Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My 2010 GT has rod knocking. Best option?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/21, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 GT has rod knocking. Best option?

My 2010 mustang GT has rod knocking. Remanufactured engines are almost $7k. I found a 20,000 mile engine, with 3yr. parts and labor warranty for $5700 plus labor to install. will an older 5.0 mustang engine fit my car. CJ's Automotive in Winchester Tn has the car now. They don't rebuild engines but looked up
the labor that showed 40 hours {$4000} I live in middle Tennessee { Tullahoma, Tn } I'm looking for suggestions or help. Thanks
Old 7/10/21, 12:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

The older 5.0 question is... interesting. Do you mean the old 5.0/302 that the Fox/SN95 bodies had? No. It won't work. If you mean the newer 5.0 Coyote motor, then yes it will technically fit as it's in the 2011-2014, but it won't work with your car because a lot of differences. Not that you can't make those work if you *really* tried, but you might surpass the cost estimates above doing it. Your best, cheapest option is to keep a 2008-2010 3v 4.6L in it for compatibility reasons.

As to the 4.6L replacement motor itself... those seem quite high. But then I don't know what you're getting quotes for or from whom.

I found this:
https://www.jegs.com/p/ATK-Engines/A...&model=MUSTANG
Now I'm not saying that's what they're getting, but it's still intriguing enough as an option... It's a long block, ready to go. Just swap your intake and valve covers, all the wiring and accessories, and stuff it back in where the old one came out of.

There's also this:
https://www.lkqonline.com/2010-ford-...ngine-assembly
There is currently a 4.6L available, 95K miles, for 2200 bucks, apparently shipped? Can't be sure on that...

You might also call up J&J Auto Wrecking, they may have something. And I found 3 motors on ebay for sub 2000 shipped, various mileage, one sub 100K. Point bein' I'm sure the 5700 dollar 20K mile engine is nice, but... And for sure the 7K motor I'd like to know what's up with that. Sounds a bit much overall is all, when a good used motor can still be acquired and would probably work just as well... but that's your call.

For me? Well, I'm the stubborn ol' coot that'd go all fool and buy that ATK thing and swap that motor myself. Or possibly one of the used ones, whatever. But then my Mustang's not my daily/only, and I have a garage full of a spot for a Mustang and pretty much all the tools I need to do the job. Time won't be a problem, she can just sit until I get back to it if I can't finish it in one go. Savin' money and doin' it myself, my favorite thing. I'd probably then, after doing that swap, rebuild the original motor, WD40 it and bag it up. Heck, I'd probably get the pretty valve covers while I was at it for that one, and probably go nuts painting it up too, because why not. Unless I just had cash to burn, then yeah, a Coyote swap is the thing, but holy carp that's an expensive toy, so not really all that inclined. So I'd have the 'new' motor in, the rebuild original ready to go just in case. And/or I could sell the original, or swap them again and then sell the ATK... or rebuild it to my specs... Just things are possible then, y'know?

That said, I know not everyone has that luxury of a garage, tools, time, storage, extra car/other means of transportation... but if you do, well, I'd say maybe go for it.

---

All THAT said... I went and had a gander, and it's not lookin' like a whole lot more money to just get another Mustang, should you have to for whatever reason stick to those numbers in your post. I mean, you seem to be lookin' at up to 11000 at those rates. 15000 will get you another Mustang 4.6L, so... You might want to consider that as an option. Yes, the engine not being happy doesn't help your current Mustang's value, but either way you're gonna spend money. Just need to weigh things out and make your best choice.

I'm also wondering about the 40 hours, aka 5 work days at 8 hours each, to swap a motor? I just... I'm missing something, aren't I? I mean, it seems a bit much. Oh, sure, depending on the state, and therefore salt or not, conditions, etc... but even still, that seems a bit long to do the swap... Just having a struggle with it is all.

I took too long with this one, rewriting, reconsidering, researching, rewriting again... and I'm not sure I helped. I hope I did in some way, if only in a consideration of things, relatively speaking, so you make your best decision for you. I wish you luck on everything!
Old 7/10/21, 02:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Is the 2009 Bullitt and 2010 Mustang 4.6 the only motors that work because off the adaptive ECU? I thought that was mentioned when I was thinking about the V6 to GT swap in my 2010.

Last edited by Siber Express; 7/10/21 at 07:07 AM.
Old 7/12/21, 04:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
yeah a I'm pretty sure different engine would need a different ECU to go with it, and I think that all ties in to the dashboard too, so it might need a new gage cluster and who knows what else . . . so I'd try to stick with a 2010 engine, or 2008-2009 Bullitt engine if possible

I don't know if you have already searched for used engines; but most "salvage yards" (formerly known as junk yards) are searchable on-line and have national networks these days