Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Loud squealing noise when I start up car and then goes away when warmed up?? Not belt

Old 4/17/17, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loud squealing noise when I start up car and then goes away when warmed up?? Not belt

Help!

I have had a rather loud high pitches squealing noise for MONTHS now. Coming from my 2010 v6 mustang.
I took it to one chain mechanic who said it was the belt... the replaced the belt and the next day it was making the noise again.
Tensioner was replaced, twice (the first belt was cheap), still making the noise.
Anyone know what this could be?

Stepping on the clutch has no effect on it, as far as I know turning on or off the air also has no effect on it. I makes the loud squeal for several minutes and then as I start driving, usually by the time I get out of my neighborhood it stops, which is about a half a mile.

I took it to a shop and of course... they never hear the noise. It makes it just about every morning I start the **** car up for work and then left it over night at the shop last night so they could start it up today and nothing... of course somehow the car doesn't make the noise. I am not sure what time they started it up but its possible weather might effect it? It seems louder in the morning when its cooler but I could be wrong. I managed to get a video of it like they asked me to but when I brought in the video they seemed stumped and told me they would have to see the car while it was making the noise. One mentioned it could be a bearing in the alternator?

Its getting the point though where I have already spent over $400 on it and still not fixed the problem. I drive long distances with it to FL and I am afraid it is just going to quit on me on the way there in the middle of nowhere... would really like to figure out what it is.

I have a video, if I can figure out how to attach it here I will.
Old 4/18/17, 07:45 AM
Mek
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keckles
Help!

I have had a rather loud high pitches squealing noise for MONTHS now. Coming from my 2010 v6 mustang.
I took it to one chain mechanic who said it was the belt... the replaced the belt and the next day it was making the noise again.
Tensioner was replaced, twice (the first belt was cheap), still making the noise.
Anyone know what this could be?

Stepping on the clutch has no effect on it, as far as I know turning on or off the air also has no effect on it. I makes the loud squeal for several minutes and then as I start driving, usually by the time I get out of my neighborhood it stops, which is about a half a mile.

I took it to a shop and of course... they never hear the noise. It makes it just about every morning I start the **** car up for work and then left it over night at the shop last night so they could start it up today and nothing... of course somehow the car doesn't make the noise. I am not sure what time they started it up but its possible weather might effect it? It seems louder in the morning when its cooler but I could be wrong. I managed to get a video of it like they asked me to but when I brought in the video they seemed stumped and told me they would have to see the car while it was making the noise. One mentioned it could be a bearing in the alternator?

Its getting the point though where I have already spent over $400 on it and still not fixed the problem. I drive long distances with it to FL and I am afraid it is just going to quit on me on the way there in the middle of nowhere... would really like to figure out what it is.

I have a video, if I can figure out how to attach it here I will.
Many 4.0ls have had issues with the harmonic balancer coming apart. Basically the outer ring of the pulley separates from the rubber core. There is an updated pulley that can be purchased, I am not sure if it was used in the 2010 model, but may be worth checking. Do a google search and you will find a lot of info.
Old 4/18/17, 03:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Went through this with my sons 2006. One day he calls me up to come help with the car. The Harmonic balancer was pushed in toward the block. I wedged the belt on the dies of the pulley to get it home. It was fun removing and replacing the Balancer. Do it now before the same thing happens. When you take it off you will be surprised it lasted that long. LOL The noise is the belt rubbing on the side or the pulley.

Search this Thread