Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Would you buy again?

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/14, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy again?

I was ready to buy a 2014 Ruby Red Mustang but have been reading the problems folks are experiencing: Paint flaking/bubbling, aluminum hoods not primed, radio screen delaminating, suspension squeaks, LCA replacement, hydro bushing too close to the catalytic converter, warranty repair denials.

Ford assembles, ships to dealer, dealer sells to customer, problems discovered, TSB’s issued. Basically, customer road tests/fine tunes and continues additional assembly through the dealership as problems arise (if dealership agrees there is a problem.)

Deysha is available as your consumer advocate when a dealer is unresponsive. One of the reasons I am still considering the Ford Mustang.

Is a new Mustang worth the time and hassle?

Would you buy again after the problems you have experienced?
Old 5/7/14, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The simple answer is yes.

Ford does as well or better than any other Manufacturer of reasonably priced vehicles out there.

No car is designed, tested, and assembled without any issues. NONE.

The Mustang has very minor issues compared to many other makes and models.
Old 5/7/14, 02:32 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You really only hear about the "problems" around places like this. A lot of people join these sites just to get info on problems they are experiencing. For every problem you hear about, there are probably 50 that don't have the issue. The transmission issue was very common and most people have figured how to take care of it. Another big issue is bad service departments that just don't take care of their customers. Yes most people would buy another one.
Old 5/7/14, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a difficult question for me.

On one hand, I love my '11 Mustang GT/CS. It's a car that has both "show" and some "go". I get nothing but compliments in it, and the ladies aren't shy around it.

On the other hand, it has had it's share of issues. Driver seat track stopped working and the dreaded LCA squeaks. It's now at the dealership for its second repair for the LCAs.

It's a great car, just have to work through the bugs like any other vehicle. It's nice that the Mustang is such a simple car, and isn't as difficult to work on as opposed to a BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Last edited by KushBandit; 5/7/14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 5/7/14, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I ordered my Ruby Red 2014 and have had it for 14 months and near 19,000 miles. The SelectShift switch failed recently and the dealer had it replaced the day after I dropped it off. I've done some pretty spirited driving, a few autocross events and a few road trips and the car has been great. It IS kept in a garage when it is not on the road but I don't worry about the weather. It has never seen snow or ice and probably won't, but it has been out in plenty of rain.

I have no regrets about having bought it and would do so again. I agree with the others who have said good news is no news. You are far more likely to see people reporting problems than people reporting that they have none. That doesn't tell you anything about the numbers of each of those groups.
Old 5/7/14, 04:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You really only hear about the "problems" around places like this. A lot of people join these sites just to get info on problems they are experiencing. For every problem you hear about, there are probably 50 that don't have the issue. The transmission issue was very common and most people have figured how to take care of it. Another big issue is bad service departments that just don't take care of their customers. Yes most people would buy another one.
Originally Posted by tukatz
I have no regrets about having bought it and would do so again. I agree with the others who have said good news is no news. You are far more likely to see people reporting problems than people reporting that they have none. That doesn't tell you anything about the numbers of each of those groups.

My Ford Bullitt Mustang has been flawless from the factory and still is at 6yrs/26k.

And my '83 Ford F150 4X has 254k and is still pullin!

What the "1 Post Wonder" OP isn't reporting is about the issues other manufacturers have with their vehicles. All manufacturers have some issues.

Do I use the "T" word?

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/7/14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 5/7/14, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I think the above post said it best. I spent 4 months reading through posts on this forum before I bought my car. My fear of the mt-82 and lca squeek scared the hell out of me. I bought it and loved it since the day it came home with me.
Old 5/7/14, 05:22 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I am disappointed in the amount of 'fixes' my 2011 GT has required. But all have been covered under warranty. A bit too many, as compared to what I'm used to (VW GTI, Audi A4, Infiniti G35). But...the FUN factor is through the roof. I do think I would buy again in the future. The ratio of smiles per $ is pretty darn good.
Old 5/7/14, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
My aunt said it to me today. Cars are a necessary evil. We have problems with them but we need them.
I could be driving something else with different problems but I wanted a Mustang and I still want a Mustang.
I would do it again without even thinking about it.

You have one go around at life. Drive what makes you happy.
That is all.
Old 5/9/14, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports featured reliability rankings of the 2014 manufacturers and models in their December 2013 issue.

In the "Sports Cars" category reviewing 19 entries, the Mustang V6 (8th place) & V8 (6th place) models both finished in the field's top half.

Porsche, 2 BMW's, Audi, and Miata entries beat out the Mustangs. The Honda Civic Si split the two Mustangs. Camaros, Challengers, and VW GTi's were several of the lower ranked offerings.

Consumer Reports, December 2013, Pg 64.

Last edited by sammerdog; 5/9/14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 5/9/14, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
My aunt said it to me today. Cars are a necessary evil. We have problems with them but we need them.
I could be driving something else with different problems but I wanted a Mustang and I still want a Mustang.
I would do it again without even thinking about it.

