Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Paint Issue: Need opinions/help

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/13, 07:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Issue: Need opinions/help

So Ive got a '12 PW BBP Stang... It was a nice sunny warm-ish chicago day and i decided to wash/wax the car. As i was washing it, i noticed tons of little surface rust spots which led me to the wax.. I got all of the rust colored spots off, but as i was waxing, i found some horrors. Mind you, i only have 28k miles on it. In the pictures below, there are the rocker panels above the plastic side skirts. Most of the problems (both sides) are right behind the front wheels. I took it into the dealer for some issues and pointed this out, and they immediately said it would not be covered. Mind you, there has been JLT carbon fiber flaps front and rear for most of its life to try and prevent anything from slinging up.

Its kind of depressing knowing that my 2012 has this issue, and none of my family members older cars have this issue. Not my brothers lifted 2008 swamper tire dodge ram with 60k miles, not my moms 05 bmw that sits lower than me with 60k miles, or my dads 01 bmw with 108k miles. None of them show quite the spots like i have. Maybe i am just too **** with my car?

I also brought it in because the steering wheel button has started to peel, and they said it is normal wear and tear... I mean its a plastic button on the steering wheel and im under the factory warranty. Why cant they just replace it? ive seen on here in other threads that people have had them replaced...

LMK what you guys think. I could use some ideas/help. I really dont wish to get my car repainted, and i really wont, but im very upset as this is my first NICE new car out of college, and i find these issues with no care from the dealer to help. If i am out of line, let me know. I guess im just dissappointed.

Name:  paint4_zps43946c2a.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  68.7 KB
Name:  paint5_zpsc06b23fd.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  paint6_zpsb9ea389b.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.7 KB
Name:  paint2_zps0df5760e.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  63.5 KB
Name:  paint3_zpsfdb40b70.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by Stormtrooper; 2/20/13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

What is it? I got paint work covered at 10k.
Old 2/20/13, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Its almost like thousands of small chips.
Old 2/20/13, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Rock chips/normal road damage like that never, ever, will be covered. This is why you see some cars with that clearbra stuff on the sides too.

As far as the buttons go, there are many different contaminants that will eat the paint the buttons are covered with. The buttons themselves, since they glow at night with the lights on, are a translucent white plastic with paint over them. Lotions and natual oils will eventually work their way past the lettering and under that paint. Fingernails can do it too, as will other items you might accidentally brush past them.

And in that respect they're considered a normal wear item.

---

Now, have you been to many many dealers or just the one? I ask because some dealers just don't want to deal with the paperwork of a warranty item, especially on a 'maybe' part, and especially on such a low cost part. Others will because they'd rather have you back for something else, so it's something they'll do because they have a different policy about customer satisfaction.

And the be all-end all is Ford themselves. They approve or disapprove of the warranty items. And they do audits months later, months after the customer's gone and the parts paid for... THEN they say "oh, wait, no, not so much on those buttons, dealer... you will be debited on that with your next Warranty balance update."

So yeah... little stuff is harder to warranty at some dealerships. And nobody will warranty road rash. Unless it's seriously obvious that it's coming from under the paint, in which case, definitely second and third opinons. But if it's just rock chips from road debris... yep, nope, not gonna be covered.

Last edited by houtex; 2/20/13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those look more like stains. go get some car clay and try rubbing it out. Might be worth a try.
Old 2/20/13, 10:02 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
those look more like stains. go get some car clay and try rubbing it out. Might be worth a try.
Or a little bug and tar remover. Looks like road tar stains.
Old 2/20/13, 10:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
Its almost like thousands of small chips.
That's exactly what it is. My Saleen has the same flaws from a few spirited drives through loose gravel. The tiny little rocks literally peck away at your paint. In my case, these "pebbles" wore my scoops and skirts.

My car is old now but your car is new!

That being said, You may find products that will diminish that rash a bit but for the most part they are there for good unless you swing for a body man to shoot that area. I would also invest in some Roush side splitters. They really do a good job of keeping debris off the sides off the 10-14 body style.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Issue: Need opinions/help-image-3345812975.jpg  

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/20/13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Or a little bug and tar remover. Looks like road tar stains.
Lol I'd pray it was tar if it was me. Good advice.^
Old 2/21/13, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Its not tar.. Tried that already..
Old 2/21/13, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Go this link and check out Dr. Colorchip for touch up. The photo on their WEB page looks like your car. I have this kit, but have not had to use it yet.

http://drcolorchip.com
Old 2/21/13, 09:25 PM
GT Member

^ ive been thinking about that kit. Im wondering if anyone on here has tried it.
Old 2/22/13, 11:51 AM

There's to way to many chips for touch up. You need a wet sand and shoot from a body man.
Old 2/26/13, 06:48 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
So Ive got a '12 PW BBP Stang... It was a nice sunny warm-ish chicago day and i decided to wash/wax the car. As i was washing it, i noticed tons of little surface rust spots which led me to the wax.. I got all of the rust colored spots off, but as i was waxing, i found some horrors. Mind you, i only have 28k miles on it. In the pictures below, there are the rocker panels above the plastic side skirts. Most of the problems (both sides) are right behind the front wheels. I took it into the dealer for some issues and pointed this out, and they immediately said it would not be covered. Mind you, there has been JLT carbon fiber flaps front and rear for most of its life to try and prevent anything from slinging up.
Originally Posted by houtex
Rock chips/normal road damage like that never, ever, will be covered. This is why you see some cars with that clearbra stuff on the sides too.

As far as the buttons go, there are many different contaminants that will eat the paint the buttons are covered with. The buttons themselves, since they glow at night with the lights on, are a translucent white plastic with paint over them. Lotions and natual oils will eventually work their way past the lettering and under that paint. Fingernails can do it too, as will other items you might accidentally brush past them.

And in that respect they're considered a normal wear item...
Hello Stormtrooper,

houtex’s info is correct. As per your warranty guide, environmental concerns will not be covered under warranty. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is in place for manufacturer’s defects. Regarding the steering wheel buttons, I recommend you get a second opinion at a different Ford dealer. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get it escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha