2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

'18MY refresh - your wishes

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 03:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'18MY refresh - your wishes

Given the amount of bashing S550 has received on this forum, and others, I thought it would a good idea to have a thread to list out some of the areas we'd like to see improved/amended going forwards.

To early? I don't think so. There are already reports that Ford are working on the refresh, so our opinions count NOW!!

I do believe Ford read these forums and take note of the areas that really grate (think the candy-cane rear lights and "diaper" on the '10, which was massively improved for '13). So, a constructive thread could actually make a difference!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of S550, but even I'll admit there are elements that wouldn't have made production, had I been in charge (hey, a guy can dream, right!)

It took me a long time to accept the wrap around headlamps and lack of dorito window but, once I did, I began to love S550 for the gorgeous Mustang it is not the gorgeous Mustang I wanted it to be.

Now, lets assume the '18MY (or whenever the first significant refresh is scheduled for) is as big a jump as the '10 was over the '09. What would you like to see?

Me? Well, if you haven't seen these before, they are actually official Ford images.......options that were excluded in the productionisation of S550.

As mentioned, I'd love a return to the "dorito" rear side window and less of a "wrap-around" effect to the headlamps. I think the latter would go a long way to reducing those "FusionStang" comments!

I love the interior as it is and, as long as Ford continues to up the quality of the materials, I'll be happy. However, this alternative style looks even better, in my opinion!

Here's a great style I'd like to see for the headlamps........somewhere between the '14 and '15 styes (rendering my Topnotch)

Over to you guys..............what would you like to see
Old 7/25/14, 05:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics. I hope this thread doesn't furn into a war of words.

My take...

#1: My gut reaction was that it looks like a Camaro from the windshield forward. The speed bumps on the roof remind me of the Chrysler 200/Sebring hood. It feels like a redesign for the sake of redesign...too many sharp angles that seem like afterthoughts. In fairness though, we don't view our cars from above.

#2: I like this one. The quarter windows, but especially the side coves say "Mustang". I'm not crazy about the wide body but that might work well on a future Shelby or Roush. It's interesting that the cove doesn't extend to the guarter panels. Personally I prefer the more slab-sided look with the coves, but I'm biased towards my 2014 vs. the 2015. Still, it's very agressive and I see potential in this rendering. It also seems like a natural progression from the S197 to the S550.

#3: Killer interior....wished mine looked like this. I love the center mounted gauges above the console. Even the air vents look like they mean business. The electronics/nav isn't as obtrusive either. Aside from the cost of the present package, one of the things that turned me off about getting the nav was it's in-your-face placement. I could deal with this one. The re-design of the cup holders is welcome. I often keep a bottle of water handy, and shifting is awkward.

#4: The nose is still reminiscent to the 2015, but the S197 style fog lamps soften the sharpness of the grille and detract from the "F" cookie cutter appearance (is Fusion the new F-bomb?). Just the simple addition of the fogs make a huge difference. I agree...the comparisons with the Fusion would likely be negated.

Just my .02. Your mileage may vary.

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 7/25/14 at 06:29 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 06:25 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Should have started this thread after the car hit the streets and people get a chance to see it in person.

Personally, after seeing pics, I thought the front of the car was the weak link.
The side profile looks great, and the rear has a very strong, commanding look.

When I see it in person, it works and it is pretty aggressive.
If anything I would have liked to see a more slanted shark nose in the front, but I don't know how that would be from a design/aero. It might also mess up the rest of the lines in the front end.

I wished the track pack wheels weren't the glossy black design.
Not a huge fan of the multi-spoke and black painted wheels.

One other thing I wished would be update is MyFordTouch.
Update the hardware to run faster or flip it over to BB-QNX.

Coles/Cliffs Notes:
- Sharkier Nose
- Different Track pack wheel
- Glass Roof
- QNX/MFT speed updates
- One effin' gauge set

Last edited by Boomer; 7/25/14 at 09:46 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 07:19 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Should have started this thread after the car hit the streets and people get a chance to see it in person.

Fair point, but I'm from the UK and even I've seen it twice (once in Vegas at the 50th, and again at the Goodwood Festival of Speed)

Besides, I didn't want to wait too long in case Ford really do read this and take notes
Old 7/25/14, 07:41 AM
I Have No Life

I don't doubt they are already working on it in some form.
Old 7/25/14, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 is more likely that we will see a real refresh of the whole car, don't see ford doing it in just 3 years on the current car, minimum of 5 years at least.
Old 7/25/14, 08:18 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should have started this thread after the car hit the streets and people get a chance to see it in person. Personally, after seeing pics, I thought the front of the car was the weak link. The side profile looks great, and the rear has a very strong, commanding look. When I see it in person, it works and it is pretty aggressive. If anything I would have liked to see a more slanted shark nose in the front, but I don't know how that would be from a design/aero. It might also mess up the rest of the lines in the front end. I wished the track pack wheels weren't the glossy black design. Not a huge fan of the multi-spoke and black painted wheels. One other thing I wished would be update is MyFordTouch. Update the hardware to run faster or flip it over to BB-QNX.
Yes, my first thought was should have waited until the car is on the streets. Pics do not always do justice. Not too many complaints about the 2015 over here. I have not seen it in person but I love what I see so far.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 7/25/14 at 08:26 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's not much I would change about the 2015. I would like to see the scallop or C-scoop return, when the car gets re-skinned. The rear end is perfection in my eyes so I wouldn't want to see that changed at all. Well, OK, I can think of one change for the rear end of the GT. Leave the running pony emblem in place and just have a sticker in the corner of the panel that says GT, instead of replacing the pony emblem with the big chrome GT. It would be nice if the hood were lower and the grill were smaller. I also think it would be cool if a hatchback body style were available.

