Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sync not working at all?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/15, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync not working at all?

I'm bummed.
My 2013 GT Mustang has the basic Sync system in it and it has worked pretty much flawlessly since I've owned the car.

Until Monday...

As of Monday the controls on the steering wheel for calling as well as the "Phone" button on the radio do nothing. If I push the "AUX" button on the Radio it will display "SYNC" on the display for a brief second and return to FM Radio.

Although this isn't my clip. My symptoms are exactly like those on this Youtube video:

I have tried doing the fuse pull for Sync and that didn't work. Fuse is good as I tried turning the car on without the fuse once and after Pressing "AUX" "Sync" didn't come up on the display at all, it just stayed in FM Radio Mode.
I have also tried disconnecting the battery. Made no difference besides loosing all of my preset stations.

Last but not least I tried to do a master reset by uploading the latest software revision to a USB stick. I unzipped the files, saved them to the USB stick and plugged the thumb drive into the cars USB port with the car running in Park, doors shut. Nothing. The radio never made any kind of acknowledgement that the thumb drive was in the USB port.

I have also tried to plug my Iphone 6 directly into the USB port with a USB cable and it did nothing.

This was working fine just one day earlier.
I'm stumped.

Worried though I'm going to get hosed by Ford. My car has a 5 year, 36,000 mile warranty. I'm still within the years, but my mileage is at 50k as this was originally my company car the first year of ownership and I put 35K miles on it pretty quickly.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. If someone had to have this fixed through Ford. What was the resolve and what did it cost.
Old 4/29/15, 03:05 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HassellCastle
I'm bummed.
My 2013 GT Mustang has the basic Sync system in it and it has worked pretty much flawlessly since I've owned the car.

Until Monday...

As of Monday the controls on the steering wheel for calling as well as the "Phone" button on the radio do nothing. If I push the "AUX" button on the Radio it will display "SYNC" on the display for a brief second and return to FM Radio.

Although this isn't my clip. My symptoms are exactly like those on this Youtube video:
Ford Sync problems - YouTube

I have tried doing the fuse pull for Sync and that didn't work. Fuse is good as I tried turning the car on without the fuse once and after Pressing "AUX" "Sync" didn't come up on the display at all, it just stayed in FM Radio Mode.
I have also tried disconnecting the battery. Made no difference besides loosing all of my preset stations.

Last but not least I tried to do a master reset by uploading the latest software revision to a USB stick. I unzipped the files, saved them to the USB stick and plugged the thumb drive into the cars USB port with the car running in Park, doors shut. Nothing. The radio never made any kind of acknowledgement that the thumb drive was in the USB port.

I have also tried to plug my Iphone 6 directly into the USB port with a USB cable and it did nothing.

This was working fine just one day earlier.
I'm stumped.

Worried though I'm going to get hosed by Ford. My car has a 5 year, 36,000 mile warranty. I'm still within the years, but my mileage is at 50k as this was originally my company car the first year of ownership and I put 35K miles on it pretty quickly.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. If someone had to have this fixed through Ford. What was the resolve and what did it cost.
Hi HassellCastle,

You've already attempted a lot of great troubleshooting steps. From your description, I'm not sure if the master reset was done correctly. If your system will allow a master reset to be performed, follow these steps to complete it: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...ter-reset.html

If you're unable to complete the master reset, I recommend scheduling an appointment at your dealership in order to get this resolved.

Kim
Old 4/29/15, 03:09 PM

I have tried doing the Master Reset.
However I am stuck at Step 1 "Press Aux Button" and select Sync. Pressing the Aux button briefly (only a couple of seconds) shows Sync on the Radio Display and reverts back to FM Radio.

It is like I am locked out of the Sync features of the car completely.

Watch the Youtube video in my top post and you will see what happens when the guy in the video pushes the "Aux" button. Mine does the same thing. I can not even get to Sync as it is locked out.

Last edited by HassellCastle; 4/29/15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 4/29/15, 04:00 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have tried doing the Master Reset.
However I am stuck at Step 1 "Press Aux Button" and select Sync. Pressing the Aux button briefly (only a couple of seconds) shows Sync on the Radio Display and reverts back to FM Radio.

It is like I am locked out of the Sync features of the car completely.

Watch the Youtube video in my top post and you will see what happens when the guy in the video pushes the "Aux" button. Mine does the same thing. I can not even get to Sync as it is locked out.
In that case, I recommend having your dealership take a closer look. If you happen to gain the functionality of the VOICE COMMAND button on your steering wheel (before the dealership visit), give the voice command SYNC and you may be able to get into the correct menu and perform the master reset.

Let me know if anything changes!

