Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Wind Noise Fix

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/15, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Noise Fix

I have a 2012 V6 Pony Package car and recently I have been experiencing a wind noise that occurs at speeds above 70MPH or when a head wind hits the car at lower speeds. The noise can best be described as a buzzing noise that seems like it is coming from the right front windshield area. The problem started after I replaced the cabin air filter and became real noticeable when I replaced the OE Pirellis. The issue is that the plastic cowl cover, the one you have to open to get to the cabin air filter, leaks air when it is pressurized at high speeds.

Here is the fix:
  1. Remove the 4 plastic retaining clips that hold the cowl cover in place
  2. Clean any dust from the lip on top of the sheet metal that is under the cowl cover
  3. Clean dust from the bottom of the plastic cowl where it mates with the sheet metal
  4. Install 1/4" x 1/4" outdoor rated weather stripping to lip on the sheet metal from one side to the other.
  5. Snap the cowl cover back down making sure that it clips in at the base of the windshield, Make sure that the weather strip stays in place.
  6. Reinstall the 4 plastic clips and make sure they are tight
This worked fore me immediately and has continued to work even after getting wet.