Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

A tear noise in my front passenger side woofer.

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/11, 12:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tear noise in my front passenger side woofer.

Hi. I have a 2012 mustang premium with the 500 watt shaker system. I have 5000 miles on the car. Today when I was driving with the radio on I heard a tear noise coming from the front passenger side woofer. It occurs when the song has a lot of bass. The front driver side woofer seems fine. I put my ear close to the bad woofer and there is a tear noise coming from the woofer speaker. All the other speakers seem fine. Is this something I can fix myself? should I just upgrade the 2 front woofer speakers and pay out of pocket? or should i make an appointment with the dealer to try and get it replaced under warranty. 1 more thing, sometimes people would close the passenger door hard when they close it, will slamming the door effect anything such as the speaker. I'd like to replace the 2 stock sub woofers in the front, what are the dimensions of them and do you have any recommendations?

Last edited by Will3212; 12/26/11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12/26/11, 07:12 AM
V6 Member

Sounds like a blown woofer, and I'd just have the dealer replace it unless you wanted to spend the money to upgrade to the Shelby / Kicker door subs.
Old 12/26/11, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would have them replace it. Then if you want to upgrade them that's up to you. That will give you a set you can sell, re-install at a later date, or use in a different car.
Old 12/26/11, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer should cover that. I always have to adjust the bass settings between radio and streaming music via Bluetooth. You might want to check that, sometimes the signal is stronger which will cause the speaker to "fart" or make a tearing noise when there's too much bass.
Old 12/26/11, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mycroft
Sounds like a blown woofer, and I'd just have the dealer replace it unless you wanted to spend the money to upgrade to the Shelby / Kicker door subs.
I looked into those shelby door subs and it only has the options for 2005-2009 then an option for 2010, will they fit in a 2012? Also, I would have to have it installed at a car audio shop right, how difficult is the installation?
Old 12/26/11, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Will3212
I looked into those shelby door subs and it only has the options for 2005-2009 then an option for 2010, will they fit in a 2012? Also, I would have to have it installed at a car audio shop right, how difficult is the installation?
2010 fits the 2012. I have them.

The install is VERY easy. I would not pay to have them installed.
Old 12/26/11, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
2010 fits the 2012. I have them.

The install is VERY easy. I would not pay to have them installed.
it's good to hear it's very easy but I really don't know what I'm doing for I'll try to pay just like $20 for a professional installation. So you have them right? how are they compared to the stock shaker 500 door subs? I think there are certain very low bass songs that the stock shaker 500 door subs can't handle. It distorts or has that 'fart' noise.
Old 12/26/11, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

by the way if anyone lives in the new york city area and can help me install the woofers it'll be appreciated. I can throw in some money too $30-$40
Old 12/26/11, 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

They're not as boomy as the stockers and are much tighter. You will lose some low low bass volume with the lack of boomyness though.

I like them, but others do not. It's a personal preference.
Old 12/27/11, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
They're not as boomy as the stockers and are much tighter. You will lose some low low bass volume with the lack of boomyness though.

I like them, but others do not. It's a personal preference.
I see, so did you change the back woofers too or just the two woofers in the front? Cause if I just get the pair of shelby woofers for the front the back will still have the stock woofers, that's fine right?
Old 12/27/11, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

The Shaker 500 does not have back woofers. It has front door speakers, rear shelf speakers, and front door woofers.

I changed the front door speakers and woofers, and left the stock rear shelf speakers in place.
Old 12/27/11, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mike are you running those off the stock head unit?
Old 1/10/12, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Dealer should cover that. I always have to adjust the bass settings between radio and streaming music via Bluetooth. You might want to check that, sometimes the signal is stronger which will cause the speaker to "fart" or make a tearing noise when there's too much bass.
that's interesting, I never adjusted my bass setting when switching from radio to blue tooth music stream. When the bass is set lower there is no "tear noise". Will adding dynamat in the doors help? how can I take care of this problem so that I get more bass without the 'fart' noise?
Old 1/10/12, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

that's interesting, I never adjusted my bass setting when switching from radio to blue tooth music stream. When the bass is set lower there is no "tear noise". Will adding dynamat in the doors help? how can I take care of this problem so that I get more bass without the 'fart' noise?
Dynamat helps with vibrations, not speaker distortion. Only way to stop that is new speakers...or turn the bass down. I leave my bass at about 3 clicks + from middle and the sound is just right. I listen to everything from techno to country off of di.fm and Pandora app via Bluetooth and the sound is perfect. It's not a wake the neighbors bass system, but it's sufficient for me.

Keep in mind, the longer you listen to it "farting", the less the speaker will last till it eventually blows or permanently does it. If you need more bass, you might want to look into a powered sub for the trunk. I had one but it was overkill for me.
Old 1/10/12, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Dynamat helps with vibrations, not speaker distortion. Only way to stop that is new speakers...or turn the bass down. I leave my bass at about 3 clicks + from middle and the sound is just right. I listen to everything from techno to country off of di.fm and Pandora app via Bluetooth and the sound is perfect. It's not a wake the neighbors bass system, but it's sufficient for me.

Keep in mind, the longer you listen to it "farting", the less the speaker will last till it eventually blows or permanently does it. If you need more bass, you might want to look into a powered sub for the trunk. I had one but it was overkill for me.
I see, I'm going to try just +3 to the bass, thanks. by the way you have dynamat in your doors? if so, was it a big improvement?
Old 1/11/12, 12:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Will you jinxed me....my passenger door now rattles.
Old 1/11/12, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Will you jinxed me....my passenger door now rattles.
it's weird like for me it's ONLY the passenger door and not the driver door. It's just like what you're experiencing. What are you planning to do? I bought dynamat on amazon and they're on there way I'm letting my local shop put it in
Old 1/11/12, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I would try fading 2-3 to the back and also make sure you don't have anything in the door shelves because anything and i mean anything in there will make it rattle and sound like a blown speaker.
Old 1/11/12, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

it's weird like for me it's ONLY the passenger door and not the driver door. It's just like what you're experiencing. What are you planning to do? I bought dynamat on amazon and they're on there way I'm letting my local shop put it in
Let me know how it turns out.. I might try that. You know it's not too hard to do it yourself. What's your shop charging?
Old 1/12/12, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me know how it turns out.. I might try that. You know it's not too hard to do it yourself. What's your shop charging?
I asked 1 shop and he said it's $350 per door, he plans to take out everything including the regulator, all wires, and just strip down the whole door to put in the dynamat. I saw an ad on craiglist about a mobile mechanic who specializes in audio who wants to do it for $50. I'm going to take the gamble with the mobile mechanic cause the audio shops charge too much.

Quick Reply: A tear noise in my front passenger side woofer.