Kim
Old 4/30/15, 09:53 AM

We'll I just returned from the dealership and I'm screwed. I think the quote should have included a tube of KY Jelly.

I was told that the APIM unit has went bad and needs to be replaced. They quoted me $1195 for parts and labor to replace the unit.

Geez, looks like my Bluetooth functions may be a thing of the past. I'd like to know if this OEM part can be sourced somewhere other than a dealership as I know they grossly overprice their parts for high margins and if it can be installed by a different certified mechanic.

Bummed.....
Old 4/30/15, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Easy... here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Mustang-5-0-Sync-Communication-module-CR3T-14B428-AC-/171748414345?hash=item27fd00d389&vxp=mtr
You can swap that thing in like 10 minutes. Remove the glove box, and you can get to it easily...

LEXiiON
Old 4/30/15, 12:13 PM

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the one on Ebay, $50 is a lot better than $1200 from Dealership. Are there any instructions on line or on this site that show how to get to the module. I'm not afraid of tools, but I've never had to tear apart my car to replace something such as this.
Old 4/30/15, 12:48 PM

Next question. Has anyone ever installed a used Sync into their vehicle with success?
The reason I ask is that I'm searching all over the internet looking for "how to" installation guides on replacing the Sync Module (APIM) myself. I ended up on a Ford Focus Forum and someone was looking at replacing theirs.
The said they spoke to a Ford Dealership mechanic and he was told that you can not swap out a Sync Unit from a wrecked out car as each one is tied into the cars VIN number and it will not work. Is their truth to this, or was he just blowing smoke to get that person to buy and have them install a new one?
Old 4/30/15, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

crazitj retrofitted one. Jim swapped his out with a different for testing. No issues reported.
The SYNC module isright above the glove box. Use a 7mm socket to remove the 4 bolts for the glove box. Look underneath and you see the SYNC module. Unplug all connectors and remove the 4 bolts that hold the SYNC in place. Reverse for install

LEXiiON
Old 4/30/15, 01:59 PM

LEXiion thank you much for all of your help and suggestions. I think what I'm going to do tonight is see how easy it is to get to my non-working module. I may even remove it just to get that step out of the way prior to purchasing the one on eBay.

I will say though, Looking these up on Ebay. I'm seeing 3 different part numbers that say they work on my car? I figure if I look at mine I can see what part number it is before making a purchase.

My Mustang is a 2013, Automatic GT 5.0 with the basic Sync system.

Part numbers I'm seeing online that say they are compatible, although I question if they are all or not are:
CR3T-14B428-AC
9L3T-14D212-BC
AR3T-14B428-BE
Old 4/30/15, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

LEXiion thank you much for all of your help and suggestions. I think what I'm going to do tonight is see how easy it is to get to my non-working module. I may even remove it just to get that step out of the way prior to purchasing the one on eBay.

I will say though, Looking these up on Ebay. I'm seeing 3 different part numbers that say they work on my car? I figure if I look at mine I can see what part number it is before making a purchase.

My Mustang is a 2013, Automatic GT 5.0 with the basic Sync system.

Part numbers I'm seeing online that say they are compatible, although I question if they are all or not are:
CR3T-14B428-AC
9L3T-14D212-BC
AR3T-14B428-BE
2013 is CR3T so go with that one. There are differences between the years.
AR3T is 2010-2012
9L3T is 2009
Old 5/11/15, 02:51 PM

Hi all, I just wanted to post a quick follow up on this. Most especially in case others run into this issue as well in the future.

The engineering part as shown on my Sync/APIM module is #DR3T-14B428-AC
Unfortunately there are no used one's on Ebay at this time. This crosses over to the new part# DR3Z-14D212-AA.

I went ahead and ordered a new one from Auto Nation Ford as per recommended by LEXiiON at a cost of $277 plus shipping. I had to send my old one into Auto Nation Ford or be subject to a $300 core charge. I'm now just waiting for the new OEM one to arrive.

LEXiiON you were right. My gawd was it easy to remove. I had it out of my car in less than 10 minutes.

More news to follow once I get the new one installed. I've been forewarned by Auto Nation Ford that it may need to be programmed as he stated that is something only a dealership will do. Hopefully I can get out relatively cheap on that since I've done the labor myself and installed the new part.

I hope to have the new one later this week.

Man I never realized how much I miss Pandora and using the Bluetooth on my phone until now. It sucks.
Old 5/11/15, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
crazitj retrofitted one. Jim swapped his out with a different for testing. No issues reported.
The SYNC module isright above the glove box. Use a 7mm socket to remove the 4 bolts for the glove box. Look underneath and you see the SYNC module. Unplug all connectors and remove the 4 bolts that hold the SYNC in place. Reverse for install

LEXiiON
For this they were going to charge you $1195.