You have one go around at life. Drive what makes you happy.
That is all.
Your aunt is wise. I maintain the best car is no car at all, but it's hnear-impossible to live very well without one.

I'm on my fourth Mustang. Only one of them had any disabling problems. Everything else that was wrong was on the order of a girlfriend who walked too slow or too fast, or took too much time making decisions when shopping.

The problem that was disabling was a slipping clutch. After a small battle Ford replaced it with no subsequent failures.

I'd guess I'm not as sensitive to what stimulates some of the complaints I see on forums: my ears don't pick up much in the way of sounds above about 3.5Khz, so some squeaks may be there and just blow on by.

Would I buy again? Three times the answer was "Yes", and likely would be again.
Old 5/12/14, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
As others have said, problems get magnified on a site like this. Remember, Ford is selling 75k+ of these cars a year and maybe 0.5% of those buyers are on here but probably less. Which is why so many things we think are crises are limited to TSBs or no action at all by Ford, because they're isolated incidents in the overall business and total sales of the car. Sucks for us sometimes but it's the business reality, and Ford is no different than every other manufacturer in that regard.
Old 5/13/14, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes! I have had a few issues, as most do, but I really like the car, and having rented a KIA (not my choice honest!) I love the Mustang even more. Some of the dealers are either over loaded, or maybe a little lack of communication between customers, service writers and techs.
Hats off to Deysha, for stepping in. The Ford rep called me last night as I was dropping off the car at the dealers. Hopefully this will help resolve issues.
Old 5/13/14, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a lot of stupid little problems with my car. Crank Position Sensor (blinking check engine light), wheel well not sealed properly causing water to get in, LCD screen is de-laminating, Sync goes into idiot mode, my front LCA's are groaning now, and occasionally advancetrac freaks out and applies the brakes unnecessarily .

Would I buy again? Probably not.
Old 5/13/14, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
This has always been a question I've been conflicted about. On the one hand, Ford vehicles of the past several years have offered great performance, mileage and styling. Interiors have been improving, and generally speaking they all look real great on paper.

The issue is that there have been a lot of Mickey Mouse issues with both my Fords. These range from failing parts (mostly smaller, non critical parts) to just being lazy and using sub standard parts or build quality, probably thinking that the consumer will never know soon enough to have it warrantied. Some of these failures have occurred over FAR too long a time. It's very clear corporate knows about them, and they just don't care.

To add to that, the dealer network and Ford Motor Company often offer less then stellar service and warranty support. The number of times people have been turned away for what should clearly be warranty work (even by corporate) is ridiculous. And that's assuming you get a service department that is trustworthy and will work with you. I've been lucky in that regard in that most I've been to have been good.

What it ultimately comes down to is that the number of issues happening to vehicles (in my experience) is too great, and there is also too great a risk that those issues will not be fixed by the dealer or Ford. It makes it VERY difficult to continue wanting to buy a Ford. I love the vehicles, I hate the penny pinching going on behind the scenes.

Hopefully that can change in the future. I love my Mustang and I hope it proves to be trouble free.
Old 5/14/14, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to add my wife's new fusion (eco boost 2.0) has been working perfect and the car is really something great all around.
I do think with warranty/regular service, the communication between service writer and tech is lacking.
Old 5/14/14, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Still better than a Chevy!
Old 5/14/14, 10:24 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Still better than a Chevy!
X1000!!!
Old 5/14/14, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
When we received our GT500, there was peeling paint about an inch long by the corner of the bumper just below the headlight.

The dealer asked if I wanted to refuse delivery and I told him I already waited 3 months for the car, I don't want to wait another day. He said they could touch it up in their paint shop (outside vendor), but I don't trust leaving our $60 K car for a few days.

So we just live with it.
Old 5/14/14, 11:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TVC15
I was ready to buy a 2014 Ruby Red Mustang but have been reading the problems folks are experiencing: Paint flaking/bubbling, aluminum hoods not primed, radio screen delaminating, suspension squeaks, LCA replacement, hydro bushing too close to the catalytic converter, warranty repair denials. ...

Deysha is available as your consumer advocate when a dealer is unresponsive. One of the reasons I am still considering the Ford Mustang.
Originally Posted by snarlman
Yes! I have had a few issues, as most do, but I really like the car, and having rented a KIA (not my choice honest!) I love the Mustang even more. Some of the dealers are either over loaded, or maybe a little lack of communication between customers, service writers and techs.
Hats off to Deysha, for stepping in. ...
Thank you for the mention and kind words, guys!

Originally Posted by dave07
I have a lot of stupid little problems with my car. Crank Position Sensor (blinking check engine light), wheel well not sealed properly causing water to get in, LCD screen is de-laminating, Sync goes into idiot mode, my front LCA's are groaning now, and occasionally advancetrac freaks out and applies the brakes unnecessarily.
Let me get this escalated for you again, dave07. Be sure to send me a PM with your dealer and best daytime number.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Would you buy again?