Old 1/17/17, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
cool comparison vid!
Old 1/17/17, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
cool comparison vid!
so it is official. Too bad, they didn't fix the ugly. Put it back in the oven, it's not done yet!
Old 1/17/17, 06:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The more I see of it in non-yellow form, the more I like it.
Old 1/17/17, 08:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I'm starting to actually really like it already, it looks so much better in some pictures than others.

Found these where it looks awesome.
I think it looks like an Aston Martin or a Jaguar in this one:

And another awesome shot:

And even in the new Orange Fury color, some angles it looks better in, than others.
Like this one, I like it:

So, the V6 is gone and the 2.3 EcoBoost and the 5.0 are getting power boosts.
Can't wait to find out how much more power the new 5.0 will be putting out.
Port- and direct-injection, and 12:1 compression.
I really hope they'll shock people and have it put out something like 475 HP and at least 430 ft-lbs of torque

Old 1/17/17, 08:10 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
I'm starting to actually really like it already, it looks so much better in some pictures than others.

Found these where it looks awesome.
I think it looks like an Aston Martin or a Jaguar in this one:

And another awesome shot:

And even in the new Orange Fury color, some angles it looks better in, than others.
Like this one, I like it:

So, the V6 is gone and the 2.3 EcoBoost and the 5.0 are getting power boosts.
Can't wait to find out how much more power the new 5.0 will be putting out.
Port- and direct-injection, and 12:1 compression.
I really hope they'll shock people and have it put out something like 475 HP and at least 430 ft-lbs of torque

It definitely looks hot in that pic. I think the orange fury rolling footage was probably the worst color and environment for the front end. I think they completely fixed all the problems I had with the car styling. I totally dig it. Want to see it in black though.
Old 1/17/17, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It's the triangular crud going on on the bottom half I'm not digging at all.

The rest of it? I am good with. Like the new hood, the new lower grille, and although I was a little skeptical about the tail light change, I dig those.

Just... I really don't get the busy-ness of that lower fascia at all. I mean, I get *why*, but it looks... afterthought-y.
Old 1/17/17, 09:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
It's growing on me too. I can see some areas on the front bumper where some choice black vinyl would take care of the weird spots. I would black out that whole lower front piece and some triangular black pieces inside the brake ducts.

But, still no Glass Roof, so still no deal for me. Interior is cool, but I almost don't like the all digital cluster. I can almost guarantee the S650 will be the last Mustang as we know it.
Old 1/18/17, 04:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Alright, now that I see the new pics, it's not so bad. Does it remind anyone else off the new Fiat 124?
Old 1/18/17, 04:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The rolling footage was terrible, saw it again in performance white, and thought it looked great!
Old 1/18/17, 05:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

This is the shot where I went from liking it, to loving it!

Old 1/18/17, 09:48 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It looks great. When people see the right color in person almost everyone will be on board. I know it.
Old 1/18/17, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah these things are going to roll off the lots.
Another year beating the Camaro guaranteed.
It's a change and nobody likes change around here but it's a well done car.
If you read this thread from the begging it's actually funny how quickly the same people went from bashing to loving it and it hasn't even been seen in it's true beauty yet. It's a winner, hate all you want.
Old 1/18/17, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Saw this photoshopped pic on M6G. This is almost exactly what I would have done with the lower front end. They need to add some kind of detailing to those lower triangle openings - maybe in a gloss gray plastic. Then, do the lower center section in the same gray. There's too much body color going on and not enough detailing. And, I really think they should have gone with a different upper grille. Still, aftermarket will take care of all of those things. The guy who did the photoshop also tinted the amber turn signals.
Old 1/18/17, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Depending on how the job situation goes, I could see myself picking one up in a couple years. Auto/PP and kit it out with all the luxury stuff. Keep my 2014 as the last of the raw, analog Mustangs, then have the new one as the American version of the European style GT coupe.
Old 1/18/17, 05:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I think those are the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. The sidewalls appear to have the velvet type lettering that the new tires are supposed to have (like the Pilot Sport Cup 2s do).
They are the MPS4S(es) {- wouldn't that be the plural form?} which is great, glad Ford went with Michelin for the update.

Depending on how the job situation goes, I could see myself picking one up in a couple years. Auto/PP and kit it out with all the luxury stuff. Keep my 2014 as the last of the raw, analog Mustangs, then have the new one as the American version of the European style GT coupe.
I dunno, the last analog Mustangs to me were the SN95/New Edge cars. The drive-by-wire system introduced with the S-197 made a distinct difference in the way the cars felt.

My buddy's Terminator had an immediacy that the GT500 when I owned it just didn't have and the GT500 would gobble that Terminator up like soft serve ice cream on a hot day from a dig and a roll every time.

I always credited that to the fact that the Terminator still had a throttle cable and not a drive-by-wire system.

Last edited by bob; 1/18/17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 1/18/17, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
They are the MPS4S(es) {- wouldn't that be the plural form?} which is great, glad Ford went with Michelin for the update.I dunno, the last analog Mustangs to me were the SN95/New Edge cars. The drive-by-wire system introduced with the S-197 made a distinct difference in the way the cars felt.