Does corporate America even wonder why so many people despise them? And rightly so.
Old 5/11/15, 03:38 PM

Agreed 3point7!!!!!
It's total BS. It sickens my stomach at how bad Town East Ford in Mesquite, Texas was blatantly trying to take advantage of me.

I've already talked to the service manager and gave him a piece of my mind. I told him I know how the world works and every business is in business to make money. But there is a difference between making money and blatantly taking advantage of a customer. All he kept saying was bring your car back and will take a look at it. I told him, he could eat a d*** and I would be sure to spread the word to all those that I know that Town East Ford in Mesquite takes advantage of their clients if they can.

Last edited by HassellCastle; 5/11/15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 5/11/15, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed 3point7!!!!!
It's total BS. It sickens my stomach at how bad Town East Ford in Mesquite, Texas was blatantly trying to take advantage of me.

I've already talked to the service manager and gave him a piece of my mind. I told him I know how the world works and every business is in business to make money. But there is a difference between making money and blatantly taking advantage of a customer. All he kept saying was bring your car back and will take a look at it. I told him, he could eat a d*** and I would be sure to spread the word to all those that I know that Town East Ford in Mesquite takes advantage of their clients if they can.
Might as well add just about every car dealership in the country to that list while you're at it. The overall manufacturing automotive brands as well.
Old 5/27/15, 03:25 PM

Well I just wanted to follow up on this and bring it to a close.
Purchased a new Sync Module online for $286 shipped. Dealership I bought it from online required me to return my non-working Sync or be subject to a $300 core charge. I had no problem with that as it was going to end up in the garbage anyways.

Sync Module arrived yesterday and I installed it back into my car in a matter of minutes. At first glance it didn't seem to work and was showing the same issues. However once I plugged my iPhone directly into the USB port in my car, it brought up the Sync menu and allowed me to gain access to the Sync functions on the car through the radio controls. I was able to Pair my phone to my car, download my address book and even listen to audio (Pandora/podcasts, etc.) through Blue tooth however the phone functions were still not working correctly. The phone functions on my steering wheel and the microphone near my rear view mirror were disabled. I tried pairing a different phone and same issue. Another attempt to troubleshoot is I had my wife call my phone while I was in the car. My phone rang through my car speakers, but I couldn't answer it.

Result was I took my car to the Ford Dealership this morning (a different one!) Randall Reed Ford in Garland, Texas and explained to them that I had installed a new Sync Module and I figured it needed to be reprogrammed. They explained it was more than just installing the USB drive update but to where they hooked a computer up to my car. They did the reprogramming for $120 and I'm back in business! Working line a champ now!!!

Big thanks to everyone here on the board that helped me out with this.
Old 8/28/15, 04:46 AM

Same issue

I have the same exact issue, however they said that i also needed a brackett. Told me 1200 dollars to replace it. Im thinking about purchasing it on ebay for 125. So all the ford dealerships are quoting the same price.... for a 125 dollar piece and labor. You can get the software update online and download it to a usb drive so you dont have to take it to the dealership. Just cant remember the site name where i got it.
Old 9/13/15, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Good read, Currently my sync is only partially working I can listen to the radio and play music via the usb but the music either skips or gets choppy. Whenever I attempt to pair my iPhone via Bluetooth I get a pairing error, even my voice commands don't work. I speak but nothing is apparently registering to the mic/radio. If I can save myself from paying $1200 for the module and install that'll be great.
Old 2/6/17, 08:55 AM

Thank you for the info here!

The Sync in my 2011 Mustang died - the USB wire got 'cut' by the glovebox latch, which caused it to short, and burn the Sync. I want to avoid having to pay the $1200 that the dealership is asking for.

A few questions please:

1. I managed to get to the sync module above the glovebox, but I was unable to remove the big, long connector (as seen in the first picture). Does anybody know how to remove it? Also, there are three wires 'coming' to the Sync module, but only 2 of them were connected (as seen in the second picture). Does anyone know what the 3rd wire is?

2. Has anyone successfully replaced a dead Sync with one of those from ebay? I have found one with the same part number, but I am worried that if it has already been connected to a different VIN number, it won't be usable in my car.

Thank you all very much for any input in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Sync not working at all?-img_0099.jpg   Sync not working at all?-img_0846.jpg  
Old 2/24/17, 07:58 AM

I finally replaced my failed Sync and thought I'd write an update for people who face the same problem.

I ended up getting a used Sync module from eBay with the same serial# for $30. Installation was straightforward except for removing the large (54-pin) connector.

And to top it off, everything seems to work properly without having the dealership reprogram Sync as some people previously suggested.

Quick Reply: Sync not working at all?