Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My traction control went off by itself today.

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/11, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My traction control went off by itself today.

This happened just 10 minutes ago while I was driving home. I was going about 20 mph when suddenly the traction control off light and the stability control system light came on at the same time. I did not press the traction control button. I have a 2012 GT stick with 3700 miles on the car. I restarted the car, and both the lights went away. I drove for another 10 minutes and the lights did not return. This is the first time this happened, and it's a safety concern. I was in an unpaved rocky parking lot yesterday and maybe some pebbles got stuck in my tires, do you think this is the case? I was NOT in the rocky parking lot today when this happened. I was on a smooth paved road. Has this happened to anyone? anyone know the cause?
Old 10/11/11, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

anyone?
Old 10/11/11, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of this & am pretty sure this is the 1st I've heard of it.
Old 10/11/11, 11:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No, this has never happened to me. And, no, I do not know what caused it.

However, if I had to guess, the car gods were telling you that driving so slow (20 mph) in a Mustang is wrong, and that they turned off the the traction control and stability control so that you could put the hammer down and do some drifting like god intended. Again, just a guess.
The following users liked this post:
RayeMarie (9/30/21)
Old 10/12/11, 03:03 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the car wanted to do donuts.

we dont sound very helpful
The following users liked this post:
RayeMarie (9/30/21)
Old 10/12/11, 06:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
This happened just 10 minutes ago while I was driving home. I was going about 20 mph when suddenly the traction control off light and the stability control system light came on at the same time.
Hi Will3212,

I have not heard of this either, but I think you should consult this with your Service Manager at your dealer and get it diagnosed. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 10/12/11, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened just 10 minutes ago while I was driving home. I was going about 20 mph when suddenly the traction control off light and the stability control system light came on at the same time. I did not press the traction control button. I have a 2012 GT stick with 3700 miles on the car. I restarted the car, and both the lights went away. I drove for another 10 minutes and the lights did not return. This is the first time this happened, and it's a safety concern. I was in an unpaved rocky parking lot yesterday and maybe some pebbles got stuck in my tires, do you think this is the case? I was NOT in the rocky parking lot today when this happened. I was on a smooth paved road. Has this happened to anyone? anyone know the cause?
yep. it happened to me once. felt like a flat rear tire. i pulled over, turned tc full off then back on and its never done it again.
Old 10/12/11, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
yep. it happened to me once. felt like a flat rear tire. i pulled over, turned tc full off then back on and its never done it again.
so you never found out what caused it? did you really have a flat rear tire?
Old 10/13/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

so you never found out what caused it? did you really have a flat rear tire?
no tire problem. it was the brakes pulsating and stopping the car. i didnt look for a light on the dash.
Old 10/13/11, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rocks/pebbles in the tires would not cause this. Sounds like an hiccup in the elec. system. I would just drive it and not worry. You need to get out and enjoy that car more.....
Old 10/13/11, 11:02 AM

I've had the traction/stability control lamps light at the same time when I've driven thru a puddle (well, mini-lake's ) and soaked underside of the car ..

Also, the first tune I got after installing my SC'er caused that to happen a couple times when driving and I started climbing a steep grade. the car would stumble and those lamps lit ...

I dunno' if that was tune related, but after I took the car back to the tuner so he could fix a couple other tune issues, I did not have that problem again ,, Except fer' the standing water ...

As far as being unsafe? Both lights on indicate a malfunction was observed, and the TCS is likely disabled until you retart the car ((I've not tested that )) ... but I do know after I restart and clear the lights, my TCS still functions like it's sposed' to n' cuts power when I'm spinning .. as it did this morning as I drove in the rain and spun while turning into the parking lot at work ...

Old 11/11/11, 12:28 PM

My 2012 v6 has done the same thing. It happened last night again for the third time. I'm going to make an appointment to take her in in to the dealer.
Old 11/11/11, 01:12 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
However, if I had to guess, the car gods were telling you that driving so slow (20 mph) in a Mustang is wrong, and that they turned off the the traction control and stability control so that you could put the hammer down and do some drifting like god intended. Again, just a guess.
THIS

though I do hope you get that sorted out Will. Its not so much whether its on or off thats dangerous, its the fact that it happens on its own. Good luck
Old 2/24/13, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

anybody ever figure out what caused this? it happened to me today.
Old 3/4/13, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
anybody ever figure out what caused this? it happened to me today.
Hello southcarolilna12,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 6/18/14, 08:46 AM

We have a 2011 Mustang GT. A few weeks ago we backed out of a space and the system activated the brakes for no reason. Yesterday I made a hard u-turn on a city street. The traction control activated and pulsed the brakes a few times then it went off. I entered the freeway after driving about a block then got up to about 70mph. The traction control activated again and kept working the brakes. I had to move over three lanes in heavy traffic hoping the brakes would not lock up before I could get off the road. I was tapping the emergency lights switch while I was distracted and may have hit the traction control switch as well that shut it off. I really couldn't tell s I was worried about all the other vehicles between me and the side of the road. As I moved over and got slowed down the system quit working the brakes. This is dangerous especially on a freeway in Seattle. We are having the local dealer examine the system.

Last edited by randyzon; 6/18/14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 6/18/14, 08:59 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Abs issues can be weird- and scary. our old windstar had a front wheel sensor plug that had a flaky connection, sometimes on a bumpy road or when just turning the wheel the abs would kick on... one day was driving over a road they had scarified for repaving, a little bumpy, the abs kicked on as I slowed- or tried to. standing on the brakes the car was barely braking as apparently it thought it was skidding, but nope... pulled the ebrake and skidded the rear tires but stopped it pretty quick. was only like 25mph, but still scary when your braking computer says 'no'.

I kept the ABS off button lit till getting it fixed, and it was like any non-abs car- brakes just worked... but (on 98 models anyways) if a sensor ever came loose, the ABS could just about effectively disable the brakes... I doubt the thing had more than a few percent of the normal, non panic stop deceleration- about like youd get standing on the brakes on a icy road...

if you think you might have a sensor issue, document when/how/etc, and get it looked at- in the meantime if it were me I'd keep it turned off, at least then it cant start pulling braking power away from you.
Old 6/20/14, 05:24 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
interesting have had the same issue with an 08 freestar. when new the system would turn off by itself. there was some switch on the firewall that would get wet and malfunction. that was fixed. recently on two occasions, the system kicked in when turning. just shut system down and full power etc returned. If it happens again I'll have to get it into the dealer or maybe look for the connection myself.
Old 6/20/14, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by randyzon
We have a 2011 Mustang GT. A few weeks ago we backed out of a space and the system activated the brakes for no reason. Yesterday I made a hard u-turn on a city street. The traction control activated and pulsed the brakes a few times then it went off. I entered the freeway after driving about a block then got up to about 70mph. The traction control activated again and kept working the brakes. I had to move over three lanes in heavy traffic hoping the brakes would not lock up before I could get off the road. I was tapping the emergency lights switch while I was distracted and may have hit the traction control switch as well that shut it off. I really couldn't tell s I was worried about all the other vehicles between me and the side of the road. As I moved over and got slowed down the system quit working the brakes. This is dangerous especially on a freeway in Seattle. We are having the local dealer examine the system.
I received your PM and will get back to you soon, randyzon.

Deysha
Old 6/20/14, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mines programmed to stay off, good riddance.

Quick Reply: My traction control went off by itself today.