Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What's wrong with my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/13, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with my transmission?

I went out to get some gas and was leaving the gas station. In first gear, I kind of accelerated faster than usual, shifted to 2nd and WHOA! GRINDING. GRINDING. GRINDING. It sounded like I had missed a gear or tried to shift without using the clutch. I did have the SPORT MODE engaged, but I had never heard or felt anything like this since I bought the car new over a year ago.

It has been notchy going from 1st to 2nd for the past six months, especially when the engine is first started. After the first two shifts into 2nd, it usually gets smoother. But this was ridiculous. I'm wondering if it was trying to use the SKIP SHIFT (which I've only encountered about twice since I bought the car) and it was trying to get into 4th instead of 2nd.

I have no clue what happened, but I hope I didn't damage anything. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Mine is a 2012 GT with the MT82 tranny.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Old 4/6/13, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Skip shift only intervenes at slow speeds, Low rpm (1900 or so), so I doubt that has any bearing. Maybe you just screwed up a clutch pedal operation...happens to us all once in a while...maybe just one odd instance.....maybe a sloppy shift...

I would not be concerned until it did it again....but I would be watching for any issues. Then hit up the dealer.
Old 4/6/13, 08:30 PM
GT Member

AzPete - You may be right. I haven't screwed up a shift since I bought the car (almost 9,000 miles on it now) but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that I did. Anything is possible. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. And I agree that it probably wasn't the skip shift feature. That's only invaded my shifting on two occasions since I bought the car.

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully you're right and I didn't screw anything up.
Old 4/6/13, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
AzPete - You may be right. I haven't screwed up a shift since I bought the car (almost 9,000 miles on it now) but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that I did. Anything is possible. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. And I agree that it probably wasn't the skip shift feature. That's only invaded my shifting on two occasions since I bought the car.

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully you're right and I didn't screw anything up.
Have you removed the assist spring yet? Also if the trans is cold shifts are hit or miss. I always shift super slow when cold so maybe that could have played into it.
Old 4/6/13, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Brandon - Assist spring? I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's something new to me.

I agree that when it's cold, this transmission is very "notchy" especially going from 1st to 2nd. But my engine wasn't cold when this happened. Maybe I let off on the clutch too soon or something. I don't know. I've never done that before, but my mind might have wandered into lala land for a few seconds and I just totally forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I'm hoping that's what it was.

Now, tell me about this Assist Spring.
Old 4/7/13, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
If you drive a manual trans car long enough it's going to happen, the dreaded botched/missed shift. Don't fret it bud, even the pros make mistakes from time to time.
Old 4/7/13, 08:32 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yet another thread that I can respond to with three letters!!!! I think I'm up to 20 threads where the simplest and best answer is MGW. Lol

M. G. W.....
Old 4/7/13, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yet another thread that I can respond to with three letters!!!! I think I'm up to 20 threads where the simplest and best answer is MGW. Lol

M. G. W.....
I concur 1 million times!
Old 4/7/13, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

And I can respond to yet another thread with 4-characters, M T 8 2.

These things may shift great for some people, but the simple reality is that the MT82 simply cannot handle the 5.0 engine when it comes to durability, and the only question anyone needs to take bets on is "when" will your MT82 start to give up.

I drove my 2011 GT w/MT82 spiritedly, but almost 85% of the 20k miles driven were on the highway before the input shaft bearing started giving way, only to slowly eat the rest of the transmission up requiring replacement. I never took my 2011 GT to the drag strip or track, all street miles on street tires. Given how I drove it, there should have been zero reasons for it to fail, other than the fact they're underbuilt.

Good luck to you my friend.
Old 4/7/13, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
I concur 1 million times!
+100000000000000000
Old 4/7/13, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brandon - Assist spring? I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's something new to me.

Clutch pedal "soft" and hangs after a WOT pull
Old 4/7/13, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree that when it's cold, this transmission is very "notchy" especially going from 1st to 2nd. But my engine wasn't cold when this happened. Maybe I let off on the clutch too soon or something. I don't know. I've never done that before, but my mind might have wandered into lala land for a few seconds and I just totally forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I'm hoping that's what it was.

Used to help in depressing the clutch, however at higher rpm's the assist springs binds because the master cylinder can't over come it to press the pedal back out. That usually causes the clutch sticking down at high rpm but with it removed the clutch feels much better overall.
Old 4/7/13, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Can we sticky a transmission thread at the top of this section? There's another thread like this day after day and the whining, complaining and debate have been beaten to death.
Old 4/7/13, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to do this tomorrow.
Old 4/7/13, 03:35 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm going to do this tomorrow.
Whine and complain?

Hahaha kidding Steve...
Old 4/7/13, 03:46 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kn7671
And I can respond to yet another thread with 4-characters, M T 8 2.

These things may shift great for some people, but the simple reality is that the MT82 simply cannot handle the 5.0 engine when it comes to durability, and the only question anyone needs to take bets on is "when" will your MT82 start to give up.

I drove my 2011 GT w/MT82 spiritedly, but almost 85% of the 20k miles driven were on the highway before the input shaft bearing started giving way, only to slowly eat the rest of the transmission up requiring replacement. I never took my 2011 GT to the drag strip or track, all street miles on street tires. Given how I drove it, there should have been zero reasons for it to fail, other than the fact they're underbuilt.

Good luck to you my friend.
My friend, though your story is true and tragic, this is not representative of the vast majority of MT 82 owners.

Every large batch of high quality products, be it cars, transmissions, or other products, there will be a specific lot of defective units. This does not specifically mean that the product itself is terrible, but I understand that it would feel that way for those specific people that do have that issue.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/7/13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 4/7/13, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
My friend, though your story is true and tragic, this is not representative of the vast majority of MT 82 owners.
I know, maybe I was a little harsh in my words. Or was I... Time will prove me right or wrong, that's for sure.
Old 4/7/13, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have not heard of many input shaft bearings being the culprit to poor shifting......but time will tell. How many miles since it was rebuilt?
Old 4/7/13, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Ok. I'm the OP on this thread, and I'm sure you're all going to think I've gone crazy when I share this information.

After that horrid, long and painful grinding GRINDING grinding session yesterday during that missed shift, or whatever happened, I drove my GT this morning. As I mentioned, and as is pretty typical with a lot of these MT82 trannys, mine always was noticeably notchy on the first shift into second gear when the engine is cold. This morning, that didn't happen. In fact, my transmission seemed smoother from the start and stayed that way until I got home.

Maybe the grinding buffed off some burrs or something. I don't know what happened, but it certainly seems better for some reason. Weird. Any opinions?
Old 4/7/13, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

If I had a nickel every time MT82 is mentioned on these threads. Defects happen everyday. My family bought four iPhones all at the same time and one turned out to have a faulty Wifi card.

I thought I had problems with my manual till I learned this tranny does not like to be man handled when rowing through the gears. A steady flick of the wrist without a firm grip and she shifts like butter every time. I've had even less shifting mess ups since I got a tune. I blame every shifting issue I have had on myself.

Learn the cars habits and she'll reward you back. It's what I did and I no longer have problems. Every car has its own personality, just have to learn it.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my transmission?