2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/15, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?

Hello all:
Anyone know what the changes will be between the 2015 and 2016 Mustang GT Premium?
I have a 2015 ordered but it won't arrive until July 30th ... Just wondering if it would be worth the difference between the 2 years to wait for the 15s.
My Ford dealer has no idea.

Thanks.

Gary
Old 6/21/15, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A small, cool change I know is that they are putting blinkers in the small vents on the hood like Mustangs from the 60s.
Old 6/21/15, 05:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that's cool... but thought it was only on a California Special.
Old 6/21/15, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?

Originally Posted by wannabe
I agree that's cool... but thought it was only on a California Special.
I thought the same but it's for every gt.
Old 6/21/15, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sync 3 instead of the current Sync 2. Option for over the roof stripes.
Old 6/21/15, 09:42 AM

I found this................

Home / News / Ford / Mustang / 2016 Ford Mustang: Updates Include Nostalgic Appearance Packages - Official Photos and Info
2016 Ford Mustang: Updates Include Nostalgic Appearance Packages
2016 Ford Mustang: Updates Include Nostalgic Appearance Packages
Ford looks to the 1960s for inspiration on new-for-2016 Mustang trim options.

May 2015 By ROBERT SOROKANICH
5168 SHARES
221 TWEETS
OFFICIAL PHOTOS AND INFO
The new-generation Ford Mustang already packs retro-tinged styling, but Ford is turning up the nostalgia another notch for 2016 with two new appearance packages and a throwback to the 1967 Mustang’s hood-vent turn signals.

Dedicated Mustang fans will remember the turn-signal repeaters tucked in the hood vents of the second-generation 1967–68 pony car. Apparently, Mustang loyalists have been clamoring for the return of this nifty gimmick and Ford delivered: Every 2016 Mustang GT will feature LED turn-signal repeaters recessed under the lip of the hood vents. Is it particularly functional? Nah, probably not—but it’s the kind of throwback nod that Ford loves to make for its devoted following.

The 2016 model year also marks the return of two trim packages that originated in the Mustang’s 1960s heyday: the California Special and Pony packages.

Available on the Mustang GT Premium, the California Special adds 19-inch, black-painted machined-aluminum wheels; hood and side stripes; a black pedestal spoiler out back; darkened taillight trim; and black-painted mirrors and hood vents. There’s also a unique “gas cap” badge (that hasn’t served as an actual fuel filler since it first reappeared on the SN95 Mustang) on the rear panel. Inside, the CS features black leather and microsuede upholstery with red contrast stitching, and the door-panel inserts, dashboard plaque, and strut-tower brace also get California Special branding.

Ford will also offer GT fastback and convertible buyers the option of a Black Accent package with a decklid spoiler, taillight trim, special 19-inch wheels, and 5.0 and pony badges all rendered in black. Hence the name.

For those who prefer their horses turbocharged, the 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium can be had with a new Pony pack. The appearance kit includes unique 19-inch polished wheels, a tri-bar grille, side stripes, and chrome trim around the windows. Also for 2016, EcoBoost and GT buyers can option their hardtop cars with either a black-painted roof or factory-painted over-the-top racing stripes in black or silver. (The stripes were previously available on V-6 Mustangs, but Ford tells us the base-model six-banger will not get a black-roof option for 2016.)

Finally, Ford will extend the Performance package to the convertible Mustang GT for 2016. Strictly limited to manual-transmission models, the bundle adds a plethora of chassis upgrades for sharper handling. Those include a thicker rear anti-roll bar, heavy-duty front springs, strut-tower and underbody bracing, six-piston Brembo brake calipers at the front, staggered-width black 19-inch wheels (9.0 inches wide up front and 9.5 out back), and a 3.73:1 limited-slip differential. Performance-package Mustangs also receive uniquely tuned stability control, ABS, and electric power steering; a more aggressive front splitter; engine-turned trim around the gauges; and delete the standard decklid spoiler.

If you choose a Premium-trim EcoBoost or GT, you also can now enjoy Ford’s updated Sync 3 in-dash infotainment system for 2016. Faster and more intuitive to use either by touch or voice and delivering automatic software updates via Wi-Fi, it’s a welcome improvement to the Mustang’s dashboard.

Ford says that 2016 Mustangs of all flavors will start hitting dealerships in the third quarter of 2015.
Old 6/21/15, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

I am waiting mainly for the Sync 3, since you can't just swap a Sync 2 headunit. Wiring seems not to be compatible between the two.
Old 6/22/15, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sese
I am waiting mainly for the Sync 3, since you can't just swap a Sync 2 head unit. Wiring seems not to be compatible between the two.

What is a Sync anyway?
I'm still living in the 60s...
Old 6/22/15, 04:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cat1870
What is a Sync anyway?
I'm still living in the 60s...
Sync is a huge pile of fetid crap designed by those world famous purveyors of fetid crap Microsoft.
Old 6/22/15, 05:07 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buckethead1

Sync is a huge pile of fetid crap designed by those world famous purveyors of fetid crap Microsoft.
My wife's 14 Dodge has the critically acclaimed uConnect which overall works very well but has had the occasional blank screen and and phone connect issues. By comparison the MyFordTouch Touch system in my 15 Mustang has been absolutely perfect as has the systems in the Fusions and Edges I have rented over the past year.

