2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/14, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
Hahahahaha "instantly dates huh?" I think you Fustang guys are trying to hard to feel good about the 15' getting absolutely trounced by the 14' at the strip! But if putting down the 14' helps you sleep better than go right ahead tiger meow bahahahahaha!
He never once put the 2014 down. You may have read it that way due to your insecurities about the '14 but only you know for sure. I drove the 2015 GT yesterday and it is indeed awesome. The dry clutch feels like a dream compared to my previous '14 (traded in May). The IRS makes driving around town a very comfortable experience. At 65 it got almost 27 MPH, the seats are fantastic and the interior is finally something to be proud of. And the hood 'fins' were barely noticeable over the pleasing roar of the V8. As soon as the dealership decides to sell me one at invoice, I'm all in.

Last edited by Darth Guinness; 10/29/14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10/29/14, 03:04 PM
GT Member

@astenax

Haha, sounds like you're really envious and defensive regarding this new model, I'm not sure the 14 trounces anything, in fact in the comparison of a TP equipped 14 GT vs a non PP 15 GT that was shared the 15 beats it in the majority of their heads up drag races, and we know with pro drivers the 15 crushes the s197 around a track. In terms of posted 1/4 times the best I've seen thus far is 12.8 from MT, give it a little time to be broken in and drivers to learn to launch the IRS, it will keep up and likely beat the outgoing model in the 1/4, I'd bet my house on it.

Enjoy this video a TP 2014 GT getting WALKED by a non PP 2015 GT:

Last edited by Fox9350; 10/29/14 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 03:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that's what's I expected from the 2015!^^
Old 10/29/14, 03:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Makes no sense, why would Ford release a new model that is slower than the previous model!? I'm sure this was one of Fords test, testing the 14 against the 15. And I'm sure there will be a lot of driver races where the S197 beats the S550.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/29/14 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 03:48 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,724 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
You know why this thread sucks? Mustangers bashing Mustangers. It's... it's like the whole Mustang II thing all over again..
^^^This X1000!!!
Old 10/29/14, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got to see one of the new 15 Mustangs yesterday at the local dealer. It was a premium ecoboost model with an automatic and the 50th anniversary package. It was Guard metallic with black wheels. I really liked the color and the black wheels but I'm still not very impressed with the overall look of the car. I still think my 14 GT is a better looking car.

I still want to drive one and get to sit inside to see if that makes a difference to me.

Wayne
Old 10/29/14, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fox9350
@astenax

Haha, sounds like you're really envious and defensive regarding this new model, I'm not sure the 14 trounces anything, in fact in the comparison of a TP equipped 14 GT vs a non PP 15 GT that was shared the 15 beats it in the majority of their heads up drag races, and we know with pro drivers the 15 crushes the 15 around a track. In terms of posted 1/4 times the best I've seen thus far is 12.8 from MT, give it a little time to be broken in and drivers to learn to launch the IRS, it will keep up and likely beat the outgoing model in the 1/4, I'd bet my house on it.

Enjoy this video a TP 2014 GT getting WALKED by a non PP 2015 GT:

2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2014 Ford Mustang GT Drag Race 2 - YouTube
Bububububu S197 better straight line Fustang slow IRS sucks Euro garbage.
Old 10/29/14, 10:13 PM
GT Member

I did not like the 2015 in pictures.

We just bought a 2014 GT base model last Fall and we love it.

But the new one is fast growing on me, and I hate to say it but it is starting to make me look at ours as being a little "clunky" in comparison. New one looks really sleek.

Will have to wait another year to get some equity in this before even thinking of a trade though.
Old 10/29/14, 10:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by oceantracks

But the new one is fast growing on me, and I hate to say it but it is starting to make me look at ours as being a little "clunky" in comparison. New one looks really sleek.

Will have to wait another year to get some equity in this before even thinking of a trade though.
Won't it just fall further upside down in terms of equity the longer you wait?
Old 10/29/14, 10:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fox9350
Won't it just fall further upside down in terms of equity the longer you wait?
You may have a point, I should probably talk to my dealer. We have bought 3 Mustangs from him over the last couple of years and they treat us pretty darn well.

So worth an inquiry anyway!

thx
Tom
Old 10/29/14, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I like all mustangers as long as they like the 15 model year.
I don't *dislike* it.. I love it from a lot of standpoints. Just.. that front end, and the overly complicated IRS I'm not a fan of is all.
Old 10/29/14, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by oceantracks