My buddy's Terminator had an immediacy that the GT500 when I owned it just didn't have and the GT500 would gobble that Terminator up like soft serve ice cream on a hot day from a dig and a roll every time.

I always credited that to the fact that the Terminator still had a throttle cable and not a drive-by-wire system.
I suppose your second sentiment is true to a sense. I sold my 03 GT with T56, IRS and full Maximum Motorsports Grip Box, to purchase my 2014 GT. With the MGW X Spec, long tubes and full BMR suspension, my current car is pretty close to the raw feeling of my last one, albeit more refined in the interior. Having ridden in and driven a couple S550s (GT and GT350), I'd say they are that much more isolated and soft when compared to my car.
Old 1/18/17, 05:52 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Anyways...

I'm waiting for the deep dive on the engine. I've watched two videos and in the first one of the engineers indicated that they were using a spray bore block which to me indicates that it is the 5.2 block or a variation there of with the big bore from the 5.2 (essentially a destroked 5.2 sitting at 5 liters) with either updated Coyote cylinder heads or perhaps an as cast version of the Voodoo's heads updated for the hybrid fuel injection.

I'm also wondering if the transmission is an updated MT82 or a Tremec. The Tremec in the GT350 is a single overdrive unit but it would be nice to have the Tremec back in the Mustang. That said when the same video talked about updating the clutch to a double disc unit I new there would be a nice increase in torque since that is what the GT350 uses and as everybody knows that's rated at 429 pound feet.

They are probably still nailing down the engine calibration since specs wont fully materialize until fall but I've said elsewhere that 450/430 doesn't seem unreasonable however given the added weight the Mustang has to carry the engine would need 475 or more horsepower. If Ford is serious about kicking Chevrolet's *** and making Al Oppenheiser eat crow a second time (Oppenheiser said at the beginning of 2016 that the 6th gen would beat the S550 in sales) they could conceivably bring more to the table.

The engine in the 2018 features a half point better compression that GM's best right now and there is conceivably more power with the port injection as the engine revs past the mid-range and into higher RPM due to releasing fuel father up stream and the latent cooling effect it has on the incoming charge before it enters the chamber compared to straight DI however minor it might be.

I suspect the DI/PI injection is mostly for durability and emissions since direct injection requires serious treatment of the gases pulled from the crank case and direct injection like diesel has soot issues that are hard to handle outside of an after treatment of the exhaust.

Also a side benefit of that hybrid system is the possible elimination of the manifold runner control valves (if that's the nomenclature Ford is still using I'm too lazy and don't care to look it up) since the direct injection part solves the issues with having to introduce tumble into the air stream to help keep fuel suspended at lower RPM which again aids in airflow in addition to what the big bore block brings.

In another video with a Ford rep the guy sorta hinted that having bought a GT350 and seeing what Ford is bring to the table in 2018 would **** them off.

Personally I don't see it that way. I'm glad a lot of trickle down engineering is showing up in the GT from the engine to the suspension. Really fantastic stuff.
Old 1/18/17, 06:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Having ridden in and driven a couple S550s (GT and GT350), I'd say they are that much more isolated and soft when compared to my car.
They are for the most part since the new chassis is able to keep the tires better planted as well as the better NVH characteristics. Its a similar case going from the Fox and SN95/New Edge cars to the S-197.

A lot of people liked the older chassis since it felt more raw and gave the impression that the older car was more lively and quick on its feet. Where the S-197 felt more refined and softer but out performed the older cars in every metric.

Same with the S550. Its become more refined and even though it has higher limits (apples to apples when it comes to suspension tuning - ie; sporty ride to sporty ride or comfortable ride to comfortable ride) its more accessible and controlled lending it an isolated feel.

Of course that means you just have to drive harder!
Old 1/18/17, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I love the new look. My first immediate thought when I saw it in a motor trend email yesterday was "eww wtf!?" Lol. But it quickly grew on me.

The mechanical improvements from the engine to the clutch to the active exhaust and shocks. That's obviously awesome. The rear, which I didn't think could get better looks great (actually makes the 15-17 rear look bland). And the front is odd but something about it I really like.

As others have said, color makes a big difference. But in the right one, the hood and even headlights look awesome.

Then you of course get the great s550 interior plus the new gauge screen.

My only issue is, and this is probably just me. But I miss the prominent fog lights. That look of when an 05-14 GT is behind you is like none other. Especially if it's a 13-14 wth the LED's.

The 15+ lose that differentiation not only in the aggressiveness of how it looks behind you. But it drives me nuts that the only way to tell if it's a GT from the front is if you're close enough to see the "fangs" on the grill and/or the hood vents.

I'm glad the V6 is gone. But I wish there was a bigger visual difference between the GT and Ecoboost.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/18/17 at 08:13 PM.
Old 1/18/17, 08:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

First thing my dad said when I sent him the pics was "no more round fog lights???"