Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What's wrong with my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/13, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting

Originally Posted by flySWA737
If I had a nickel every time MT82 is mentioned on these threads. Defects happen everyday. My family bought four iPhones all at the same time and one turned out to have a faulty Wifi card.

I thought I had problems with my manual till I learned this tranny does not like to be man handled when rowing through the gears. A steady flick of the wrist without a firm grip and she shifts like butter every time. I've had even less shifting mess ups since I got a tune. I blame every shifting issue I have had on myself.

Learn the cars habits and she'll reward you back. It's what I did and I no longer have problems. Every car has its own personality, just have to learn it.
Hi flySWA737,

What tune did you get? I'm getting the mess ups between 1st and 2nd and it seems like she needs a firm grip to get into second. Thanks in advance.
Old 11/11/13, 09:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dakid1000
Hi flySWA737,

What tune did you get? I'm getting the mess ups between 1st and 2nd and it seems like she needs a firm grip to get into second. Thanks in advance.
A tune has nothing to do with the shifter and the difficulty (or not) of using it.
Old 11/12/13, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yet another thread that I can respond to with three letters!!!! I think I'm up to 20 threads where the simplest and best answer is MGW. Lol M. G. W.....
Amen...I'm a convert. Best mod to my car yet
Old 11/12/13, 12:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hi flySWA737, What tune did you get? I'm getting the mess ups between 1st and 2nd and it seems like she needs a firm grip to get into second. Thanks in advance.
Trans is just notchy, especially when cold. Plenty of info on here to solve most of it.
Old 11/16/13, 08:13 PM

Unhappy

I took mine in to get this MT 82 additive added to my tranny. The Ocala CSR told me they didn't even stock it ! AND if I went and bought it and put it in, my warranty would be VOIDED ! And they are the only one within a 60 mile radius of my home. Small town mentality !!
Attached Thumbnails What's wrong with my transmission?-mt-82-additive.jpg  
Old 12/1/13, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by HARLEYJOE43
I took mine in to get this MT 82 additive added to my tranny. The Ocala CSR told me they didn't even stock it ! AND if I went and bought it and put it in, my warranty would be VOIDED ! And they are the only one within a 60 mile radius of my home. Small town mentality !!
Where did you find this? How long has it been out? What does it allegedly do? Is this the answer to our crappy shifting MT82s?
Old 12/2/13, 09:12 PM

According to the 2014 Ford Motorcraft 2014 Transmission Fluid Chart a full bottle of XL18 is REQUIRED. See the attachment. BTW this stuff didn't exist when I downloaded and saved the 2012 version of this chart.

I have found that the MT82 transmission is like an overly-thick prophylactic on my intercourse with the otherwise awesome Boss 302.

Ford knows that the MT82 has problems. There were no less than nine running part and process changes to transmission and clutch made from 2010 to 2011, and very probably more that I don't know about after that. I'm just glad they continue to look for ways to improve it.
Attached Files
Old 12/2/13, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Bascially, this QDC fluid (75W) and XL-18 crap was a fluid thinning combination to squelch the criticism of cold weather shifting. As we've all read here and there, it didn't completely do the trick.

Cold weather shifts aren't a problem for me, as I let the car warm up for a few minutes before I roll out of the driveway and baby her for a few miles before I attempt any agressive shifting. I treat any manual tranny the same, regardless of what engine it's bolted to. Tomorrow, I'm going back to the original 75W-90 weight, to experiment in trying to quiet some of the embarrassing and annoying gear rattle. I'll also add a bottle of XL-18 as required by Ford, eventhough I think it's a waste of money.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 12/2/13 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12/2/13, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by F-22
Where did you find this? How long has it been out? What does it allegedly do? Is this the answer to our crappy shifting MT82s?
For a total V-8 tranny fill (2.7 quarts or 86.4 ounces), this .91 ounces of **** thin friction modifier isn't going to improve much of anything for older trannies.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 12/2/13 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12/2/13, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I personally went through all this with Ford Customer Service not longer than a week ago...

