Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What's wrong with my gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/17, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with my gauges?

Long story incoming! I have a 2014 mustang and I'm currently in southeast Texas getting bombarded with rain my car has been sitting since last Friday evening when the storm began. I went outside to move my car back a few feet because the water from my roof was banging onto my hood upon getting into my car I noticed what seemed to be condensation behind my gauges? I went back inside and when it dried a little I went outside to investigate and it's almost as if the numbers look fuzzy? I left my key in the "acc position" and within a few minutes it cleared up I thought nothing of it and went back inside before the rain started up. Next day rolls around which was yesterday and a few of my buddies told me to drive around with air on recirculate to eat up any moisture that had accumulated which I did for about 20-30 mins and it cleared up again in short order I made it back to my house and the car sat in the rain some more and I checked it after a few hours and the same condensation or whatever it is came back. It's driving me nuts I have had this car since last august and it has never done this before and it's driving me nuts because it keeps coming back I'm aware that hurricanes bring tons of humidity but isn't this kind of strange? I'm almost ready to go to a dealer I just don't want to get laughed at lol

Last edited by Nicholas M Jones; 8/29/17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 8/29/17, 12:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I can see why you are concerned, but you might want to wait until the storm system passes and see if the condition persists.
Old 8/29/17, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I can see why you are concerned, but you might want to wait until the storm system passes and see if the condition persists.
Yeah im just confused as to why it's behind my gauges of all places but constant winds and rain will expose anything in a vehicle. It's sat before while I'm at work etc in some hard rain and I have never seen anything but I guess it took awhile for this effect to happen? Even if it did persist after this blows over which I hope it doesn't where would I even start?
Old 8/29/17, 10:40 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Moisture of that amount will surely do weird things. I would not get too excited unless it is still there when things dry out.

Feel for those of you who live in the rath of Harvey. Hope and pray that things settle down soon. Keep you ride high and dry! Good luck.
Old 8/30/17, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Moisture of that amount will surely do weird things. I would not get too excited unless it is still there when things dry out.

Feel for those of you who live in the rath of Harvey. Hope and pray that things settle down soon. Keep you ride high and dry! Good luck.
Would this be a dealer issue ? I'm gonna keep an eye on it over the next few days
Old 8/30/17, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Air on recirculate will keep moisture in the car. Running the AC should condense moisture out of the incoming air, but you might want to run the heat to help get more moisture out.

There's a pair of duck bill valves in the firewall/cowl panel (each side of the engine bay). You might want to check they aren't obstructed. Evergreen needle leaves can get past the covers and plug them up. If they plug up water will fill up the HVAC intake.

The passenger side is easily visible if you've ever removed the cover to replace the cabin air filter. The driver's side is more difficult because removing the driver's side half of the cover would require removing the wiper arms. I usually just pull it out through the engine bay side for inspection/cleaning and reinstall them by feel to make sure they're properly seated.
Old 8/30/17, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by KonaMustangGT
Air on recirculate will keep moisture in the car. Running the AC should condense moisture out of the incoming air, but you might want to run the heat to help get more moisture out.

There's a pair of duck bill valves in the firewall/cowl panel (each side of the engine bay). You might want to check they aren't obstructed. Evergreen needle leaves can get past the covers and plug them up. If they plug up water will fill up the HVAC intake.

The passenger side is easily visible if you've ever removed the cover to replace the cabin air filter. The driver's side is more difficult because removing the driver's side half of the cover would require removing the wiper arms. I usually just pull it out through the engine bay side for inspection/cleaning and reinstall them by feel to make sure they're properly seated.
I removed the valves a while back because they got full of leaves of junk and I could hear water sloshing around when driving so I emptied them and never put them back what exactly should I run the air on then? I was told recirculate and put it on cold to rid any moisture
Old 9/4/17, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas M Jones
I removed the valves a while back because they got full of leaves of junk and I could hear water sloshing around when driving so I emptied them and never put them back what exactly should I run the air on then? I was told recirculate and put it on cold to rid any moisture
I've always done recirculate with the hvac set to defroster/floor (won't let you recirculate on just defroster). Or you could use A/C with recirculate, either way uses the evaporator core, which should help dehumidify like Kona said
Old 9/4/17, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
I've always done recirculate with the hvac set to defroster/floor (won't let you recirculate on just defroster). Or you could use A/C with recirculate, either way uses the evaporator core, which should help dehumidify like Kona said
Ok I haven't had any issues since the storm has gone the heat has been constant the past few days I guess I won't really know for 100% until it rains again
Old 9/5/17, 03:47 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Sounds good so far. Glad it has made the move to the positive. Let us know if you see it again.