Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Repeat clutch issue on my car...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/11, 08:20 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard of people in the past buying a aftermarket clutch and having ford pay the install costs.
Old 10/3/11, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Do you guys mind if we chat about clutches in here?
My car kinda needs one.

Take the FCS bashing to another thread.

I'll call the dealer, but if I'm out there on my own, has anyone had experience 1) with the replacement and what's involved (hoping straightforward) 2) what kind of damage I might actually have and 3) what kits out there work for my application?

Call your dealership and have them flat bed the car in. Don't drive it. And, Ford will fix it, as the car is still under warranty. I would be curious, as I am sure you are, exactly what happened to the clutch. It could be something very simple like a leaking hydraulic line. I really do not think you are out on your own, since they have been working on the car and may have created the problem. Give them a chance...
Old 10/3/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, I'd install an aftermarket clutch system. Heard nothing but good things from people who have done it. I myself will be doing one as well. I really don't want people throwing the warranty card but I know they will. Just because it's aftermarket doesn't make it the devil. My choice is SPEC. Most of their single clutch kits reflect stock driveability. I've also read where their twin disc units do the same. SPEC puts a warranty on their kits so if there's a problem, they'll take care of it. Also, JPC carries an upgraded clutch line that's braided steel and won't buckle under high heat. I see you live in AZ. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 10/4/11, 02:29 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So just after getting my car back for a month long vacation to get a new MT82, just one week later, the clutch goes out.

...I doubt the dealer/Ford will even think about servicing the car.
Hey CaptDistraction,

I'm glad to hear you made it home safe.

Your dealer should continue to work with you and I’d like to re-escalate your case. Please PM me with your current mileage.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 10/4/11 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10/6/11, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sigh, from the sounds of it (the history of the car having a clutch replaced at 10k miles then transmission at 20k), they're not going to cover the repair this time.

The clutch disk once again fell apart, lots of heat. I can't help but think this is somehow related to inconsistent action of the slave cylinder / hydraulic throwout when it gets hot, and the disk grenading is a secondary failure as a result.

The Ford engineers feel its more just a case of me hooning the car and too much clutch abuse.

I can't believe there's 100's of 2011 owners that go to drag strips, do burnouts or shift hard in these cars and their setups don't explode on them, and I've yet to do any of those things (and now certainly scared to given the car seemingly has a glass-based driveline).

I'm very frustrated, to say the least. I can't even imagine how much the dealer will cost me should the repair not be covered. I wonder if they'll even put the car back together or if I'm stuck with a huge labor bill.

If anyone has seen related failures (clutch engagement failing under heated operating conditions, or slave cylinder related issues), let me know. Pretty sure its an uphill battle from here.
Old 10/8/11, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sigh, from the sounds of it (the history of the car having a clutch replaced at 10k miles then transmission at 20k), they're not going to cover the repair this time.

The clutch disk once again fell apart, lots of heat. I can't help but think this is somehow related to inconsistent action of the slave cylinder / hydraulic throwout when it gets hot, and the disk grenading is a secondary failure as a result.

The Ford engineers feel its more just a case of me hooning the car and too much clutch abuse.

I can't believe there's 100's of 2011 owners that go to drag strips, do burnouts or shift hard in these cars and their setups don't explode on them, and I've yet to do any of those things (and now certainly scared to given the car seemingly has a glass-based driveline).

I'm very frustrated, to say the least. I can't even imagine how much the dealer will cost me should the repair not be covered. I wonder if they'll even put the car back together or if I'm stuck with a huge labor bill.

If anyone has seen related failures (clutch engagement failing under heated operating conditions, or slave cylinder related issues), let me know. Pretty sure its an uphill battle from here.
Looks like it may have just happened to me. First of all it's a Roush and I bought it for a show car and for club meets, never been abused and I have been driving manuals for 15 years. That said, I drove to a club meet, was on the road for about an hour when the clutch stuck to the floor and I could smell my clutch burning up pretty bad. Pulled over and parked, after it cooled off it was ok. Going to take it in to the dealer on Monday, I post how it goes.
Old 10/9/11, 09:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

If it's still under warranty Ford should fix it. Any update?

I had a clutch go out on a Porsche 911 about 40 miles from home. I was told to start the car in third gear and drive it that way. Sure enough it would start and pull from a dead stop in third gear and I made it home safely and then to the repair shop the next day driving it this way. You might try that if you have any further clutch failures.
Old 10/9/11, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We already talked about this but there is of course the likelihood that part of the transmission/clutch/slave was not re-assembled correctly by the dealer at your recent transmission service.
Old 10/9/11, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not quite sure what the problem is. With all your trans issues it should be covered. Either you just flat out suck at using a clutch(which I don't think that's the case) or there is an issue. You really have to try to break a clutch that quick. If you do have to pay go aftermarket with like a McLeod or spec. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10/9/11, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I'm not quite sure what the problem is. With all your trans issues it should be covered. Either you just flat out suck at using a clutch(which I don't think that's the case) or there is an issue. You really have to try to break a clutch that quick. If you do have to pay go aftermarket with like a McLeod or spec. Hope it works out for you.