The MyFordTouch Touch graphics are better than uConnect, better than the system in a rental Cruze and a rental Corolla I have had.

I like the home screen in MyFord Touch better than the other systems I have tried in that you have rudimentary control of each of the main systems without leaving the home screen. The others if you want to change the HVAC you have to go to that screen first.

I like the navigation in uConnect better because it integrates with the TFT dash and displays next turn info in the dash. I also like the actual street view photographs of the next turn compared the computer rendition in MyFordTouch Touch. Both systems use SirusXM travel link and traffic alert so that is the same.

People complain about the speed of MyFordTouch but compared to the other systems I have used the differences are trival.

MyFordTouch voice recognition works better than uConnect for me but that may be because I am more used to it.

I realize Ford had a bunch of issues when it first came out in the 10/11 time frame but what they are putting in the cars for 15 works extremely well.
Old 6/22/15, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?

Originally Posted by dgc333
My wife's 14 Dodge has the critically acclaimed uConnect which overall works very well but has had the occasional blank screen and and phone connect issues. By comparison the MyFordTouch Touch system in my 15 Mustang has been absolutely perfect as has the systems in the Fusions and Edges I have rented over the past year.

The MyFordTouch Touch graphics are better than uConnect, better than the system in a rental Cruze and a rental Corolla I have had.

I like the home screen in MyFord Touch better than the other systems I have tried in that you have rudimentary control of each of the main systems without leaving the home screen. The others if you want to change the HVAC you have to go to that screen first.

I like the navigation in uConnect better because it integrates with the TFT dash and displays next turn info in the dash. I also like the actual street view photographs of the next turn compared the computer rendition in MyFordTouch Touch. Both systems use SirusXM travel link and traffic alert so that is the same.

People complain about the speed of MyFordTouch but compared to the other systems I have used the differences are trival.

MyFordTouch voice recognition works better than uConnect for me but that may be because I am more used to it.

I realize Ford had a bunch of issues when it first came out in the 10/11 time frame but what they are putting in the cars for 15 works extremely well.
I agree, the later Myford touch systems have performed well, even the replacement system in our 2012 explorer hasn't gone down. It's a shame that they're going to replace it with sync3 just as they got most of the bugs worked out.
Old 6/22/15, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgc333

I had MyFordTouch in my 2012 Focus and now in my 2015 Mustang. I have had relatively few problems with MyFordTouch and with any computer based tech, it is not going to work perfectly all of the time. My prediction is that upon the initial release of Sync 3, there will be cries about how buggy Sync 3 is. It will take a year or so to work out the bugs of Sync 3 before it becomes a stable, usable platform. Once people start using it, they will use it in ways Ford never thought of, causing crashes.
Old 6/22/15, 11:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sese
I am waiting mainly for the Sync 3, since you can't just swap a Sync 2 headunit. Wiring seems not to be compatible between the two.
And Synch 3 will be compatible with CarPlay and Android in the Car
Old 6/23/15, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by buckethead1
There just has to be a smart *** in every crowd...
Old 6/23/15, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, if you are interested in navigation, the 16's get 5 years of Sync Travel link with traffic, weather, gas prices and so on. The 15's only get 6 months of this.

The black color is going non-metallic in the 16's too.
Old 6/23/15, 08:33 AM

The 15 on order is Magnetic color and a convertible too...
Old 6/23/15, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
Also, if you are interested in navigation, the 16's get 5 years of Sync Travel link with traffic, weather, gas prices and so on. The 15's only get 6 months of this.

The black color is going non-metallic in the 16's too.
The 15's get 6 months of Sirius XM and 5 years of Sirius Travel Link.
Old 6/23/15, 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There just has to be a smart *** in every crowd...
If you had the problems I've had with Sync in my 2012 Focus AND 2013 F150 you'd be a smart *** too.
Maybe the present system is okay. But the first generation Sync should have never been okayed for production. So according to everybody here when I order my 2016 GT the Sync3 will be good?
I do hope so!
Old 6/24/15, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 15BluStang
The 15's get 6 months of Sirius XM and 5 years of Sirius Travel Link.
I was just going by the Order Guide, and a bit of an assumption. The 16 order guide specifies that the navigation comes with 5 years of the travel link, while the 15 guide says nothing at all.

If you had the problems I've had with Sync in my 2012 Focus AND 2013 F150 you'd be a smart *** too.
Maybe the present system is okay. But the first generation Sync should have never been okayed for production. So according to everybody here when I order my 2016 GT the Sync3 will be good?
I do hope so!
I'm sure Ford won't rush the new system to market like they did the first system. With that they had a hard deadline because it was coming in the redesigned Edge. But with Sync 3 they haven't painted themselves into that wall. They said it will come on some cars, sometime in 16. However, since the hole in the dash is the same for both versions, they could push it back, keep using current sync and not have to redesign any interiors. I'm confident that it will be a much better launch than the original MyFord Touch. Not saying it will be flawless, but fewer and less severe issues.
Old 6/30/15, 12:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 15 on order is Magnetic color and a convertible too...
Here is mine
Attached Thumbnails 2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?-img_6192.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2015 vs 2016 GT Premium?