Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear view Mirror Buzzing (and a few minors)

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/14, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Rear view Mirror Buzzing (and a few minors)

I'm recently noticing a few minor issues, just wanted to share and hopefully get some advise.

1. Rear View Mirror Buzzing:
Mostly on bumpy roads, it would make this 'buzzing' or creaking noise. Possibly somewhere in the dashboard, not sure at first where the noise was coming from until it disappeared when I grabbed the rear view mirror. I try to tilt it a little but this only helps for short period of time, and it comes back. The dealership said they have tighten it but didn't really do much. Very annoying.

2. Pass Airbag Off:
On the top console where the map lights are, there is a warning light. I saw it on couple of days ago but it went away. I was feeling lucky Today so I put the the passenger seat belt on (had some grocery bags to hold). To my surprise, the light comes back on!

3. Fastener/Retainer keeps falling off:
I'm referring to the ones that go on back side of the tail lights, inside the trunk that holds the plastic piece. They keep falling off not being able to stay in place tight. I've tried new ones from the dealership but no luck. Keep spinning, rotate loose.
Old 1/9/14, 05:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I'm recently noticing a few minor issues, just wanted to share and hopefully get some advise.

Mostly on bumpy roads, it would make this 'buzzing' or creaking noise. Possibly somewhere in the dashboard, not sure at first where the noise was coming from until it disappeared when I grabbed the rear view mirror. I try to tilt it a little but this only helps for short period of time, and it comes back. The dealership said they have tighten it but didn't really do much. Very annoying.

2. Pass Airbag Off:
On the top console where the map lights are, there is a warning light. I saw it on couple of days ago but it went away. I was feeling lucky Today so I put the the passenger seat belt on (had some grocery bags to hold). To my surprise, the light comes back on!

I'm referring to the ones that go on back side of the tail lights, inside the trunk that holds the plastic piece. They keep falling off not being able to stay in place tight. I've tried new ones from the dealership but no luck. Keep spinning, rotate loose.
The passenger air bag light comes on when you have some weight in the seat, but not enough to enable the air bag, like when you put your groceries there. The car is telling you that, if that's a person in the seat, they should move to the rear b/c the p/s air bag won't go off in an accident.
Old 1/9/14, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
The passenger air bag light comes on when you have some weight in the seat, but not enough to enable the air bag, like when you put your groceries there. The car is telling you that, if that's a person in the seat, they should move to the rear b/c the p/s air bag won't go off in an accident.
Oh! This is completely normal then ha. I really need to put a real person there instead of some grocery bags heh.
Old 1/10/14, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any ideas on creaking noise?
Old 1/10/14, 08:59 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Hello, Wheelman is correct. I think the weight sensor in passenger seats (all new cars sold in U.S.) has a threshold of 100 lbs (not 100% sure of the exact weight). Which means if the seat sensor reads a weight of less than 100lbs, but more than 1-2lbs, it will NOT activate the front passenger airbag in the event of a front-end collision. More then 100lbs will activate the airbag. The sensor light is just letting you know...handy for parents who put their kids in the front seat. As for the rear-view mirror, I had the EXACT same problem with my 2011GT. Had to get the dealer to replace it under warranty, problem fixed, easy. For your trunk retainers, get your Ford Service Manager to take a look with you there, show him/her, and they'll get you new clips on the spot. Good luck!
Old 1/11/14, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Hello, Wheelman is correct. I think the weight sensor in passenger seats (all new cars sold in U.S.) has a threshold of 100 lbs (not 100% sure of the exact weight). Which means if the seat sensor reads a weight of less than 100lbs, but more than 1-2lbs, it will NOT activate the front passenger airbag in the event of a front-end collision. More then 100lbs will activate the airbag. The sensor light is just letting you know...handy for parents who put their kids in the front seat. As for the rear-view mirror, I had the EXACT same problem with my 2011GT. Had to get the dealer to replace it under warranty, problem fixed, easy. For your trunk retainers, get your Ford Service Manager to take a look with you there, show him/her, and they'll get you new clips on the spot. Good luck!
Thanks for the kind reply Pete. I enjoy your track day videos, something I have been dying to do ever since. I'm planning on some suspension upgrades soon, the race track awaits me! heh. Your car sounds great btw

So the mirror needs replacement hmm. Oddly, my friend's brand new GT has the same issue and so I thought this is one of those common glitches that Mustang owners live with. I'll need to mention this to my dealership.

The clips are actually new from parts dept, and same thing, they won't stay fit. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
Old 1/14/14, 07:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13

2. Pass Airbag Off:
Hey PonyMuscletang13,

I think you should have your dealer check out your vehicle, and let me get this to the customer service manager for your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get it escalated for you.

Deysha