Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What in the hell could this noise be?

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/12, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What in the hell could this noise be?

Its hard to hear at first, listen for it in the background (you hear a bit of rattle from the phone's case halfway, ignore that). You're listening for the almost metallic, light paper flapping wind sound in the background. The tapping is the phone moving in its case. Before you start formulating your guesses:

1) It appears around 65MPH, and gets louder as you get to 85mph
2) I think its wind related and less vibration related
3) Its not the seatbelt retractors, speakers, or anything from the rear passenger "deck" forward. I've removed every single interior panel from the car, including the seats, sail panels, rear quarter panels carpet, trim etc.
4) Ford Dealers in my area couldn't give a **** about helping. They blame it on the suspension and walk away (not before asking for a diagnostic fee).

Due to the unibody, its hard to successfully locate where it is. I removed everything from the car, and had a friend drive while I sat in the back area hunting with tools and dynamat in hand.

While the car's suspension is lower, I feel the damping isn't much worse than what the brembo-equipped car came with, and on smooth roads, there's not a vibration that I feel would cause this. Its so loud a noise that I'd almost happily reinstall the stock parts just to prove to a dealer that its still there, unrelated and at least engage them to help.

I've also checked the following:

-Antenna mount
-lower plastic rocker panel (feels a bit loose in the back, but I'm not sure thats it, will wedge a towel in there tonight)
-Suspension components. all are tight and secure. I thought panhard bar and its brace could be culprits, but they're at spec torque.

It drives me fricken insane to the point where I can't stand to drive the car sometimes. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 2/10/12 at 05:44 PM.
Old 2/10/12, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Put something behind the seat to see if it's the rattle. Shim the seat, as it were, perhaps it's the latch causing the problem. More helpful: Does it go away with the seat folded down, and something on it to keep it from bouncing? Put a towel between the back and the bottom to prevent any leather squeaks.

Also, unlatch the seatbelt you have latched back there. I've found that sometimes my buckle on my seat rubs on the seat and causes a noise. Drove me insane until I figured it out. Of course, I'm talking about my front driver's seat buckle... In my case, I sorta have to have it buckled. So I have to move it backwards a little to get it 'off' the actual seat, and voila, no more noise.

It's entirely possible as well that having it latched could cause the retractor to make some kind of noise, so there's that.

I've had the seat back of the passenger seat not be all the way latched into a stop, so it'll rattle... same with the front/back ratchet. Pounding the back *THWACK* will get either to seat and shut the heck up.

Armor all the weatherstrip. The door could be getting sucked out a little, so it rubs and squeaks against the rubber.

Put a sack of potatoes in the seat or something like that, simulate a person and see if it goes away.

Better yet, have someone else drive while you figure it out. You'll NOT find it while driving it yourself, you'll have to start poking and prodding on it while it's in motion.

Beyond that...
Old 2/10/12, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

as mentioned above, I had someone drive me. Also, I had all the seats (sans driver) and interior panels out of the car when we did the test drive. literally bare frame with all the harnesses exposed. Went through and checked all the clips on them. Its definitely coming from that back corner as far as being audible.

I can't imagine what it is, but I know it drives me to insanity.
Old 2/10/12, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Get a leaf blower and have a friend blow around the rear side window and rear window while you're inside with the doors and windows closed. If it's not happening until 65 it may be that there is a small hole in the weather stripping and the wind blowing through it is causing the noise. Also check the piece of plastic that runs along the roof to make sure it's not moving.
Old 2/10/12, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this very same problem. This noise occurs at high speeds...about 70-75mph. It sounds like small pebbles keep hitting the car's metal exterior. The windows will all be tightly closed and this noise will occur. When the speed drops to 60mph the noise stops. It only happens at high speeds, you think it's wind related?
Old 2/10/12, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you sure it's not the license plate frame?

What about something in the trunk? Up around the package shelf?

Is it getting worse? Has it always been there?

I got questions man!
Old 2/10/12, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

audibly it manifests the loudest from the package tray up by the rear sail panel in that corner. From my best guess, its just reverberation in the frame, and the actual noise is either behind (towards trunk, high), or low, (towards axle and suspension pickup points, low). However, with all the interior being out, I did pull some of the body grommets and did not notice any increase in the noise which again makes me think its high.

This noise has come and gone for the last 12 months, and now its here and to stay it seems. I've had the car in twice for "noise coming from passenger rear". In the past they've pointed at the seat belt retractors and the child seat restraint covers. Obviously, with all that gear removed, I've ruled them out.

:/

I wish I could get a dealer to actually look at this versus summarily dismissing me as having a modified mustang. There's a chance that I'm not the only one to run into an issue like this. Hell, it could be a loose fastener just sitting somewhere in the body!
Old 2/12/12, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok..heres another .02...check the black plastic strips on the roof. If I am correct they are held down by double sided tape. I had a similar problem with a Jeep, It drove me freakin' nuts until I realized the one strip was vibrating, at the back edge, at around 65-75 mph. Pulled it up a bit and inserted the double sided trim tape (NAPA has it) under the the edge, trimmed it and all was quiet again.
Old 2/12/12, 12:20 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same sound from my rear window shelf.
Old 2/12/12, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Interesting. Had a dealer look at it?
Old 2/13/12, 12:49 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Its hard to hear at first, listen for it in the background (you hear a bit of rattle from the phone's case halfway, ignore that). You're listening for the almost metallic, light paper flapping wind sound in the background.
Originally Posted by Will3212
I have this very same problem. This noise occurs at high speeds...about 70-75mph. It sounds like small pebbles keep hitting the car's metal exterior.
Originally Posted by Flagstang
Hello members,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis and then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you and help get it resolved.

Deysha
Old 2/13/12, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello members,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis and then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you and help get it resolved.

Deysha
I was turned away at the last two dealer appointments. (Santan ford, Bell Ford)

I'll see if I can find another dealer in the area actually interested in servicing the vehicle. I may try Power Ford North Scottsdale next.
Old 2/13/12, 01:31 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
When I first read that I thought it said Satan ford.
Old 2/13/12, 01:53 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll see if I can find another dealer in the area actually interested in servicing the vehicle. I may try Power Ford North Scottsdale next.
Just keep me posted, CaptDistraction.

Deysha
Old 2/13/12, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Look for a loose fender liner, maybe missing a plastic push-pin or two.
Old 2/14/12, 09:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

good news.

bell ford said they found my rattle in the rear passenger seat belt assembly. They are going to replace it but it will take about a week for the part to get in.
Old 2/15/12, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll take mine in. I cannot find the **** thing, although I could rule it out by removing the belt assembly.

Maybe since they were able to help you, they'll be more receptive to me bringing mine in for the same thing.
Old 2/15/12, 07:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I hope they can help.
Old 2/17/12, 11:00 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I was working with mike and manager guy.
Old 2/17/12, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched this the other day and thought dang that would drive me nuts. Now today I'm driving home from the auto show and just got off the phone via sync. The whole time I was hearing a clicking I thought was the connection of the call. I got off the phone and wouldn't you know I have this same annoyance coming from the same area. I'll try and investigate it this weekend.

Quick Reply: What in the hell could this noise be?