God, I wish I could play out this same scenario - but in an alternate universe where the wife wouldn't freaking kill me.
Old 11/8/14, 08:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
the side by side pics of a 15 vs a S197, still dont sway me a bit... havent seen one 'for real' except at the auto show, hoping to see one on a dealer lot in the sunshine this week, will give it another chance...but unlike the 2005 that just screamed Mustang to me when i first saw it in 2004, this new one just didnt catch my eye any more than any model from 74-04, and a lot LOT less than any 65-73 or 05-09 or 13-14 (still hate the 10-12 tails... never got over it, never will). All the years that didnt appeal to me enough to go buy one were still mustangs/still good cars/etc... just everyone has their favorites
interior/power improvements are great, still think 90% of the folks clamoring for IRS wont know the difference or ever even warm up those massive brakes... but to those that will, yee-ha, these things are gonna be screamers for sure... but to me, like with the late,great GTO- if a awesome car dont have the 'gotta have it' styling, it might have a hard time no matter how great. I hope buyers will be all over the 15, but to me the price is getting out of line and the styling is detouring away from the first generations again... will know in a year- even getting a 06 was a waiting game for me, backlogs/ADMs were still rampant a full year into the new S197... I hope for Fords sake it will happen again, but to my minds eye, the 16 wont likely be seeing backorders: just the general consensus from EVERYONE ive talked to personally was about the same as my 'meh'... dont dislike it, but didnt dislike the GTOs either- just didnt 'want' one at first glance.
kinda glad the 15 didnt resemble a 69 in a way though...we are out of garage space, think building yet another garage woulda been a harder sell to the wife than another mustang...so I'm safe till the next iteration at least...
had to follow-up... got to see some 'for real' today, local dealer had six on the lot, only sold one last week, but it is ohio... must say they do look a lot better out in the real world than on a turntable under high powered lights at a auto show- while im still not a big fan of the front or rear ends, theres definitely nothing to hate about it, it will grow on me. the interior is really nice- i'd thought the steering wheel looked 'busy' in pics, but it looks/feels great, seats are great (still preferred the cloth- but the perforated/air conditioned leather looks really nice) visibility is improved- like the low mounted mirrors and the smaller triangle- small change, but helps make the A-pillar look smaller from the drivers seat... I absolutely hate the visibility in the new camaro, never thought the 06 mustang had any problem, but this is better... mirrors are plenty big, yet look better outside. while not a personal favorite color, i do think the rearend looks best on the black cars... the gloss black plastic looks like it will scuff very easily- I kinda think they shoulda semi-glossed that on other colors.
unfortunately, the two that were unlocked both had minor underhood paint issues...a silver one had the tiny bubbles under the hem paint back by the hinge area, and the red one had either a run in the clearcoat or a bubble in the paint just above the tip of the fender...it mighta been a repaint, as one of the fender bolts had touchup paint brushed on it (salesman said, no thats security marking paint- seriously?) so that mighta had some kind of issue- same red car had a quite uneven gap at the top of door/fender.
one thing i REALLY have concerns with, it had rained a couple hours earlier, and upon opening the hoods, a lot of water poured out of the drains onto the headlights as the hood was lifted, then a bunch sloshed out the rear as it went up- I'm afraid unless we had a monsoon here, that ford mights put the drains a bit high...with all the prior hood troubles, i was really kinda shocked to see the front lip was full of water sitting there- again, this still worries me. dollars to donuts, the hood paint issues are still gonna be present in my opinion.

All in all pretty impressed compared to other stuff out there, and was kinda surprised the GTs were pretty well optioned in the high 35 range- i still think thats a lot for a mustang, but minivans cost more these days...I'm still not thinking about a new car today, and if i were -mostly because of the hood paint issues Ive had on all three of ours has really got me pissed at ford- the first two didnt bug me much, but when the 4 mile only wet twice 09 bubbled up this fall...well for the time being mustang or not, fords not getting any more of my money- they had a decade and still AAI is not doing hyundai quality work on hoods - id probably go with a challenger...looks alone can sell that car, the new mustang is sharp, but I still like the older ones better... but its definitely not ugly by any stretch, and the interior guys deserve a pat on the back, it almost looks too high-end for a mustang
Didnt test drive one, but i'm sure they will be awesome performers...liked the wheels on two of them also, kinda torq-thrust-ish, but still no lip they gave the car a lot more of the oldschool look than the flat faced black wheels a couple had...different strokes for different folks, but glad to see the 'old' wheel look is still a option.
they didnt have any blue ones onhand (luckily maybe) just pair of black/red/gray ones, they all looked good. think Ford might just do ok with these
Old 11/9/14, 06:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good observation OP. I agree
Old 11/9/14, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I finally got to see one in person at the local dealer. I didn't change my opinion as much as I thought it would, but I still like it alot. The one I saw was an automatic Eco. None the less, I am looking forward to owning one as my DD. However, that will be either a 2020 or the refresh, depending which I prefer. I don't think it dates the S197 as this is a new direction for Mustang, a good direction for the future - my opinion.
Old 11/9/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I just hate the 15
Old 11/10/14, 10:27 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I just hate the 15
I wasnt head over heels over it, but seeing it up close for real, its not bad... The saddest thing though is still about 90% of the people i asked all said ' oh, its OK...'
Definitely not like the positive comments when the 05 came out, or the negative comments when the '10 came out... The all new 05 was a hit to say the least, the 10 taillights and 'diaper' comments were anything but good... Have met very few that outright hated the 15 right out of the gate, but most were sorta 'its OK...'

Hope it does better than just OK sales wise..
Old 11/11/14, 04:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just do not know what people see. This is more Mustang than any other model since '70.
It incorporates everything the '69 had to a tee. This rear is the best interpretation since then. Here are pics of a '69 next to a '15.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...t-vs-5911.html
Old 11/11/14, 06:45 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd been underwhelmed about the S550, until I saw a Comp Orange GT with the PP and black wheels. It was a head turner. Looks like a different car. CO is the way to go.
Old 11/11/14, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would buy the S550 in a heart beat if I were in the market for the S550. I still feel like the S550 does not "date" the S197. The only real thing you can say about the two mustangs is that the S550 is the new generation mustang, is the successor to the S197 model.

Both model mustangs are so different that its so hard to say that the S550 dates the S197.

If you were to look at the S197 family and say that the 2014 S197 makes the 2010 model look dated, I can agree with that because of newer upgrades like the HID, LED and other little upgrades does make the older 2010 S197 look dated.

The fact remains. The S550 and the S197 are SO different from the ground up, its hard to say that they are both the same cars thanks to IRS completely different body, redesigned interior and more options.

in the next year, Ford now has two really strong lines ups that are going to sell really well. (until the S197 stock dries up)

To me. the only true similarities that I can see between the S550 and S197 is the engine and the name "Mustang"

Quick Reply: 2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.