Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sudden 2010 "cold" shift issue TR3650

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/11, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden 2010 "cold" shift issue TR3650 (Fixed under warranty)

OK, its not exactly cold here yet, but, starting the other day my car doesn't want to go into reverse (to back out of the garage) or shift into first, without seriously forcing it. The problem seems to go away after driving for 20 minutes, but still feels clunky 1st to 2nd. There isn't any grinding or noise....just will not go in without great effort. Hell, even after she sat at work for 8 hours in 70 degree temps, she wouldn't go into first.

I don't abuse or race the car BTW. It's still under warranty, but was wondering what may be going on here. I don't want the runaround from the dealer. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Problem resolved....read a few posts below......

Last edited by crescent_wrench; 10/29/11 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10/19/11, 06:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you sure you don't have an '11?

Old 10/19/11, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure a lot of '11 owners would be real happy to trade in their MT82 transmissions for your TR3650. Seriously, i say just bring it in man, your still under warranty i suppose.
Old 10/20/11, 09:23 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sure it'll always be a little tougher when it's cold. But if it's really that difficult, then just bring it in. That's what warranties are for...Use it while you got it.
Old 10/20/11, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bringing it in Monday. Service rep says it sounds like a fluid issue because the problem goes away after driving for awhile. I'll post what they come back with.
Old 10/20/11, 12:55 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
OK, its not exactly cold here yet, but, starting the other day my car doesn't want to go into reverse (to back out of the garage) or shift into first, without seriously forcing it. The problem seems to go away after driving for 20 minutes, but still feels clunky 1st to 2nd. There isn't any grinding or noise....just will not go in without great effort. Hell, even after she sat at work for 8 hours in 70 degree temps, she wouldn't go into first.
Bringing it in Monday.
Hi crescent_wrench,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to escalate this for you and help get it resolved. Please PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 10/28/11, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi crescent_wrench,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to escalate this for you and help get it resolved. Please PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info.

Deysha
Deysha, Thanks for the interest in my situation. I wanted to wait before getting you involved. In the end, it all worked out, but it got off to a bad start.....

I took it to Dealer "A" first. They had the car for a day and called me to say they hate to be the bringer of bad news.....but "your clutch is shot and it will cost you $1800.....and its not covered under warranty. SO "can we get started?" "We need to pull the tranny...."

I told them they're nuts and I'll be by to pick up my car....don't touch it. I knew they were lying to me and just wanted to get into my wallet.

I then took the car to Don Jenkins's Carolina Ford. I had them verify that the car was shifting fine when I drove up....but told them that won't be the case in the morning when it's cold. They let the car sit over night to see the problem. The next afternoon, they called me to let me know the problem was the Clutch Slave Master Cylinder.....and it was covered by warranty. This is a $100 part. My clutch was fine. They didn't even need to drop the transmission.

My car has never shifted better....like a hot knife through butter. Also, the pedal is firmer, and more linear. Grabs much higher. They said a seal had failed and there was air in the hydraulic system. They said they see this happen from time to time and its one of the first things to look for when a car has the symptoms I was suffering from.

Anyway, to make a long story short, be careful....there are sharks out there. I bet some folks would have trusted them and pulled out their Visa. Not me. I can't wait to confront the service manager next week. Crazy thing is....he told me that if they got into the tranny and found the clutch was not the problem, I'd have to pay the labor to put it back together. Baloney.
Old 10/28/11, 07:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Unreal, good move on your part. I'd be recording the conversation with my i-phone when you go meet that service manager and put it on youtube.
Old 10/28/11, 11:02 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Agreed, good move on your part. Always have another dealer check it, if you suspect bull****. Sounds like they didn't have a clue and wanted to just start replacing things, and see what worked...and charge *you* for it.
Old 11/1/11, 08:18 AM

Deysha, Thanks for the interest in my situation. I wanted to wait before getting you involved. In the end, it all worked out, but it got off to a bad start.....
I’m glad to hear you are enjoying your Mustang again, crescent_wrench! I am concerned about your comments regarding your experience with dealer “A”. Please PM me your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can get your experience and concerns documented for you.

Deysha
Old 11/1/11, 09:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always had a hard time getting into reverse on a cold start, I just go into other forward gears first, then it slide right in.

try 3rd, 4th, then reverse.
Old 11/1/11, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I’m glad to hear you are enjoying your Mustang again, crescent_wrench! I am concerned about your comments regarding your experience with dealer “A”. Please PM me your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can get your experience and concerns documented for you.

Deysha
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 11/2/11, 06:35 AM

PM sent. Thanks!
Thanks! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha