2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

4 door Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/12, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no here we go again.. 4 Door Mustang??

Talk of the Mustang platform in 2015 to be the same as the Aussie falcon??

http://www.stangtv.com/news/mustang-...tang-possible/
Old 7/18/12, 02:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
Talk of the Mustang platform in 2015 to be the same as the Aussie falcon??

http://www.stangtv.com/news/mustang-...tang-possible/
Old article is old
Old 7/18/12, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
Old article is old

actually meant to put in this link..

http://www.stangtv.com/news/2015-mus...aussie-falcon/
Old 7/18/12, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither article says that there is even a possibility of Ford making a four-door Mustang. They're just speculating on Ford using the next-gen Mustang chassis as the platform for other rear wheel drive cars, such as the Falcon. I would be surprised if Ford didn't use variations of the chassis for a few different cars.
Old 7/18/12, 11:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Whilst that article is from October 2010, it still makes sense for Ford to want to leverage as much as they can from the S550 platform. Economies of scale would mean this is good for Mustang......and if it means more RWD Fords and Lincolns, all the better
Old 7/19/12, 12:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid
Old article is old
Old 7/19/12, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RandyW
Neither article says that there is even a possibility of Ford making a four-door Mustang. They're just speculating on Ford using the next-gen Mustang chassis as the platform for other rear wheel drive cars, such as the Falcon. I would be surprised if Ford didn't use variations of the chassis for a few different cars.
Correct, this. Exceedingly unlikely that Ford would again use a bespoke, Mustang-only platform, a more expensive way to go than a shared platform, which would then necessity penny-pinching measures such as a yestertech live axle or something equally silly.
Old 7/19/12, 05:17 PM
GT Member

With GM's upcoming SS, a Ford sedan based on the Mustang would be good to see. I'm sure there are a lot of Ford fans and Mustang owners who would like to own a RWD sedan from the company.

Lincoln is a joke these days and really needs a legitimate luxury performance sedan and coupe to compete with Cadillac, the Germans, and the Japanese. A sedan and coupe based on the Mustang platform would be perfect. I'm guessing Ford is considering doing all of these things, but I hope they actually do.
Old 7/19/12, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess im missing something but what talk about a four door Mustang? They're pretty much talking about the chassis of the upcoming mustang being used for a four door car that wont have the name Mustang on it correct?
Old 7/19/12, 11:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rodriguez256
I guess im missing something but what talk about a four door Mustang? They're pretty much talking about the chassis of the upcoming mustang being used for a four door car that wont have the name Mustang on it correct?

The title of the article in the link:

Mustang, Falcon Could Share Platform: Four-Door Mustang Possible?

But that's purely to grab headlines. Any four-door based on the next-gen Mustang will NOT be badged as a pony.

Old 7/20/12, 07:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
The title of the article in the link:

Mustang, Falcon Could Share Platform: Four-Door Mustang Possible?

But that's purely to grab headlines. Any four-door based on the next-gen Mustang will NOT be badged as a pony.

Ford may use the platform for a Lincoln RWD sedan
Old 7/28/12, 02:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
With the Taurus in the stable and the SHO being the top performance sedan in the line-up, I dont think we will be seeing anything Mustang based and four door from Ford (a pity since I really liked the G8 and kinda like the Charger).

Sigh... if only there was a huge market for a resonably sized RWD V8 powered station wagon with a nice taut chassis. I'd be all over that as a DD.

Yeah... a wagon version of a GT500 - a guy can dream can't he
Old 7/29/12, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't see the sho as being a real charger or g8 competitor...
Old 7/29/12, 06:55 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
GM is coming out with the SS ( I dont know if thats what it will eventually be called, I've heard Chevelle more than a few times being bandied about) but IMO the 4dr performance sedan segment loos to be even tighter that the 2nd performance coupe segment.

I cant see Ford possibly cannibalizing sales of the SHO by offering a RWD performance sedan based off of the Mustang (or even a dedicated full size platform).

The SHO might not be a direct Charger or upcoming SS competitor but I'm pretty sure if you could get some marketing material I bet the Charger pops up as a competitor in the documentation.

Wish they would scrap the Taurus and the SHO and replace it with a killer full size RWD platform that could tuck atleast the coyote in there.
Old 7/30/12, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree that it doesn't make financial sense, truthfully I wouldn't want a rwd sedan because I live in the snowbelt but most offer awd as an option. I think the SS/charger compete with European sedans while the sho competes with Japanese luxury cars. I actually considered buying a used sho but the interior is small for the size of the car. I wish the 3.5 ecoboost was on the fusion.
Old 7/30/12, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I agree. I've driven the SHO and while it's a nice car for what it is, I could tell right away that it's a FWD-based turbo six, not a RWD V8. For enthusiasts, the SHO is not going to be a serious competitor to either the Charger R/T or SRT or the upcoming SS, which are legitimate full-size sport sedans. I think people see the SHO as "the cool Taurus" like the Fusion Sport is "the cool Fusion", meaning it's the best and most performance-oriented trim of the model, but isn't an actual performance sedan.

A mid-sized Mustang-based Ford sport sedan would have a base price higher than a Fusion Platinum and a loaded price higher than the SHO. Few people would cross-shop any of these cars with one another. As it is now, neither Ford nor Lincoln has anything to offer the enthusiast other than the Mustang. Although the Charger R/T or SRT may come up as a competitor to the SHO, it's really not. I see the Maxima as a the SHO's competitor, not the Charger.

Last edited by justindo; 7/30/12 at 10:43 AM.
Old 7/30/12, 01:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by justindo

I agree. I've driven the SHO and while it's a nice car for what it is, I could tell right away that it's a FWD-based turbo six, not a RWD V8. For enthusiasts, the SHO is not going to be a serious competitor to either the Charger R/T or SRT or the upcoming SS, which are legitimate full-size sport sedans. I think people see the SHO as "the cool Taurus" like the Fusion Sport is "the cool Fusion", meaning it's the best and most performance-oriented trim of the model, but isn't an actual performance sedan.

A mid-sized Mustang-based Ford sport sedan would have a base price higher than a Fusion Platinum and a loaded price higher than the SHO. Few people would cross-shop any of these cars with one another. As it is now, neither Ford nor Lincoln has anything to offer the enthusiast other than the Mustang. Although the Charger R/T or SRT may come up as a competitor to the SHO, it's really not. I see the Maxima as a the SHO's competitor, not the Charger.
That's exactly what I meant the sho is more in line with a maxima lexus es or Acura tl it's closest American competition is probably the new Buick mid size forget the name though
Old 7/30/12, 02:19 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2013 SHO w/Performance Package seems like a quite capable performance sedan . . . .

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...rmance-package

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 7/30/12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 7/31/12, 11:55 AM

I think the SHO ought to be based off of the smaller, lighter and more agile Fusion platform while the top dog Ford, and/or Lincoln, performance sedan ought to be a RWD platform presumably derived from the upcoming Stang. This would be especially true for a Lincoln sedan.

While Ford may be able to get away with a FWD/AWD platform for its more general market top sedan, Lincoln needs to set its standards much higher which, apologies to Audi, demands a RWD platform to help distinguish it and establish its upmarket bona fides.
Old 8/1/12, 08:20 AM
GT Member

S550 won't have four doors. End of story.

Quick Reply: 4 door Mustang?