We also need a glass roof or T-tops option, but hopefully that will come in 2016.
Old 7/25/14, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a HUD.
Old 7/25/14, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
There is one thing I'd like to see happen, but I doubt will come to pass, and that's the removal of the propensity to chamfer/fillet the corners of the car in general, but especially the back. The Mustang looks less Mustang when this is done, to me.

In case anyone needs refreshing:

I'm not saying edges aren't needed, creases do work, but I'd prefer the rear to be more square from the back 'edge' to the side, and not angled/rounded. It's more 'correct' to me.

And the headlights... I just don't know. They're angled wrong, and look derpy from the front. They're also waaaay too long on the side. This is going to sound wrong, but take your fingers and pull back on the sides of your eyelids, trying to stretch them back to your ears. That's what it looks like, to me.

That grille treatment is just.. off. Not all Mustangs should look like SVTs/GT500s, IMO. It's not... *bad*, just... off. Like it was plastered on without a whole lot of thought from the corporate design. I said in the other thread, there's no need to have Mustang have a corporate design, like the other cars they make. Mustang=Ford. Everyone pretty much gets that. So make it Mustang, and be done with it, and don't try to force a corporate 'look' on the car. That detracts, and does what has been goin' on 'round the interwebs.

Maybe in person it'll be better, but that's my take. I mean, I love how my car looks, the '06 GT (except the grille. That'll change soon enough. Never have liked the driving/fog lamps in the grille, although the chrome overlay helps) so it doesn't bother me in the least when others come in and give criticism for how 'dated' the '05-09 looks. Don't. Care. I like her looks more than plenty. Your opinion is noted and discarded.

That's how it'll be with the '15, I imagine. And it'll be like that for whatever Ford puts out.

Ok, I'm done. Laters!

Last edited by houtex; 7/25/14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 08:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm all about the 2025 mustang with the cold fusion engine. CAN'T WAIT.
Old 7/25/14, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I love that interior pic, and also the front end in the last pic is MUCH better than 2015. That front end screams M U S T A N G. I also want the grille mounted fog lights back.

That is a Mustang I want right now!!
Old 7/25/14, 09:21 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
2020 is more likely that we will see a real refresh of the whole car, don't see ford doing it in just 3 years on the current car, minimum of 5 years at least.

Whole refresh maybe 20MY or 21MY.
But, imagine a 12-13 change.

Ford has stated in the last little while, changing things up every 3 years keeps people interested.

Oh...and ADD Glass Roof to my wishlist

Last edited by Boomer; 7/25/14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Whole refresh maybe 20MY or 21MY. But, imagine a 12-13 change. Ford has stated in the last little while, changing things up every 3 years keeps people interested. Oh...and ADD Glass Roof to my wishlist
Yes. Glass Roof. And/or Panoramic Sliding Roof.
Old 7/25/14, 09:44 AM
I Have No Life

AND ANOTHER thing!

ONE GAUGE SET for the world, not 2.

One set of numbers, change the ENGLISH/METRIC in the system.
Other cars have done this for years.
Old 7/25/14, 10:18 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Whole refresh maybe 20MY or 21MY.
But, imagine a 12-13 change.

Ford has stated in the last little while, changing things up every 3 years keeps people interested.
Yep, I'm with Boomer.....a refresh every 3 years will keep people interested and it's the Ford way now.

An all new Mustang in 2021/22 is more like it.........and I hope we're talking an aluminum intensive Mustang by then, but that's a thread for another day.

I'm expecting/hoping for a significant change for '18MY.........just as there was between '09 and '10/'11
Old 7/25/14, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

I'm also hoping for/expecting the 10-speed auto and DI for the Coyote for '18 or thereabouts
Old 7/25/14, 10:37 AM
GTR Member

LED headlamps with integrated turn signal.....

And here's a suggestion (not my Photoshop) of how I'd prefer the headlamps

Name:  2015Mustangheadlamp_zps1716ac39.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  113.7 KB
Old 7/25/14, 04:41 PM

Never too early!

Major body structure will not change, i.e., expect only the end/bumper caps, front fender, hood, trim bits and lights to change, maybe door skin.

Clean up, simplify and better integrate the design elements of both ends. Audi, a style leader, I think is presaging a somewhat cleaner, simpler design ethos in distinction to the more florid, busy, and flamboyant trend of the past few years.

Slightly more pinched in grill, wider headlights.

Like exterior, cleaned up, more coherent interior design (liked the render).

Consolidate and increase driver info into LCD instrument panel.

Trim 100+ lbs (trickle down from F-150 program).

More gears. DCT would be ideal, but Ford seems to have only a passing interest and only on lower end cars.

DI on all motors.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by rhumb; 7/25/14 at 04:43 PM.
Old 7/26/14, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glass Roof or Targa top. Less weight due to more use of HSS in structural components, possibly C pillar.

Quick Reply: '18MY refresh - your wishes