Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

2013 GT500 Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/11, 07:04 PM
BOSS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97GT03SVT, You're wrong.
Old 3/17/11, 10:35 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
97GT03SVT, You're wrong.
agreed, it'll be a 5.8L.
Old 3/17/11, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I posted this in the other 2013 GT500 thread...if you add the 10 months and 11 months together that they mention in the article you get 21 months or almost 2 years. Is C&D talking about the 2013 or the 2014 model year? It wouldn't be the first time they were off by a model year or more
Old 3/18/11, 12:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I reckon you're looking at '13 MY, so on sale this time next year. If there are slight body mods, I guess we'll see mules with heavier disguise in the next couple of months or so
Old 3/18/11, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would agree that a 5.8 makes sense the engineers who worked on the Plasma Wire Arc tech probably worked on a variety of engine designs and pushed the limits of the tech. I would assume one of the goals of the program was to see how thin they could go to save weight and metal on future designs. probably ran tests on a 5.8L config and showed it was strong enough to be production ready so why not put it into production? ford seems to be in the habit now of taking good ideas and making them reality.
Old 3/18/11, 10:10 AM

I can't see Ford diverting too many resources -- money, time, engineers -- to squeezing out much more life out of an engine line clearly and shortly destined for the annals of history. If a bore job to bring it to 5.8 liters, a poetic 351ci, plus bolting on a different blower can do the job, then fine.

The 6.2 motor is a stout thing, both in low-mid range power and also size and weight. It is clearly a truck motor design and an excellent one at that, but not really a performance car design. I could see it being pressed into that duty (a modern day 428 Cobra Jet?), but I think it would never be the most ideal power plant for a Stang.

However, every penny and second devoted to the 5.4/5.8 is a penny and second taken from, say, the 5.0, a motor with a more broader and longer future. I would say best to consolidate resources there than fritter them away on the Mod motor family's swan song. If it can be done rather cheaply and easily -- and SVT/SHO has shown the capability to do a lot with a little in the past in a kind of Skunk Works kind of way -- then fine, but I hope they don't divert too many resources to it.

The 5.0 does make an excellent, and I would argue much superior, long term future motor base than either the outgoing Mod motor or the new 6.2 truck motor. People mention the 10-11:1 arguing against turbo/super charging, but a simple set of new lower compression pistons plus DI would solve this problem instantly. Given Ford's penchant for consolidating things -- chassis, motors, etc -- across the globe, I foresee the 5.0 motor being the Mustang's sole long-term V8 performance motor.

I would imagine that a future Mustang engine lineup, in a lighter, sleeker and more agile future Mustang, might look something like this:

200hp range -- 2.0L-2.5L four (for a return to a bargain basement Secretary's Special, but a Fiesta of Focus based coupe might better fit this role)

250hp range -- Ecoboost 2.3L four (if Ford wants to retain a more distinctly sporty flavor across the Stang line for better branding)

300hp range -- 3.7 V6

400hp range -- 5.0 V8 and also possibly an Ecoboost 3.5 V6 out of the Taurus SHO.

500+hp range -- Ecoboost 5.0

I think the four cylinder options to be the least likely, opening room in the overall Ford lineup with a Fiesta or Focus based sport coupe to more aggressively go after current import buyers and keeping the Mustang a more distinct performance model. That approach worked well, for a while, with both the Probe then Cougar and Stang in the lineup during the '90's, but then they sort of let the Probe and Cougar whither on the vine and become none competitive. Ford seems determined not to be so complacent with constant model development these days, so a return to that strategy could work again. It would also pay dividends in not only going after new and different market segments, but also in terms of CAFE and EPA standards, and that they would need, globally speaking, a competitive FWD/AWD small sport coupe anyways.

Last edited by rhumb; 3/18/11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 3/18/11, 10:36 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
However, every penny and second devoted to the 5.4/5.8 is a penny and second taken from, say, the 5.0, a motor with a more broader and longer future.
Believe me, they aren't neglecting work on the 5L family.

I don't think the 5.8 is going to be 'just a larger version' of the 5.4.
Just sayin'
Old 3/18/11, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer
Believe me, they aren't neglecting work on the 5L family.

I don't think the 5.8 is going to be 'just a larger version' of the 5.4.
Just sayin'
A bored and/or stroked 5.0?

A would highly doubt a whole new/different motor for the GT500.
Old 3/18/11, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

the 5.4 is already DOHC, if they are messing around with the design to upgrade the supercharger and make it 5.8 could they add TI-VCT? for more power and to balance the fuel mileage, not that MPG is a huge priority but they seemed pretty proud of staying under the guzzler tax.

I guess they could also use the VCT system in conjunction with launch control to lower the low and mid RPM torque output in first gear and make launching the car a bit easier. i know thats backwards of what VCT is typically used for but in this application it would make sense.
Old 3/18/11, 12:25 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rhumb
A bored and/or stroked 5.0?

A would highly doubt a whole new/different motor for the GT500.
No, I didn't say 5L

They've invested a lot of time and gotten a wealth of knowledge on the 5.4 over the years. Improving the wheel, but not reinventing it.

Think of all the changes that the engine has gone through (even as a 5.4) over the years. Even from 2007 till now.
Old 3/18/11, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
97GT03SVT, You're wrong.

I love how my OPINION is suddenly wrong because it is different from others on these forums.

