2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Ford Mustang World Launch a Success So Far

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/15, 10:12 AM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the early numbers that Ford's released, it seems the Mustang is a hit in foreign markets. So, for what kinds of Mustangs are people overseas looking?

Read the rest on the TheMustangSource.com homepage. >>

Old 3/20/15, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I'll save you a click

When it was announced that the Mustang would be a global car for the 2015 model year, not many embraced the idea of the car succeeding outside of the U.S. Those people were mostly those who hated the fact that the Mustang has a 2.3-liter EcoBoost and IRS now. However, given the early numbers that Ford’s released, it seems that the Mustang is a hit in foreign markets. So, for what kinds of Mustangs are people overseas looking?

The S550s that have been built on the Ford Europe configurators have been predominantly Race Red. Seriously, out of the 500,000 that our across-the-Atlantic friends have digitally created, 20 percent have been Race Red. Black accounts for another 20 percent. Over on the Pacific side of the world, the people of China are also clicking the Race Red option, which comes on over a third of Chinese Mustang orders.

Engine-wise, the clear winner isn’t that clear at all. It’s split between the 5.0-liter V8 and the 2.3-liter EcoBoost. Over in Germany and the UK, the V8 is the victor, while in Italy, Spain, and France, the EcoBoost takes the top spot. Manual transmissions, on the other hand, account for two-thirds of all specifications no matter if the V8 or the EcoBoost is under the hood…er…bonnet.

Sixty-one percent of Europeans go with the Ebony leather interior; 28 percent of those people choose the Custom Pack, which includes:

• “Shaker Pro” premium audio system with navigation
• Climate controlled seats, reverse parking sensors
• Lustre Nickel multi-spoke 19-inch alloy wheels
• Side window chrome surrounds on the fastback model

Euro-market buyers can get their 2015 Mustangs at new Ford Store locations that are opening across the region, mostly in metropolitan areas. The first overseas Mustang shipments will hit Asia first, with Europe getting them in mid-2015. The UK’s right-hand-drive ‘Stangs will show up in the second half of this year.

Old 3/20/15, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
*Snip

Oh my gosh....with a window tint this car would be the most sinister looking thing on the road!
Old 3/20/15, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wait.... So now just because people started playing with the configurator , that itself is considered a success? Some 12 year old builds a car on the website just for fun, does not mean business success as he is not going to buy it, same as many others that will configure a mustang.

I can tell you right now its still a niche market car with few real sales, most Europeans even high- middle class don't buy sport cars, every time I go to Warsaw for vacation, I can count all the sport cars on one hand, maybe 2 if I get lucky.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 3/20/15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 3/20/15, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, I just read Ford put 500 units out for sale in Europe, and they were all sold in.......wait for it....30 seconds! Guess those folks don't like sports cars. I lived in Italy, and Germany for 10 years, and they loved the Mustang. I sold my 4 year old one, in Germany, for the same price I paid for it. They have some of the largest Mustang clubs around.

But, we will have to wait and see how successful it is after they start hitting the market, in significant numbers.
Old 3/20/15, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Funny, I just read Ford put 500 units out for sale in Europe, and they were all sold in.......wait for it....30 seconds! Guess those folks don't like sports cars. I lived in Italy, and Germany for 10 years, and they loved the Mustang. I sold my 4 year old one, in Germany, for the same price I paid for it. They have some of the largest Mustang clubs around.

But, we will have to wait and see how successful it is after they start hitting the market, in significant numbers.
OMG! 500 unit for the whole Europe? no wai !! its overflowing the roads already.....
And of course people will like Mustang in Europe, its rare, its like someone bringing over the Falcon over to US, everyone would throw themselves just to see it. I see Camaros, mustangs, corvettes every day, but seeing a camaro and a corvette in Poland ,like I did last year it felt different, like seeing an exotic for first time, just because of the fact that its super rare to see one in an area it was never designed to be sold.

All I'm saying they will not sell thousands of them a month like in USA, Europe is and always was a place where a car is a luxury, not necessity, and most will go for a econobox with 2.0L or less, only high middle class and rich can get a sports car over in Europe, not a typical hard working individual with a below average pay but could still rock a V8 monster if he plays his card right right here in the USA.
I'm getting off topic, but the fact that the configurator builds dont mean sh_t really and dont see how that is a success, people play around building Lambos all the time, 1% will actually buy that build.

Seeing a pickup truck like a Ram 2500 in Europe is even better then seeing a Lambo, it looks like a **** tank on their little narrow roads.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 3/20/15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 3/20/15, 07:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
OMG! 500 unit for the whole Europe? no wai !! its overflowing the roads already.....
And of course people will like Mustang in Europe, its rare, its like someone bringing over the Falcon over to US, everyone would throw themselves just to see it. I see Camaros, mustangs, corvettes every day, but seeing a camaro and a corvette in Poland ,like I did last year it felt different, like seeing an exotic for first time, just because of the fact that its super rare to see one in an area it was never designed to be sold.

All I'm saying they will not sell thousands of them a month like in USA, Europe is and always was a place where a car is a luxury, not necessity, and most will go for a econobox with 2.0L or less, only high middle class and rich can get a sports car over in Europe, not a typical hard working individual with a below average pay but could still rock a V8 monster if he plays his card right right here in the USA.
I'm getting off topic, but the fact that the configurator builds dont mean sh_t really and dont see how that is a success, people play around building Lambos all the time, 1% will actually buy that build.

Seeing a pickup truck like a Ram 2500 in Europe is even better then seeing a Lambo, it looks like a **** tank on their little narrow roads.
I want to see how well the S550 does here in the U.S and Canada first.. Otherwise it doesn't matter how well it does globally !
Old 3/20/15, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The 500 were just put out for sale, they were not at dealers, from what I read. The sales will ramp up later in the year as the new dealer network opens. Will it sell as well as in the U.S. and Canada, I doubt it simply because of the tax structure and fuel prices. The 2.3 Echo will most likely be the big volume seller, lower Road taxes, insurance rates and good fuel economy. Again, we shall see.
Old 3/20/15, 09:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
silly question- are cars being sold in Germany going to be required to have those 'plug in' jack points for changing tires like every other German car Ive seen?

I always wondered if that was a German 'thing' or a requirement... and how it worked for imports... just curious