This.
Old 10/9/11, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its certainly frustrating. As of now no repair has been completed or authorized. Word is they're looking for evidence to stand on for a denial, which is just silly in my opinion. I'm talking to clutch manufacturers now, but I'm still concerned the issue may lie in either the slave cylinder or the pressure plate design. Couple a high rpm stayout from centrifigul forces on the assembly with some heat and inconsistent engagement and I think that's recipe for disaster with any clutch assembly. I really don't want to end up going out of pocket on this + the costs for an aftermarket clutch and end up back telling a sad story because it was something else the whole time. Sigh, I just want to drive and enjoy my car, outside these driveline issues its still the best car I've ever purchased, and its a **** shame that it keeps going back to the shop.

I've had 2 Audis, another 2 mustangs, and a number of other cars that never had driveline issues like this. /Sunday Rant off /jmatero

Maybe they'll replace it if I agree to taking a 12 week course on "basic operation of the modern manual transmission"
Old 10/9/11, 03:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of luck with the dealer. If they do deny it, are you going to try and escalate it by speaking to a zone rep?
Old 10/9/11, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Best of luck with the dealer. If they do deny it, are you going to try and escalate it by speaking to a zone rep?
I've already done so, I called the FCS hotline and spoken with a rep and opened a case for escalation. I figured it was prudent to not sit around and wait for Ford's answer, want to make sure I'm involved in the process.
Old 10/9/11, 03:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
if the clutch linings flying apart, hate to ask but do you ever downshift more than one gear like coming down a offramp? just asking as most folks wouldnt do it, but I had a buddy that would put his datsun in first going down offramps, you could hear the 'whine' of the synchros spooling that poor little clutch disk up to probably 10~12,000 rpm... doubtful, but just thought I'd throw this out there.

heat damage can only be from slippage- either slipping too much on takeoff, or downshifting using the clutch for engine braking, or lastly, from contamination...my f150 lost a slave, kept running out og fluid- never slipped as it tended to leak rear of the pressure plate- but had it got onto the linings, who knows... but usually youll feel slippage and or smell the clutch.

only other thing might be someone assembled it wrong- improper machining of the flywheel/pressure plate, maybe disk installed flipped(some only fit one way towards engine).

I would have to guess if the fluid is low at all, or if the clutch is wet at all that they missed a bad slave cylinder the last time...brake fluid will make it slip, but it also swells/dissolves just about anything... if its leaked they probably should replace the tranny front seal too, as it could soften it up.

aside from overspeeding by downshifting and engine braking while riding the clutch, I think any other slippage by acceleration abuse you would have smelled it...Ive burned mine once just a little at the track, its a unmistakable smell. if decelerating/engine braking at speed, theres enough airflow that I doubt it would stink up the car.

hopefully theyll just find a improper assembly (but techs dont make many mistakes) or defective part. good luck
Old 10/9/11, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
if the clutch linings flying apart, hate to ask but do you ever downshift more than one gear like coming down a offramp? just asking as most folks wouldnt do it, but I had a buddy that would put his datsun in first going down offramps, you could hear the 'whine' of the synchros spooling that poor little clutch disk up to probably 10~12,000 rpm... doubtful, but just thought I'd throw this out there.

heat damage can only be from slippage- either slipping too much on takeoff, or downshifting using the clutch for engine braking, or lastly, from contamination...my f150 lost a slave, kept running out og fluid- never slipped as it tended to leak rear of the pressure plate- but had it got onto the linings, who knows... but usually youll feel slippage and or smell the clutch.

only other thing might be someone assembled it wrong- improper machining of the flywheel/pressure plate, maybe disk installed flipped(some only fit one way towards engine).

I would have to guess if the fluid is low at all, or if the clutch is wet at all that they missed a bad slave cylinder the last time...brake fluid will make it slip, but it also swells/dissolves just about anything... if its leaked they probably should replace the tranny front seal too, as it could soften it up.

aside from overspeeding by downshifting and engine braking while riding the clutch, I think any other slippage by acceleration abuse you would have smelled it...Ive burned mine once just a little at the track, its a unmistakable smell. if decelerating/engine braking at speed, theres enough airflow that I doubt it would stink up the car.

hopefully theyll just find a improper assembly (but techs dont make many mistakes) or defective part. good luck
I agree on hard to make a mistake on that setup (especially with how well the service manuals are written for these cars), but maybe that's a possibility.

