Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

water leak on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/18, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
water leak on passenger side

Not sure if this has been covered but recently I noticed condensation inside my windows every morning. On a whim I checked the drivers side carpets front and rear. Well both were soaked. Up front the mat was wet, but the carpet itself was soaked. I used as shop vac to suck majority of moisture out of the car and to "blow dry" the carpets as much as I could. I pulled of the passenger side plastic cowl (same as you do to replace the cabin filter) to see what was going on. The cabin filter was soaking wet!. When I looked in the space below the cabin filter opening I saw that it was dry. when I looked closer I saw what looked like a large oval shaped grommet. Long story short there are two drains under the plastic cowl. one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side These drains look like large flat tubes. When I checked the passenger side (it popped out easily) it was blocked solid with fine debris and mud like substance. After replacing it I noticed you could see the bottom of the "tube" from the engine bay. When I looked on the drivers side I saw the identical drain. When I check that one by opening the flat tube with my hand it was dirty but not clogged. I pulled it downward and out. I hosed it completely clean like I did the other one. The drain is soft rubber so you can squeeze it and put it back in. just be sure it is snapped in. Well we have had huge amounts of rain here in NJ and so far no leaks.
After I did the work I you tubed the problem and sure enough its fairly common. Keep in mind I have had my Mustang since 2012 and it too this long to clog the drain. What happens is when the drain clogs the water collects in the "valley" in front of the cabin filter. lf it is enough, and we have had rain recently at the rate of 2 to 3 inches in 30 minutes, it overflows into the cabin filter and into the cabin.

My advice is for every one to check these drains. you do not have the remove the plastic cowls to do this. they are back by the firewall and easily seen with good light. they are made of soft rubber so you just have to open them from the bottom to make sure they are clean. if they are blocked you can remove, clean and replace from the engine bay.

Sorry for the long post, I keep thinking had I know about this issue I would have been checking the drains at least annually. Hope this save some of you from the same problem.
Old 8/5/18, 04:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the tip...
Old 8/5/18, 07:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Had the same problem in my 2005 and took me a while to find the source. I took the grommets and threw them out and never had any issues since!