Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Traction Control light comes on when wheel is turned

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/15, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction Control light comes on when wheel is turned

Every time I turn the wheel all the way to the right, and back up, the traction control light and chimes come on. If I continue to drive forward, the brakes act strange. It feels like it is pumping them like when the ABS in engaged. When I turn the car off, and back on, the lights go away and the car drives as normal. Any thoughts? The ford service advisor told me it would cost A LOT of money to diagnose since they have to go through everything to figure out what it is. Is this a connection that comes loose when I turn the wheel all the way to the right?
Old 3/12/15, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

First, I must assume you have a '10, '11 or early '12, because April '12 and up Mustangs are still under the 3 year warranty and this is a zero cost fix for those, unless of course, you have more than 36,000 miles.

So assuming that you're outta warranty...

Probably one of the two ABS sensors on the front wheels, maybe a line cut or short or something. Being as it's the turn to the right, the two likeliest is that the line is being stretched on the left ABS sensor, or pinched on the right ABS sensor, given the symptoms.

You should be able to go to a nearby parts store, such as Autozone, and get them to read the codes for you. I assume it can be done without the car moving? With that code you'll get the answer you need, likely.

But consider this:

Front wheel sensors at Rock Auto.

As but one example. They're not terribly expensive, and you can use one to check both sides. They're held in place by 1 bolt, one christmas tree clip and the wiring clip. Easy peasy, can almost do it without the wheel comin' off or even jacking the car up. And you'd have a spare at the least, and can just keep it until you need it.

But get the codes read first. That's your best bet.

And yes, Ford will get a quite a few dollars for what I just told ya.

Last edited by houtex; 3/12/15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 10:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by superstang03
Every time I turn the wheel all the way to the right, and back up, the traction control light and chimes come on. If I continue to drive forward, the brakes act strange. It feels like it is pumping them like when the ABS in engaged. When I turn the car off, and back on, the lights go away and the car drives as normal. Any thoughts? The ford service advisor told me it would cost A LOT of money to diagnose since they have to go through everything to figure out what it is. Is this a connection that comes loose when I turn the wheel all the way to the right?
Hello superstang03,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you address this with your Ford Dealer. Be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Also, remember most paid repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Deysha