All I am stating is that it is kind of weird that for a while now we have heard that Ford was developing a ecoboost version of the 5.0 and that the current 5.4 was going to be phased out. I'm not making this stuff up there has been plenty of chatter on this in these forums. Also until the 5.8 becomes official my OPINION is neither wrong or right. Do you guys have any idea how many times these magazines with "insider info" are wrong? Here is one I remember from all the major automotive publications "The 2005 5th gen Ford Mustang will have IRS" or this one "the 5th gen Mustang will debut in 2004 to coincide with the Mustang's 40th anniversary"

Before people attack what I have to say why not read the post completely. I'm sure most of you here know as much about the 2013 GT500 as me, which is nothing.
Old 3/18/11, 02:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Phil, its going be a 5.8L. Lots of people in here have inside info. The mags are usually wrong but they must have finally got a good source lol.
Old 3/18/11, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, I didn't say 5L

They've invested a lot of time and gotten a wealth of knowledge on the 5.4 over the years. Improving the wheel, but not reinventing it.

Think of all the changes that the engine has gone through (even as a 5.4) over the years. Even from 2007 till now.
Right. And didn't the 5.4 start as a "truck motor" too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

Like Colin Chapman of Lotus said "what happens above the cylinders is more important than what happens below".

You can throw different head designs, 4V/TiVCT, cams, etc. on any block and completely change the performance profile, right?

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/18/11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 3/18/11, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Phil, its going be a 5.8L. Lots of people in here have inside info. The mags are usually wrong but they must have finally got a good source lol.
That is great, what I said before though was that I doubt that Ford will put there resources into developing both a TT 5.0 and the blown 5.8. Wouldn't you agree that if Ford is going to make this 5.8 it would probably be around for a while in some way or another.

The current 5.4 has been modified over time but still goes back to 2007 so we have 2007-12 that is a good run for the 5.4. I guess I was not clear in my posts. This 5.8 kinda surprised me and I agree that it is possible, but I don't see the 5.8 around for only a couple model years I think it will have a similar lifespan to the current 5.4, basically see some minor tweaks here and there. What I was trying to say in my last post is that having both the TT 5.0 and blown 5.8 seem unlikely... but again I have been wrong before.
Old 3/18/11, 02:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
That is great, what I said before though was that I doubt that Ford will put there resources into developing both a TT 5.0 and the blown 5.8. Wouldn't you agree that if Ford is going to make this 5.8 it would probably be around for a while in some way or another.

The current 5.4 has been modified over time but still goes back to 2007 so we have 2007-12 that is a good run for the 5.4. I guess I was not clear in my posts. This 5.8 kinda surprised me and I agree that it is possible, but I don't see the 5.8 around for only a couple model years I think it will have a similar lifespan to the current 5.4, basically see some minor tweaks here and there. What I was trying to say in my last post is that having both the TT 5.0 and blown 5.8 seem unlikely... but again I have been wrong before.
I think you are right in that regard. The only difference is there probably won't be a TT5.0.

Boomer has said numerous times they have a mule with that powertrain running around, but currently no plans to produce it.

Just like you I assume the 5.8 will last a while
Old 3/18/11, 03:42 PM
BOSS Member

I wouldn't get your hopes up on an Ecoboost 5.0, ever. People automatically assume that since the 4cyl and 6cyl versions exist, then the V8 must be on it's way. The whole reason the Ecoboost technology exists is to make good power with a smaller engine while getting respectable fuel economy. Not to simply make tons of power, which I presume the TT 5.0 would. As of now there is no point in a TT 5.0, the 5.4L block is proven to be extremely durable and able to withstand a lot of power. The days of big power cars won't last forever, might as well go out on top.
Old 3/19/11, 06:21 AM
I Have No Life

I agree... how long remains to be seen.

That's not to say Ford isn't working on some kickass things to keep the cars fun and fast. They've already started dabling with S/C on the 5L (see the Aussie 5L)
which you don't have to be a bean counter to know that its cheaper than a TT5L setup. (and more than capable of putting out a LOT of power)
Old 3/19/11, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

2015MY...
That leaves 2 Model Years after 2012MY for the changes to keep things fresh enough into the new design.
Can Ford afford to do that, though? I know they made like $6.6 billion last year, but they still have a few loans to pay, including a couple from Uncle Sam IIRC.
Old 3/19/11, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xlover
the 5.4 is already DOHC, if they are messing around with the design to upgrade the supercharger and make it 5.8 could they add TI-VCT? for more power and to balance the fuel mileage, not that MPG is a huge priority but they seemed pretty proud of staying under the guzzler tax.

I guess they could also use the VCT system in conjunction with launch control to lower the low and mid RPM torque output in first gear and make launching the car a bit easier. i know thats backwards of what VCT is typically used for but in this application it would make sense.
They COULD, but its not that simple. They'd have to modify the heads (obviously) and the block for the oil passages, as Ti-VCT uses oil feed from the front on both banks, and the 5.4L still uses the old Modular oiling setup, with one bank fed from the front and the other from the rear.
Old 3/19/11, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Just a thought going along with that... they did roll out the 6.2 along with the other new engines.

Maybe it would make more sense to use that block rather than push out the 5.4. Throw different heads & cams and a blower on the 6.2 block and Ford is getting more payback on their 6.2 engineering.
That would make sense, but Ford has already said that the 6.2L engine is too big for the Mustang. Also, lest we forget, early on the Boss/Hurricane engine program there was a 5.8 version (that I suspect would have been a 'pass car' engine) that was cut early on. A DOHC 6.2L with Ti-VCT would be a beast, to be sure, but it would also be a heavy beast.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 Rumors