I do downshift/heel-toe/engine brake sometimes in anticipation of using the lower gear. Heel toe shifting is something I'm very practiced on and do on the street, however, I don't make a habit of riding the clutch and blipping down every single gear every time.

Sometimes I'll move a gear or two down approaching a stop or light, and even more occasionally I'll move down 3-4 gears in sequence if I'm trying to practice my footing, however I have to stress that: I'm gentle, I have a great understanding/feeling for where the revs will be on the next gear and apply appropriate throttle, and I don't spend much time at all with my left foot when doing so (negates the point if you're constantly feathering or feathering for long periods). I also don't complete the downshift/heel-toe during the initial braking where I'd result in a higher rev.

If this car goes anywhere near its redline, that's because I'm fully engaged in the throttle, not because I overshot a downshift (although once in this car's history when I first had it did I have an issue with the first MT82 not allowing entry into 4th when hot and it forced selection of the gate for 2nd gear with a mild overrev, have not had any signs of that trouble with the second transmission). After losing the first clutch in the car, I did drive the car until now with the mindset that the clutch in this car was a given weak point and to take care in its use.

I also do the same in any sort of spirited driving, and if its the case that the transmission/clutch setup in this car cannot deal with that sort of use, there's something seriously wrong with it and we'd hear a lot, LOT more complaints (hell Paul Brown was just touring people around a track for Ford in a Boss 302, certainly his technique would net the same result as I faced if the setup were that fragile).

Something has to be wrong besides just hooning on the clutch, otherwise Ford would have a whole lot more people lining up needing replacement clutch units in their 2011 cars.

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 10/9/11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10/9/11, 04:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've already done so, I called the FCS hotline and spoken with a rep and opened a case for escalation. I figured it was prudent to not sit around and wait for Ford's answer, want to make sure I'm involved in the process.
Glad to hear it. I really don't think you had any fault in this, and don't believe you're to blame.
Old 10/9/11, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. I've also taken the time to review all warranty documentation, and from what I can see there's no clearly documented reason for a warranty claim denial.

There's some other interesting items in the warranty guide, everyone should review it. There's even some free maintenance (wiper blades, brake linings, etc) in the fist 12,000-18,000 miles of service of the vehicle. Interesting stuff.
Old 10/10/11, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

So picked up a call this morning from Ford, and here's the deal:

They're not going to cover it, because I "race the vehicle".

I made it clear that the vehicle is not raced or used in any form of competition.

However, it seems Ford and I have different versions of what "racing" is defined as.

Their definition-
-Any use that heats up the tires
-Any rev condition near 7k
-Any HPDE event

It doesn't matter when the fault was, the fact the vehicle was ever used on a track calls into question the warranty of the vehicle.

So now, I'm going to get the vehicle repaired, but I have to take a hard look at what I want to do. I'm paying for this vehicle for another 4 years and I have no warranty to back it (I guess I should see if the extended warranty I purchased is refundable, if I keep it maybe put that money into a savings account).

I can't imagine whatever car I'd replace this with, but I'm beyond frustrated at Ford (which I guess has every right to research how the car is used, but still no less invasive and frustrating).

This car is a mustang, a car that has performance expectations. I bought this car with certain expectations of how it would drive. They marketed this car as a car to be driven. All the positive reviews in magazines, talking to the Coyote development team and Mark Wilson of Ford Racing led me to buying this car.

It isn't fully Ford's fault, I'm equally to blame for making modifications to my car and using it on a HPDE event, but bleep-it, I really expected that the car to hold to the expectations set by Ford and Co.

Having to pay for a clutch is one thing, I can certainly understand if there's no other possible cause for it to be damaged other than exceeding the factory redline. Its another thing that if I can't expect any further warranty claim to go through on this detailed case they've built against me.

Since there's a lesson to be had, here's a link to the 2011 Mustang warranty PDF, I recommend everyone be fully aware of the terms and conditions (despite ambiguous use of language) http://tinyurl.com/3lyaq3n

So now its time to make tough decisions. Its a "darn" shame because when I think of what car I want to be in, its a Ford Mustang. Not an M3, S4, camaro, corvette, wrx, evo, lotus, etc.

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 6/4/12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10/10/11, 10:53 AM

I could see them not covering the clutch issue (although I'm not sure it's been proven that anything you've done has caused the failure), however the voiding of your entire warranty is BS.
Old 10/10/11, 10:58 AM

Not to mention that Ford had a "TRACK PACK" option package for MY2010 (although this was renamed to the more buyer-friendly "Brembo Brake Package" for MY2011)...

"Here is all this great stuff that will enhance on-track performance! But don't you dare take it on the track!!!"

If that is how Ford is going to market their vehicles, they should stand behind usage in-line with that marketing.

Could have some interesting implications for Boss owners as well...

Last edited by 06GT; 10/10/11 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Repeat clutch issue on my car...thoughts?