Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ticking noise - help diagnose (video)

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12 | 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ticking noise - help diagnose (video)

I'm at a loss. Installed the JLT intake, Boss manifold, and lethal offroad X a couple weeks ago.

I have a metallic/tick that I cannot figure out where it's coming from. I checked all joints in the exhaust (manifold to axle back) and all are super tight. Sprayed some water around the joints and no bubbles or anything.

While under the car, I can't pinpoint the origin.

Any ideas? Hopefully the video quality is good enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCvV...e_gdata_player
Old 1/20/12 | 02:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
I'm at a loss. Installed the JLT intake, Boss manifold, and lethal offroad X a couple weeks ago.

I have a metallic/tick that I cannot figure out where it's coming from. I checked all joints in the exhaust (manifold to axle back) and all are super tight. Sprayed some water around the joints and no bubbles or anything.

While under the car, I can't pinpoint the origin.

Any ideas? Hopefully the video quality is good enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCvV...e_gdata_player
Check the other vids on youtube. The "tick" has been known about for awhile.

As far as I know it's normal and your car is fine. It is quite annoying though
Old 1/20/12 | 02:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interesting. Because I don't hear it in other's videos who have the same setup. So it's normal?!
Old 1/20/12 | 03:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

does it sound like the tick in this video?

That's what I'm referring to
Old 1/20/12 | 03:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
does it sound like the tick in this video?

2011 5.0 Mustang engine TICK after oil change - YouTube

That's what I'm referring to
yep that's it exactly
Old 1/20/12 | 03:42 PM
MOTM Committee Member

yep that's it exactly
Ok then yeah. Just make sure your oil level is okay and you should be good. There were some threads on it awhile back, you can search for those for some peace of mind.

Mine does it occasionally, but from what I've read/heard there's nothing wrong
Old 1/20/12 | 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine does it as well. Nothing to worry about.
Old 1/20/12 | 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Ok then yeah. Just make sure your oil level is okay and you should be good. There were some threads on it awhile back, you can search for those for some peace of mind.

Mine does it occasionally, but from what I've read/heard there's nothing wrong
But the guy posting that video says AFTER OIL CHANGE how could there be not enough?
Old 1/21/12 | 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine does this too. Mustang mechanic at the dealer told me its normal operation for the 5.0.
Old 1/21/12 | 01:59 PM

There is a additive they put in the oil they did this from the factory so when you change your oil you hear this tick it has something to do with your cams resetting after wot
Old 1/21/12 | 02:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

What i'm hearing is the infamous tick amplified by your off road x pipe. I say don't worry about it. I have it too, but to as lesser level.
Old 1/21/12 | 07:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by TOGAN
But the guy posting that video says AFTER OIL CHANGE how could there be not enough?
No I'm not saying that's the cause of this. I was more saying as long as he knows his engine has enough oil (he's already checked for exhaust leaks) then he knows his motor is fine.

It's an annoying but normal sound for the new 5.0
Old 1/21/12 | 07:37 PM
V6 Member

Cam tune don't help it sounds just like long tube headers
Old 1/23/12 | 02:23 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

I have a metallic/tick that I cannot figure out where it's coming from.
Interesting. Because I don't hear it in other's videos who have the same setup. So it's normal?!
Hello SurfnSoCal,

I think you should still check with your Ford dealer to make sure everything is working as it should. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 3/24/12 | 02:00 AM

Had this exact same sound in my 11' 5.0. Dealer did TSB 12-3-1. From what I can tell it is pretty robust, alot removed and replaced. Dealer had mine for 3 weeks noise is gone.
Old 3/24/13 | 11:58 AM

2011 Engine ticking valve type noise

I have read most post on this topic. I just picked up 2011 gt with 24K miles. After owning it a few weeks I have noticed a ticking sound that appears to be coming from driver side of motor area.

It is not always present and seems to come and go especially when the car is warmed up. Tried turning off the air to see if any change and none.

For those who have this issue is it there all the time or does it seem to come and go as what I have experienced.

Want to change filter and oil and just wondering if I should go to a heavier weight oil rather than stock 0-20W. I live in Southeast FL so not any real cold weather.

Other than going to the dealer not sure what else can be done.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Ft Lauderdale area
Old 3/25/13 | 05:05 PM

Update on ticking sound

Took the car into Ford Dealer today.

At first they could not duplicate noise. When I went to start it to leave there was the noise. Went and got the service adviser and he heard noise. Lucky there was a regional Ford tech at the dealer and he took it back into the shop and agreed there is a "noise".. He was thinking some type of selenoid.

Service adviser came back to me and briefly showed me a bunch of parts being ordered including the belt tentioner and other parts that looked like some gaskets for the heads?. They will call me tomorrow once they have all the parts and he told me they would have it for at least a day.

I am excited that at least they heard the noise and are going to take some action under warranty. Let's just hope this fixes it.

Will update you guys with status.

PS: They did TSB on lower ball joints that were crunching over speed bumps. This appears to have been fixed!

Regards,
Jake 80
Old 4/3/13 | 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by jake80
Took the car into Ford Dealer today.
At first they could not duplicate noise. When I went to start it to leave there was the noise. Went and got the service adviser and he heard noise. Lucky there was a regional Ford tech at the dealer and he took it back into the shop and agreed there is a "noise".. He was thinking some type of selenoid.
Service adviser came back to me and briefly showed me a bunch of parts being ordered including the belt tentioner and other parts that looked like some gaskets for the heads?. They will call me tomorrow once they have all the parts and he told me they would have it for at least a day.
I am excited that at least they heard the noise and are going to take some action under warranty. Let's just hope this fixes it.

Will update you guys with status.
Congrats on the new ride, jake80! Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 8/27/13 | 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Ok, droped back off to the dealer today. Found out this afternoon that the Ford Rep is coming in tomorrow to look at it. Hopefully he or she can figure out this **** Tick.
Old 8/28/13 | 07:18 AM
V6 Member

Ok, finally talked to the Service Writer. He says they don't hear anything abnormal. Are they deaf or maybe don't know what an engine is supposed to sound like. I will try to post up the recording I did today.

Think it's time to bring this to a better dealership.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise - help diagnose (video)