The XL-18 additive is only required for a complete service drain and fill. Your 2013 MT-82 already contains XL-18 from the factory. Therefore, you'll simply waste your money if you add another bottle to the existing QDC fluid. And NO, adding another bottle will not void your warranty, but it is not necessary to do so. The main reason why XL-18 is so hard to find is, nobody wants to buy an entire (12) bottle case and their vendors don't want to stock a bunch of it either. A (12) bottle case, costs dealers about $200. Frankly, nobody wants all that additive sitting on a shelf to collect dust. As our trannies are more frequently flushed and filled, the XL-18 will become more widely available. As advised by Ford, I bought a bottle from WWW.CDIAutoParts.Com in Indiana. One other place that they knew of (in TX) had a bottle, but I never asked who they were.

http://www.cdiautoparts.com/Order/Or...e=search&quick= As you see in this link, they're currently out of stock. They promised to have 2 more bottles in a week or so, if you're interested.
Old 12/4/13, 09:32 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi flySWA737,

Hello dakid1000,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You should have your dealer check it out. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 12/4/13, 06:42 PM
GT Member

I wonder how many people with problematic MT82's have replaced, drain/re-filled, with fresh fluid? Just wondering if something 'premium' ...like redline... would make a difference...

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 12/4/13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12/5/13, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MKMotorsport
I wonder how many people with problematic MT82's have replaced, drain/re-filled, with fresh fluid? Just wondering if something 'premium' ...like redline... would make a difference...
I've had the same thought and I think a few guys have changed it. The only challenge you have there is that no manufacturer has a fluid that meets those Ford specs. I contacted Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. a few months ago and was told the same by all of them. So if you put one of those in and the tranny goes kaput, you're screwed, warranty-wise.
Old 12/6/13, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I've had the same thought and I think a few guys have changed it. The only challenge you have there is that no manufacturer has a fluid that meets those Ford specs. I contacted Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. a few months ago and was told the same by all of them. So if you put one of those in and the tranny goes kaput, you're screwed, warranty-wise.
Ford will be tasked to prove the fluid specifically caused internal failure.
Old 12/6/13, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
Ford will be tasked to prove the fluid specifically caused internal failure.
Sure, if it ever got to court, but most people wouldn't take it that far. When the fluid manufacturer themselves says don't use our stuff, that's enough for me.
Old 12/6/13, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Sure, if it ever got to court, but most people wouldn't take it that far. When the fluid manufacturer themselves says don't use our stuff, that's enough for me.
I'm not at all afraid of the fluid change. There are a lot of us out here that has changed to one brand or another. I've yet to hear of anyone that suffered a voided drivetrain warranty specifically due to the brand of fluid they installed. If the MT-82 can't run with a 75W-90 fluid, which is the original recommended and installed weight, the tranny shouldn't be installed in our cars. From what I can find, the Dual Clutch fluid is a straight 75W and was installed by a TSB to help alleviate cold weather shifting complaints.
Old 12/7/13, 01:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
Maybe the grinding buffed off some burrs or something. I don't know what happened, but it certainly seems better for some reason. Weird. Any opinions?
I say, "Grind em till they fit!!!"
Old 12/7/13, 03:10 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
I say, "Grind em till they fit!!!"
HA HA!!!
Old 12/7/13, 04:15 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I think its funny that Ford makes a special fluid just for the MT82. It's just got loads of problems with the design and tolerances. Personally if I was having those problems under warranty, I would drive the hell out of it and forget to clutch a few times. Bust it and get a new one. Fluid ain't gonna fix the issues, just hush them up a little.
Old 12/10/13, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I think its funny that Ford makes a special fluid just for the MT82. It's just got loads of problems with the design and tolerances. Personally if I was having those problems under warranty, I would drive the hell out of it and forget to clutch a few times. Bust it and get a new one. Fluid ain't gonna fix the issues, just hush them up a little.

Ford isn't the only one. I had a 04' Honda Civic that the auto gernaded on a couple times before 100k. They have their own 'speshul' fluid too. Special fluid is only a Band-Aid for an underlying problem, IMHO.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my transmission?