but can get very thirsty when pushed in the real world.

In a car of the Mustang's type, I tend to prefer larger motors with more cylinders. Especially these days where the turbo four is becoming drearily ubiquitous, a six or eight cylinder motor is even more unique and special.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule(s) and the Stang's Egoboost 2.3 might prove to be a far more compelling motor. The Fiat Abarth's little four has a remarkably rich sounding exhaust note for example and the turbo 2.3 in my wife's old 1991 Saab 9000 was very smooth (and fast) with its balance shafts. So, in other words, I'll have to wait and see before passing final judgement.
Old 6/13/14, 01:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm trying to get my mom into one. She has her heart set on a Challenger R/T, but I keep trying to tell her that a big, thirsty V8 isn't the best for just rolling around town. The Ecoboost Stang should give here a bit better economy, while also having decent power.
Old 6/14/14, 08:39 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
Only one I'm considering is the Ecoboost. 305+ hp is plenty for me and the torque from these ecoboost motors is pretty amazing. Between the initial cost of the car and fuel cost and the fact that I'll never track it, 420+ hp is overkill for me. The only thing I worry about is the sound, but if its anything like my ST, it should sound great.
This.. I really like the thought of the Ecostang but when thinking of buying another mustang I always have Borla S on my mind! Sound sound sound! But with the way gas prices are now I try to park my V8 whenever I can and drive my v6. A 2015 ecoboost mustang for under 30 sounds good. But at the same time I tell myself if I get a 4 cylinder turbo why get a two door mustang when there are some many nice 4 cyclinder turbo sedans out there. Decisions
Old 6/14/14, 11:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
But with the way gas prices are now I try to park my V8 whenever I can and drive my v6. A 2015 ecoboost mustang for under 30 sounds good.
I wouldn't get too excited about the alleged fuel savings. I realize the F150 is the V6 EcoBoost, but most owners complain they get less mileage than the 5.0 and post they wish they had stayed with the V8 - which gets really good mileage.

Perhaps the I4 EB will improve compared to the V6 EB but if the HP/lbs is about the same as the F150, I doubt it.

Plus, how many will keep their foot out of it? Torque is addicting.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/14/14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 6/14/14, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I'm trying to get my mom into one. She has her heart set on a Challenger R/T, but I keep trying to tell her that a big, thirsty V8 isn't the best for just rolling around town. The Ecoboost Stang should give here a bit better economy, while also having decent power.
Shame on you. Support your mother Man.
Old 6/14/14, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my plan is to get the turbo. if it is 300HP and 300lbs/torque then im good with that. and if it can do high 5s for the 0-60, i will be happy with that too. i just need to test drive it before i decide
Old 6/14/14, 06:28 PM

Ordered the Turbo....have a F-150 Ecoboost...love power in that truck with absolutely no issues so far.
Old 6/15/14, 04:03 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The EB Mustang will be cool. I can't wait for the car mags to do road and performance test
Old 6/15/14, 05:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
The EB Mustang will be cool. I can't wait for the car mags to do road and performance test
Agreed, and you know it will, especially since the the majority of the world won't get the V6, just the 2.3L EB and 5.0L V8.

I am definitely interested in the EB Mustang, but I will have to wait 2-3 years before jumping out of my 2014, which gives the world plenty of time to have thoroughly tested, flogged, improved upon, and worked out the bugs in the new chassis and engines.
Old 6/15/14, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
While the Egoboost's numbers might be impressive, I am less impressed by the NVH characteristics of big four bangers:
  1. Sound is generally flat and "blatty," not terribly melodious.
  2. Very rough and coarse when revved, though balance shafts can help a lot here.
  3. Lumpier torque pulses--the power pulses simply aren't pureed as finely and smoothly as a motor with more pistons.
  4. Turbo four economy can be ephemeral in real life. Turbo fours tend to be tuned to deliver well on EPA tests but can get very thirsty when pushed in the real world.

In a car of the Mustang's type, I tend to prefer larger motors with more cylinders. Especially these days where the turbo four is becoming drearily ubiquitous, a six or eight cylinder motor is even more unique and special.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule(s) and the Stang's Egoboost 2.3 might prove to be a far more compelling motor. The Fiat Abarth's little four has a remarkably rich sounding exhaust note for example and the turbo 2.3 in my wife's old 1991 Saab 9000 was very smooth (and fast) with its balance shafts. So, in other words, I'll have to wait and see before passing final judgement.
Definitely agree with everything you're saying. The engine on my wife's Mazdaspeed3 is actually pretty smooth and torqy but fuel econ for the turbo 4 cyl is pretty much equivalent to the V6 mustang. 25 in my commute (mixed driving) and maybe 29-30 on the highway. My Focus SE (NA 4 banger) by comparison does 30mpg and 35-40 in the same conditions.

Here are some other thoughts: how long before the gas milage advantage overcomes the added expense of a new car loan (plus new car service costs)? 1.5 hrs is a long commute so that does help. My Focus saves me $100/month in fuel but thats only half the monthly payment (I bought it used). I knew that going in but bought it mainly to keep the miles off my GT so it wasn't about economics.

The other thing I noticed even when driving the Mazda... once your gone V8 its hard to settle for anything less. The 3's power to weight ratio isn't much lower than my GT, and it has nearly comprable acceleration at low to moderate speeds but it doesn't have that fat torque curve and doesn't lay down the power the same way. It doesn't have that V8 rumble or roar. It actually sounds incredibly bland just like rhumb says...even the FoFo sounds better. Long story short-- I find myself missing-- no-- craving to drive my GT by the end of the week. Even though that Mazda's smoother, has a much easier clutch, more comfortable, has a comparable sound system and acceleration its no replacement. Oh...and I only have a tuned 4.6 (289 rwhp)
Old 6/15/14, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I used to be into auto cross and would like to get back into it. So here is the question, would the V6 with the independent rear be better or the one with the 4 Cylinder Turbo?
Old 6/15/14, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I used to be into auto cross and would like to get back into it. So here is the question, would the V6 with the independent rear be better or the one with the 4 Cylinder Turbo?
I would think the EB would be better on autocross tracks. Lighter front end and flatter torque curve to accelerate out of turns, but I know pretty nothing about autocross racing.
Old 6/15/14, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I wonder if the new 6 cylinder will actually be detuned, or if they're just saying it to promote ecoboost sales...the ecoboost should still make more power then the current V6 offering, but not by a whole lot.
Old 6/15/14, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
My first thought would be whichever one has more torque available at the low end to pull you out of turns. I would test drive them both
Old 6/16/14, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought the same thing when I heard the HP numbers. Do we have toque numbers for the 2015 engines yet?

After driving my GT this weekend with the top down and on the way into work this morning I am not sure I can give up the V8 sound, even though I will probably be paying a car payment worth of gas every month.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I wonder if the new 6 cylinder will actually be detuned, or if they're just saying it to promote ecoboost sales...the ecoboost should still make more power then the current V6 offering, but not by a whole lot.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/16/14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 6/16/14, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I thought the same thing when I heard the HP numbers. Do we have toque numbers for the 2015 engines yet?

After driving my GT this weekend with the top down and on the way into work this morning I am not sure I can give up the V8 sound, even though I will probably be paying a car payment worth of gas every month.
We technically don't have HP numbers yet. But the "at least" numbers that have been thrown about have the EB having a lot more peak torque than the V6.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning on buying the 4 cylinder?